Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Idaho: check out the link below. What I've read about cracks is that 1/32 (deep or wide?) is okay. But 2/32 or greater, you are at risk of a blowout.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...k7fc4vrY9zbrsQ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #44
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tealstar, what a mess..eh? People here on the board have been giving you some very good advise. Some of the delivery may be harsh, but the good advise is still there. Through all the information you've provided so far, you still have a simple issue. Tire damage due to under inflation. Tire safety and proper tire management is ALWAYS best managed by the user. It is NOT something that should left to the occasional visit to a tire shop, no matter how big and national. You seem to dispute that. There are a ton of circumstances that can cause tire issues. And since they are the most critical items protecting you and your coach, anyone that owns and drives an RV must take responsibility for ensuring tires are safe. You will not find an RVer that feels differently. You are alone on this on. Checking tire pressure is easy with the correct tire gauge. Buy one and learn how to use it. You should also carry some sort of on board air compressor large enough to fill your tires to the required pressure.
As others have told you, 110lbs of pressure in your tires is WAY too much.
Sorry you've found yourself in this avoidable situation..

Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #45

I felt the need to chime in about the issue of not being able to check tire pressure on the rear inside duels. When I bought my coach, I could not check them either. I made it top priority to fix that issue. I tried braided stainless hoses. Found out those were junk. Took those off right away and found a great tire shop in Columbus, Ohio that knew what they were doing. They installed the correct length valve stems and bent them to the proper angle so I can use any duel chuck gauge to check and add air. (I also had the ceramic beads installed with filtered valve cores).

The tire shop may have screwed something up, but if the air was checked by the user as it should be, the low pressure issue would have been caught and fixed before this major problem would have come up. When you have the proper valve stems, there is no need to rely on someone else to do it for you. And when you do it, there's a better chance your going to do it right.

Bottom line is this. They screwed up. Fine. You did not do you due diligence during the air pressure checks to make sure you had the proper stems. And I feel you also did not do your due diligence checking pressure during that 2 week span when it went flat. I would leave that tire store immediately. Find a heavy truck tire center and ask questions about valve stems and valve cores before they touch the tires. If they can install the proper items, have them install the tires. If they are clueless, walk out.
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
valve cores

You guys crack me up...due diligence? Improper use of the term Rkh. Legal and mfg-quality development background too in high tolerance, hard to machine parts for disc drives. These guys screwed up and they have to replace the tires. Even Michelin understands that.

This core valve issue, which appears to be a tolerance issue, is interesting. There appears to be issues with the wrong types & fit . The more I look into it, the closer I come to figuring out how they loosened the stem checking air pressure.

Finally, it was their "duty" to make certain they sealed the valve & did not introduce an issue that would create a failure.

No air loss for almost 3 years until they touched it.....knock off the aggressive blame game. I'm here to figure out a problem, not get in a fight over whether your buddies are culpable or not, but appears they are.

Thank you to the good guys...I know there are good guys out there.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:30 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Excuse me, Rkh, it was Soneil with the screwey use of "due diligence."

Soneil, are the tire guys your friends? You arebsure vigorously defending them. Tell them to look up the legal definition of "duty."

I don't inspect valve stems, or do engine work or oil changes---I hire people with experience to do that. I hired experience tire people to do this job. They neglected to complete a task to keep me, and everyone around me, safe on the road. Duty lies with them.

What is amazing, is how a company will take a $1000, or less, problem, and turn it into a loss $10,000's+ greater, including loss of business, by not abiding by the single most effective "intelligent" business strategy of excellent customer service: the customer is always right.

Is expecting smart too much to expect? I'll keep wishing.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
[moderator edit]

I don't do engines, oil changes, and why do pressure checks when I can have it done for me for free before I hit the road, on the road, whenever?
Ever hear of a hammer????
Old 10-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you guys mad because of the new tires?
Is this an RV envy thing?
It takes way more work to research a solution rather than let someone advantage of you. It takes a lot of work to see it through. It puts the perps on notice, and helps people who will come after me.

My nephew served 5 Iraq tours for it and new tires will get me to his graduation in engineering next spring. Think positive.

[moderator edit]
Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tealstar, years ago when I was working in the tire business with GY as a flunky we would check tire pressures for people all the time. The cardinal rule for us was to ALWAYS check the core for a leak after checking the pressure or adding/removing air. If a tire was ruined from loss of air a short time later, we replaced the tire many times if no other reason for failure could be found. Obviously the tread was measured and price prorated. It never seemed like a good deal to perform a service for free that costs your company later BUT if the person checked for core leaks before the cap goes on it shouldn't be an issue. Our company policy was to provide that service to the customer as a full service tire dealership. Tire pressure maintenance can be performed by the RV owner but if I was to think for a minute a person in their twilight years with knee replacements can get down there and check pressures..... If at all possible you should invest in a TPMS or at a minimum get a tire thumper from a truck stop and thump your tires when you stop and listen for a change in tone from tire to tire.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #51
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tealstar,
You told your story about how the tire dealer caused an issue. You asked for opinions as to whether the damage was significant vs what you were being told by the tire dealer.
- Most of us told you the dealer is wrong and that the tires are not safe..(you're welcome)
- I too, would get new tires out of them. Tires are expensive and I expect most of us would have demanded new ones. But that's not the point.
- You were offered "best practices" advise that would have prevented all of this. No one is defending the tire dealer.
- There are so many things that can go wrong in a MH causing delays and loss of $$$. This one could have flat out been avoided.

Since joining this board several years ago I have learned and implemented many PROACTIVE procedures. I believe they have helped me avoid problems and keep me safer. I am happy you eventually will be made whole and on the road again, really, I am.
But given your resistance and defensive attitude towards advise, I worry that unless you are extremely lucky, your next delay is right around the corner.
Good luck.
RKH
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Wow I have been following this thread and I think Tealstar got caught up in defending her side of the story so much that she in fact forgot that people look for advice and opinions on this site and everyone was trying to do that and had her safety in mind too.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Tealstar, years ago when I was working in the tire business with GY as a flunky we would check tire pressures for people all the time. The cardinal rule for us was to ALWAYS check the core for a leak after checking the pressure or adding/removing air. If a tire was ruined from loss of air a short time later, we replaced the tire many times if no other reason for failure could be found. Obviously the tread was measured and price prorated. It never seemed like a good deal to perform a service for free that costs your company later BUT if the person checked for core leaks before the cap goes on it shouldn't be an issue. Our company policy was to provide that service to the customer as a full service tire dealership. Tire pressure maintenance can be performed by the RV owner but if I was to think for a minute a person in their twilight years with knee replacements can get down there and check pressures..... If at all possible you should invest in a TPMS or at a minimum get a tire thumper from a truck stop and thump your tires when you stop and listen for a change in tone from tire to tire.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD

Alan how much would a descent TPMS system cost for a six wheel MH?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #54

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Alan how much would a descent TPMS system cost for a six wheel MH?

Off the top of my head I don't recall.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 10-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not a problem, I'll look some up.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Alan, for mentioning the physical limitations. I've had 4 abdominal surgeries since 2011 and 8" of my small intestine removed through the same incision. I drive no more than about 100-150 miles per day due to medical issues and avoid exposing myself to scrapes and dirt due to a compromised immune system from all the chemo I had to do.

[moderator edit]

The original main issue I was asking for advice, was whether side wall splits and revulcanizing treads on RV tires is done often. Since then, the post evolved into some blaming me for the flat, which is legally not my responsibility due to "duty of care", and Michelin customer care responded with excellent, mature customer service. They are trying to resolve the issue.

I want the same great tires I road in with for the safety check. Sadly, due to safety highway standards and liability issues---all the tires need to be replaced--legally, at their cost--and there are none in stock anywhere of my preference : Michelin. And I have now lost the job I was going to in CA over this issue.

So, meanwhile, the story has evolved to this question: what are the best tires for this style coach?

My goal is to see my nephew graduate with his engineering deree next spring and it is a long trip in the Rockies. I try to stay in his life as the crazy aunt. He was in Iraq 5 tours....

Thank you! :-))