Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #71
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tortellini? I get it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #72

I've been watching this thread, I just feel like I'm missing so much. I feel like tealstar maybe is not understanding some very important KEY factors that are the owner/operators jobs period(if you can't do them for what ever reason and you can't pay to have them done then the RV life is to much for that person. We bought tire pressure monitoring system for our RV tires(8) and for the toad (4) we flat tow even though we don't have money to spend. I too haven't worked in 3 years since I've been sick, I made a promise to my wife that I would do 100% of what it takes to keep us safe and if I can't because of health issues that we would be done RVing. Our motorhome paper work that I've read states before leaving for all trips check tire pressure and again before leaving from trip check tire pressure for weekend , to month long trips( before motorhome is driven again). It scares me to think me a my family and all of you and your family are put in danger when people like teal>*r that may not be doing any of the necessary things required to inspect their motor driven vehicle . I'm glad I don't sell a product or service that in anyway teal>*r could find a loop hole and get our hard earned dollars. Still in shock that Michelin stepped up?

Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #73
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt seriously that Michelin stepped up to pay anything.... Let alone 80% for 4 perfectly good tires. Nor 80% for 2 tires Michelin had no part in causing an issue.
I had a saying for some large clients I had in my computer industry career that wanted something for nothing..
"Sure, I'll give you all the poor service you want for free"!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #74
Commercial Member

[QUOTE=IdahoSRT10;2254816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Anyone
Would you be concerned about sidewall cracks like these on Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires with manufacturing dates of 0711, making them 40 months., (aka: only 3 years and 4 months) old?

An inspection report, written by "Pomp's, The Tire Professionals", (my local Michelin tire dealer), states:

That would make my stomach turn the entire time I's be driving. 1 ply sidewalls? yikes
"1 ply sidewall yikes"
Obviously you haven't read the sidewall of any 22.5 steel body truck tires lately. I think most have one body ply of steel and 3 or 4 additionsl steel tread plys.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #75
Commercial Member

Tealstar, Hope you are at least reading this thread even if you don't reply

Lots of posts. Hope I can address all the questions.

In no particular order.

In my opinion as a retired tire design engineer and based on pictures and your report both tires should be replaced.

You can mix brands on the vehicle BUT you should not mix on an axle and NEVER mix old & new or two different designs, even from same MFG in a set of duals.

Tire inflation should be checked at a minimum of once a month and at a minimum of once each travel day. Tires must be "cold" which means driven less than a mile and not driven in previous two hours or in sunlight for at least two hours. This is why it is commonly said to check inflation the morning of each travel day.

Digital gauges have been shown to be more accurate than "stick" gauges and good digital gauge for your "master" gauge can be had for less than $15 and a reasonable dual foot gauge for less than $20

A better approach is to use TPMS to provide continuous monitoring of tire pressure. I think in your case if you had a $289 TPMS you would have saved one tire and possibly both. TPMS means you don't have to bend down to check your tires.

Tire inflation on Motorhomes is best established by knowing the actual load on each end of each axle when the RV is fully loaded (heaviest). Using Load/Inflation tables to learn the MINIMUM cold pressure and then adding 10% to that pressure to learn your goal set inflation.

The suggestion to "retread" your tires would only be reasonable if you were to use a shop owned by Goodyear, Michelin or Bridgestone. They would probably reject the tires due to age and condition where "Retreads by Billy-Jo-Bob" might simply stick some rubber on the tire to cover up but not actually repair the tires.

RE valve core leak. Do you have metal valve caps with the internal "O" rings? While these are not normally expected to seal air in they would have slowed the core leak if not stopped it. But then again discovery of the problem would only occur with daily inflation measurement and not a simple visual inspection every 100 miles or so.

Re fundamental problem of a valve core leak.
Many years ago tire companies went into parking lots to learn what the actual inflation was on tires. That practice stopped. Now basically when we do "parking lot surveys" we are not to touch the vehicle. This change came about because there were reports of a half percent or so of claims of tires loosing air after the pressure was checked. So the reality is that it is possible to have everything in tolerance but a spec of dirt as seen in this post can sometimes result in air loss.

I understand that you feel that the people who service your RV are never supposed to make mistakes but maybe you need to ask yourself why you have all those gauges and warning lights on your dash. After all the MFG could save some money by not having gauges and the owner would not have to spend any time looking at the gauges and everyone could simply hope that nothing ever went wrong with any complex system.

Hope things work out for you.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I doubt seriously that Michelin stepped up to pay anything.... Let alone 80% for 4 perfectly good tires.
I was skeptical, too- especially given Michelin's history with this tire!

I'm a member of another Forum at which there was considerable discussion of these tires (and their failures) some time back. And despite a comprehensive search , I can't find even ONE instance where Michelin stepped up and paid for a single tire, let alone all six on one rig. Link to search results.

And yet- here we have someone that has according to her been assured by Michelin that all six four year old tires are to be taken off/replaced at only a twenty percent cost (of brand new tires) to the consumer.

This is, in my opinion, HUGE.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
In 2007 Michelin replaced 2 XRV tires for me at 50% off.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Maybe I missed it. But I have not seen any mention of valve caps in this whole thread. Valve caps would have stopped a leak due to sticking valve core.
I doubt that manufacturers use the type of valve caps that will seal the stems. I've never seen them on cars, or light trucks, or on the trailers I've owned, or on the motorhome I currently own.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2008 Michelin replaced 5 at 50%. The sixth blew out in Ill. the first one. Last week we replaced the two front with TOYO m154's No more Michelin for me!

Mike
Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I doubt that manufacturers use the type of valve caps that will seal the stems. I've never seen them on cars, or light trucks, or on the trailers I've owned, or on the motorhome I currently own.
Walmart, AutoZone, KMart sells them That's all I use..they even have an o-ring type seal.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #81
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I have a few posts on valves but in this one you can see the metal cap provided with the metal valve and the plastic/rubber caps provided with rubber valves.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a valve that does not come with a cap.
Years ago when I was selling race tires I also had a supply of different valves. they all came with caps.

I think the issue is that some service people are too lazy to put the cap back on after they check the air.

There is an exception. Rental car agencies almost never have caps on the valves. The reason is that they claim they check the air in tires every time a car is "preped" for rental. They want to save time ($) as even a few seconds add up for them when they handle thousands of cars each day.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I have a few posts on valves but in this one you can see the metal cap provided with the metal valve and the plastic/rubber caps provided with rubber valves.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a valve that does not come with a cap.
Years ago when I was selling race tires I also had a supply of different valves. they all came with caps.
I'm not saying the stems don't come with caps - I'm saying the stems don't come with caps that can hold the pressure of a large truck tire. Aftermarket caps exist, but I doubt many people are thinking that they need to change the caps on their vehicle.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Tireman, that was an excellent, technical post. Thank you very much.
Since 11/2010, when the new tires went on, they have never deviated from 110#. Before a road trip, the coach went through a safety check either at Camping World or LS, I asked, " How were the tires? Are any losing air?" Because I would then follow the tire. Always, even in August, the answer was always, "No. No air needed. Tires look good.

That always amazed me about these tires.

I would have been willing to take Toyo's, but the customer service Michelin customer service reps and dealers have given me is the best I have ever experienced ---and not just because they are giving me 80% ---it is because they were decent human beings who focused on solving the problem--my being stranded over a bizarre set of events. That's excellent upper management.

For that I will stay brand loyal.

I'll look into the TPMS and ask those questions about valves & O rings when the new tires come in.

Thank you again.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #84
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Hi Tireman, that was an excellent, technical post. Thank you very much.
Since 11/2010, when the new tires went on, they have never deviated from 110#. Before a road trip, the coach went through a safety check either at Camping World or LS, I asked, " How were the tires? Are any losing air?" Because I would then follow the tire. Always, even in August, the answer was always, "No. No air needed. Tires look good.

That always amazed me about these tires.

I would have been willing to take Toyo's, but the customer service Michelin customer service reps and dealers have given me is the best I have ever experienced ---and not just because they are giving me 80% ---it is because they were decent human beings who focused on solving the problem--my being stranded over a bizarre set of events. That's excellent upper management.

For that I will stay brand loyal.

I'll look into the TPMS and ask those questions about valves & O rings when the new tires come in.

Thank you again.
Sorry Teal but i would NOT consider the folks at Camping World to be sufficiently knowledgeable or trained to do a complete and proper tire inspection.
Les Schwab might be better if they are a truck tire dealership but I thought they were primarily a passenger/LT dealer.

If you have Michelin 22.5" truck type tires I would try and find a Michelin dealer that primarily services truck tires to do any inspections or service other than simple inflatio0n check.

BTW. Not sure if I missed the info. How did you establish 110 is what your RV needs?