Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #57

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Thanks Alan, for mentioning the physical limitations. I've had 4 abdominal surgeries since 2011 and 8" of my small intestine removed through the same incision. I drive no more than about 100-150 miles per day due to medical issues and avoid exposing myself to scrapes and dirt due to a compromised immune system from all the chemo I had to do.

[moderator edit]

The original main issue I was asking for advice, was whether side wall splits and revulcanizing treads on RV tires is done often. Since then, the post evolved into some blaming me for the flat, which is legally not my responsibility due to "duty of care", and Michelin customer care responded with excellent, mature customer service. They are trying to resolve the issue.

I want the same great tires I road in with for the safety check. Sadly, due to safety highway standards and liability issues---all the tires need to be replaced--legally, at their cost--and there are none in stock anywhere of my preference : Michelin. And I have now lost the job I was going to in CA over this issue.

So, meanwhile, the story has evolved to this question: what are the best tires for this style coach?

My goal is to see my nephew graduate with his engineering deree next spring and it is a long trip in the Rockies. I try to stay in his life as the crazy aunt. He was in Iraq 5 tours....

Thank you! :-))

Tealstar, IMHO, Michelin are good tires but expensive. There are a number of other good tires out there you can buy and if Michelin is going to warrant the old tires you probably won't have many choices in your situation. I had an issue similar to yours on GoodYear and that was resolved the same day. It was the second tire of a set to blow out so I asked for all to be replaced. Dealer said no, I called GY, dealer was called by GY, he was not happy but all the tires came in two days and he replaced them all. Including a spare that had never been on the ground. Do get yourself a hammer or nite stick so you can thump tires if you don't plan to get a TPMS.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
When I purchased the coach 12/2010, brand new Michelin's were requested to close the deal. All are in great shape and have given me outstanding performance--except for the 2 the dealer is liable for damaging. I'm considering staying north, skipping AZ/CA this winter, to wait for new replacements to roll off the line.

When a company treats me well, as Michelin has done, I'm extremely loyal. It's so hard to find people who understand the benefits of excellent customer service: The customer is always right.

I'm going to close out my posts here on that very upbeat note and hope all listening in have learned through my experiences to stay safe on the road.

Take care...Tealstar
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #59

Assuming all 6 tires are the same now you could put new tires on the front and take those 2 to replace the 2 bad ones. A tire size will be within a tight spec actual size wise so saying there would be a clearance issue using XZE.s vs the XRVs is not true. Sorry you had this trouble but you have learned something from it as well as many others who read the post. You have many solutions that cost no money or a smaller amount, you don't have to buy 6 new Michelin tires to cure your problem.

Quote:
DD: thanks for the tip.

Francesca: the tires 'were' safety checked before a major trip down I5 from the North Cascades. I'm not driving 24/7..

This tire chain has 400 locations...it's hard to not find one on the road.
I'm calling b.s. on my being able to gauge the inside tires when people who do this all day have a hard time.

And..yes...all tires have to be replaced, because there are: 1. No XRV's in stock anywhere, 2. The idea of using 2 new XZE's may be problematic due to clearance issues with the Allegro Bay, and 3. There have been legal judgments against tire companies in the millions over highway fatalities when new and old tires are combined on these heavier vehicles; and when they used retreads on a tire, that by highway safety standards, should not be retreaded. The latter was an ~8 million judgment apportioned between this tire company and a truck driver for killing 2 people due to a blow out of a tire that should have not been on the road.

There are NSTC issues with mine too.

All the tires have to be replaced, they knew that, and the solution to put me back on the freeway, with a known legal case history of highway fatalities--was their choice. Obviously, they have not learned their lesson.

Does not make me feel real secure on the road known they do semi truck retreads and side wall repairs.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
The Resolution: Michelin is the very best and...

The disappointing news: Les Schwab Tires. I gave them many chances before revealing their name.

Corporate person hood calling the female heirs of Margie Denton. Please come back. A frontal lobotomy of executives destroying the legacy and good will and hard work of your late father, Les, is vital before they destroy it. So many class action and multimillion dollar settlements, especially for bad retreads, since Les' passing, and the passing of his only heir.

The heroes: Michelin is offering me 80% for the tires, but since they will not have stock of the XRV's until spring, it looks like 6 new Toyo? They made the offer for Les Schwab to pick up the other 20%, which, at Les Schwab's cost, would have been ~200.00. That is, Michelin was going to pay Les Schwab 80% for 6 new tires. I am just sad I have to give up the Michelin's.

What a great company. They went beyond the extra mile. Buy Michelin's.

Les Schwab said no. No. That is not "...the Les Schwab promise..we make it right...peace of mind on the highway..." philosophy.

Les Schwab offer is to dismount the 2 tires, put them on a truck to Prinville, run both through a revulcanization retread and side wall split manufacturing procedure, (not done for XRV's, voiding my tire warranty) let them cure, truck them back to Portland, and remount them at no charge.

WTH?

So, I will gratefully be going to a Michelin dealer (the
and cough up the 20% & stick it to them later.

Wondering if they have a class forming from accidents due to unseating & not checking the core valves. Simply astonishing.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #61

Yes, astonishing indeed.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone have experience with Yokahama tires?
I'm working with a Michelin dealer now who has 5 star online reviews.

(Toyo is a Les Schwab brand, who has 200-300 complaints on Rip off report & po'd customer.))
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Anyone have experience with Yokahama tires?
I'm working with a Michelin dealer now who has 5 star online reviews.

(Toyo is a Les Schwab brand, who has 200-300 complaints on Rip off report & po'd customer.))
A huge truck shop in California that did my alignment recommended Bridgestone's for value . He said my Goodyear RV tires are junk. My next tires won't have 1 ply sidewalls like my Goodyear's and Michelins.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club

Les Schwab doesn't sell Michelins.

I wouldn't have the nerve to drop in a on a regular basis for tire monitoring/maintenance of tires I'd purchased elsewhere, but that's just me. Their "free air" policy evidently extends to all, regardless of where the tires were purchased. A commendable charity, but hardly one that creates a business contractual relationship between themselves and the person receiving the free service. I'm frankly impressed that they offered to fix the tires, given your own admission that you don't monitor for air and thus didn't notice they were going flat in time to prevent the damage.

Also given the above along with Michelin's reputation for playing hardball, I'm most surprised at their offer of assistance with six new tires-???? Could be they know something we don't know.

I think you've had a lucky break, and if I were in your position I'd take the offer from Michelin and run. And pay the 20% as a sort of "lesson learned" fee. Learn to monitor those tires!

Also, and FYI if you're shopping around:

Toyo is not a "Les Schwab brand". It's a Japanese company with major production facilities right here in the U.S.A. Link
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Les Schwab doesn't sell Michelins.

They did when we bought our set of Michelins in Oregon.

They're 5 years old, have traveled to Alaska and have had no problems. They still look great.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #66

Maybe I missed it. But I have not seen any mention of valve caps in this whole thread. Valve caps would have stopped a leak due to sticking valve core.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Maybe I missed it. But I have not seen any mention of valve caps in this whole thread. Valve caps would have stopped a leak due to sticking valve core.
Correct.....an aluminum cap with an O-ring would have saved a new set of tires. (owner error). A $300 TPMS will save a sent of new tires also.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #68

Pass the blame, If you have an engine oil leak and the engine fails....someone else's fault? Really, step up to the plate and take responsibility!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the statements above, I understand the physical limitations but the RVing world isn't for everyone. If you can't do your own maintenance, then you need to be able to afford to pay for the correct equipment and/or pay someone to maintain your RV. If you can't do either than maybe you shouldn't own an RV, you are putting yourself and others lives at risk. Assume some responsibility, ultimately it is your responsibility to make sure your rig is roadworthy. BTW, I own Toyo tires from Les Schwab and I haven't had any issues, but I have weighed my MH and often check the pressure.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
It's called "duty" in Tort law. (That's not a pastry.)
I fulfilled my duty, twice, by having the tires checked before hitting the road. They didn't fulfill their duty, twice, even after knowing how they screwed up the first time, to prevent a foreseeable problem by completing the task...i.e. by completing the job...to check their work.

The rule of law is all very logical and simple and has been worked out for 100's of years. Their task was very simple---the guys verbally explained, with the tire in the bath, how the core valve was jammed. I didn't do it. They didn't check their work .

I'm tired of explaining this. If you don't get it, well, maybe it's time to stop wracking your brain out & move to a different topic.

I'm checking out of this post. Problem solved. Thank you all who stayed on topic over the retreading & cussion side wall split question.

Bye...bye...;-))