Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #127

Thanks Rkh, I will call Michelin. I kept one of the 2 original tires as a spare as it was in very good condition without any signs of aging or cracking. I thought since the originals where 8 to 9 years old I would gradually start replacing them 2 at a time. I carried the spare the first 2 of 3 trips in the 18 months, but Murphy's Law, didn't bring it on this last trip.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #128

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Also, Gregory.. When I bought my current coach, and before I took delivery, I noticed two tires that had the same bump as your tire. Not as pronounced, but pretty much identical. They are 255 /80r/22.5 xrv with a mid 2012 date stamp. The MH dealer investigated my concern and offered to show me a Michelin "bulletin" explaining that this bump was a function of normal manufacturing. I did not even look at the bulletin, rather I requested they be replaced before I would close the deal. In retrospect, I should have at least looked at the "bulletin". At the time, I believed I was in the cat bird seat and didn't need any stinking bulletins...hahahah. In my layman's mind, if this bubble is there due to a normal manufacturing process, why didn't the other 4 tires have the bubble?

Don't hold me to it but my understanding is that sometimes there is a thickening of the cord material where there is a splice that in turn causes the bulge.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins

Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #129
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alan, I believe that was the exact term I heard.. A seam or join of the sidewall. I was told the memo,stated this was "normal" and nothing to be concerned with. I have dealt with Michelin support before and found them very helpful. I hope that they would take a look at the picture Gregory has, comment on it, and even supply him with this memo if appropriate. Looking forward to Gregory's feedback..
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best way to cure Michelin zipper blowouts is to quit buying Michelins.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #131
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Best way to cure Michelin zipper blowouts is to quit buying Michelins.

If the tire fails at this bubble/seam/joint.. Is that known as a "zipper" blowout in the industry? I see nothing about this as it relates to a pervasive problem with Michelin.. Only mentioned in some forums, but no real industry info.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #132
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Has anyone ever had a defective tire replaced by Michelin? I purchased 2 235/80Rx22.5 tires 18 months ago thru FMCA and I just notice this fault on one of them when I returned home from a 8 week trip this week. I stopped at 2 Michelin dealer near home .
Neither had any stock , both indicated it was very unlikely it would be covered by warranty. Michelin will say " they have never made a defective tire , it is damaged."
One shop said they couldn't remember ever having a Michelin tire being covered by warranty
I can't be 100% certain but it appears you have either broken body cord or an open body ply splice.
Now if it was an open splice it would have had this bulge from day one. Are you certain this was not on the tire when initially mounted?

If the bulge was not there when first mounted then it is probably broken body cord. Broken steel cord is a bit unusual but not impossible.

Can you get a similar close-up well lit shot of the tire with the bulge up? I would think an impact strong enough to break the steel would have left marks on the outside of the tire.

In any event, open splice or broken cord the tire should be deflated ASAP. Mark the sidewall as the damage is not easy to see when not inflated.
There is danger of sidewall rupture so for your safety do not drive on this tire.

Shame on the dealers for not warning you of potential tire failure.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #133
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Don't hold me to it but my understanding is that sometimes there is a thickening of the cord material where there is a splice that in turn causes the bulge.

Thanks,

Alan

Nope. If the splice of body cord was doubled up there would be an indentation not a bulge out.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #134

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Nope. If the splice of body cord was doubled up there would be an indentation not a bulge out.

Let me reword it. When the cords overlap each other where they start and where they end make a thickening of the cords. Again, don't hold me to it. I've just been told the same thing, it's a result of the manufacturing process and considered normal.

Thanks,

Alan

Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #135
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
If the tire fails at this bubble/seam/joint.. Is that known as a "zipper" blowout in the industry? I see nothing about this as it relates to a pervasive problem with Michelin.. Only mentioned in some forums, but no real industry info.
This is NOT a "Zipper".
Zipper run circumferential and are the result of over-flexing of the sidewall and fatigue of the steel body cord due to operation in underinflation/overload condition. Zipper failures run many inches long.
Picture of Zipper failure in THIS post.

If there is a bulge outward in a radial direction then the body cord is not restraining the air pressure in the tire. The reason for this is either there is no body cord at that location of the cord that was there is broken for a few strands (1/4" to 1/2" distance circumferential)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #136
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Tireman, your response should help Stuhly..
So in your opinion, there is no scenario where a bulge like this is normal and safe?
Makes me wish I had looked at the supposed Michelin bulletin my MH dealer wanted to show me saying the bulge in my tires, which looks just like Gregory's, was normal. Caused by the joining of materials. I'll bet it referenced an indentation, not a bulge.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Has anyone ever had a defective tire replaced by Michelin? I purchased 2 235/80Rx22.5 tires 18 months ago thru FMCA and I just notice this fault on one of them when I returned home from a 8 week trip this week. I stopped at 2 Michelin dealer near home .
Neither had any stock , both indicated it was very unlikely it would be covered by warranty. Michelin will say " they have never made a defective tire , it is damaged."
One shop said they couldn't remember ever having a Michelin tire being covered by warranty
I had 2 XRVs replaced by Michelin, in 2008, due to minor cracking.

Your tire damage looks like impact damage to my untrained eye.

How much pressure do you carry in your tires???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #138

I run 85 lbs as recommended on coach tire label. I'll take a better picture tomorrow with bulge at a top position. I'll call Michelin about it and find out where to take it. I will not drive the coach and I have the tools to remove the wheel and take it in.
As we just returned home yesterday, the priority is to unload , clean up the coach &
winterize it while we have a few good days of weather here. We don't recall impacting anything on the trip as I would think it would have noticed, felt, or heard it.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #139

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wow I zoomed in on that tire and there is nothing normal looking about it. Scary to me.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #140
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Let me reword it. When the cords overlap each other where they start and where they end make a thickening of the cords. Again, don't hold me to it. I've just been told the same thing, it's a result of the manufacturing process and considered normal.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan partial credit

Yes at the splice location (where body ply application starts & stops) the goal is no open or overlap with probably a tolerance of about 1 cord open to 1 cord overlap.

BUT an overlap of 2, 3 or more cords will cause a thickening and a depression not a bulge out as seen in the picture. The thickening is COSMETIC only.

An open of a few cords is an area of lower strength. This will probably result in a bulge OUT. This is potential safety issue and the tire needs inspection and probable replacement. If judged acceptable by the tire company engineers IN WRITING than I would go with what the ENGINEERS say. I would not trust a dealer on this.