Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #85

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
I'm not saying the stems don't come with caps - I'm saying the stems don't come with caps that can hold the pressure of a large truck tire. Aftermarket caps exist, but I doubt many people are thinking that they need to change the caps on their vehicle.
OK a reasonable question. I have LR-E LT tires so can only test to 80 psi but will check out a small selection of metal caps to see which if any hold air.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
I Found Tires!

Rkh + Francesca: getting my 80% Michelin covered tires tomorrow!
I don't know how to answer your other "off topic" posts ---post the receipt???

Tireman: re:110#: The dealer, BY, had Les Schwab, 1/2 block away, put the new Michelin's on before delivery. They set them at 110# and both gave me that spec. (This is the same LS that left the inside dual core valve open before Labor Day weekend, after checking pressure & before remounting/airing up the outside dual--flattened by the same gauge check 2 weeks earlier. )

Tomorrow, upon my request, the AMBEST tire guy is going to inspect all valves and give me a training session on how these core valves can stick. He asked if they added silicon to the inside tire, because the core valve would need a special filter, otherwise, yes indeed, a little silicon dust particle can be introduced into the core with a tire gauge & keep it from reseating properly.

It's called "Duty of care".

Thanks for all your positive and "on topic" feedback. Few people on the road understand how their RV's work. That is why there is a forum. Even when I called Tiffin about how to visually inspect the tanks, the tech laughed, suggesting the parts are sometimes custom fit together, such that pulling one key part might cause it to explode like a Jack-In-the-Box.
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #87

Amazon.com: Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System, 80 PSI, one per pkg. (CF80STABT): Automotive

Should be a requirement on all dual wheel applications.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Rkh + Francesca: getting my 80% Michelin covered tires tomorrow!
I don't know how to answer your other "off topic" posts ---post the receipt???

Speaking only for myself:
In response to another's disbelief, I only said that I too was initially skeptical and this due to Michelin's hardball reputation. I'm perfectly willing to take your word for it, as is evident from all my posts on the subject.

For future reference, and perhaps as an aid to others who might find themselves in a predicament similar to yours: do any of the pics you took of the tires show the DOT code(s)? If so, can you post it/them? That code contains important identifying information per place-of-manufacture etc.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
Francesca, the DOT codes are irrelevant because Michelin did not cause the problem. I went to Michelin for their opinion and experience with Les Schwab's proposed fix--to retread one tire and repair the side wall split on the companion dual: Michelin said that it not done with XRV tires and would void my warranty.

Then they came back a few days later with the 80% offer considering my circumstances and LS's only offer. I felt it was incredibly generous. They thanked me "...for reaching out..."

Possibly, could LS be repairing Michelin tires this way and then Michelin gets blamed for poor quality & blow outs? Maybe, my reaching out helped them.

When LS was arguing the tire damage was all cosmetic, therefore, safe, before the retreading/cussion offer---the Director actually said, they could turn the tire with the split side wall to face the inside, if looking at it bothered me so much....

Please see my other thread about "sizing the best tires for Allegro Bay" for the conclusion to this thread. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #90

Commercial Member

Quote:
snip

Tomorrow, upon my request, the AMBEST tire guy is going to inspect all valves and give me a training session on how these core valves can stick. He asked if they added silicon to the inside tire, because the core valve would need a special filter, otherwise, yes indeed, a little silicon dust particle can be introduced into the core with a tire gauge & keep it from reseating properly.

snip
RE how valves leak
Take a look at THIS post. It has a picture of a small utility trailer I have and the valve core leak I discovered. Since my "thing" is to investigate and find evidence you can see the results of my investigation and note just how small a piece of grit can be and can cause a slow leak. A TPMS would have caught this type of leak.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #91

Less than new tires >$3.98 Amazon.com: TOOGOO(R) Silvery Car Auto Tyre Tire Valve Stem Covers Caps 4 PCS: Electronics
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #92

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hipster View Post
While people are free to get whatever do-dad they want for their RV I personally see no advantage to spending $120 on the crossfire system and can think of significant disadvantages.

I do not understand and would challenge anyone to provide data that shows an advantage of having the system always match the air pressure in a set of duals. If the inflation is set with a good gauge why would you want air to be removed from the hotter tire and sent to the cooler tire? This would allow more deflection of the hotter tire which would generate more flexing and more structural degradation due to heat.

Second: If you get a puncture in one tire it will loose air. The air in the un-damaged tire would be transfered to the damaged tire until the level had dropped to the trigger level. This has done nothing to alert the driver of the problem with the punctured tire. It also has lowered the pressure in the tire that is being asked to carry an ever increasing level of load. Running with one dual low on air or flat is asking the other tire to carry up to 100% overload. This is bad enough to result in permanent structural damage in the un-punctured tire. On top of that the crossfire system lowered the pressure in the un-punctured tire and could result in not a 100% overload but maybe a 120% or higher overload which would almost guarantee it is damaged and must be removed from service and replaced.

Finally using such a system will give the driver a false sense of security and have them believe that somehow they are less likely to have tire problems when in fact they could be worse off.

The much better approach is to spend $290 to protect all 6 tires on the RV and to provide active real time warning to the driver of air loss due to punctures or valve leaks so the driver could possibly stop in time to save two tires from being damaged rather than damaging and having to replace two tires plus possibly damaging the coach as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #93

Thanks Tireman.. Appreciate your expertise here. A local tire shop here on the east side of Indy would not install those things. I went in to resolve a slow leak I detected by frequent "self tire pressure checks" and they discovered that a balancing bead bad was used without the proper valve screen. They broke that tire down and removed the beads and spin balanced the tire.
They also insisted on removing the factory installed valve extenders and replaced all the dual stems with short solid stems with pass through caps. The inner stems were positioned 180 degrees facing out and oriented 180 degrees from the outer stem for ease of locating. These guys are mainly a truck shop and the tech was relentless on doing this way.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Tireman: just had my coach weighed, and speaking wrt 1dual carrying all the load--the Michelin's are rated ~4500# max, and that outside dual was carrying 7200#!

Tomorrow, I'm paying the AMBEST guys to pull off the other 4 tires with the Equal silicon dust crap, again, vacuum them out & properly weight & balance. They feel that will reduce my stress to nil, worrying whether silicon dust is clogging the valves. I will never go to any other tire shop again. These guys do cars too.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #95

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Thanks Tireman.. Appreciate your expertise here. A local tire shop here on the east side of Indy would not install those things. I went in to resolve a slow leak I detected by frequent "self tire pressure checks" and they discovered that a balancing bead bad was used without the proper valve screen. They broke that tire down and removed the beads and spin balanced the tire.
They also insisted on removing the factory installed valve extenders and replaced all the dual stems with short solid stems with pass through caps. The inner stems were positioned 180 degrees facing out and oriented 180 degrees from the outer stem for ease of locating. These guys are mainly a truck shop and the tech was relentless on doing this way.
Sounds like you found a good & competent tire service shop. Posting their name & address might help others who are ahving a problem finding a place to install truck tire valves.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #96

Commercial Member

Quote:
Tireman: just had my coach weighed, and speaking wrt 1dual carrying all the load--the Michelin's are rated ~4500# max, and that outside dual was carrying 7200#!

Tomorrow, I'm paying the AMBEST guys to pull off the other 4 tires with the Equal silicon dust crap, again, vacuum them out & properly weight & balance. They feel that will reduce my stress to nil, worrying whether silicon dust is clogging the valves. I will never go to any other tire shop again. These guys do cars too.
OK so now we have the information needed to understand why you had a valve leak. While many swear by balancing by putting bags inside the tires there are potential downsides to having "stuff" inside the tires.

The bags might have a lower up front cost but your loss of two tires is an example of the possible downside.

If bags were such a great thing have to wonder why we don't see them on passenger cars which are much more sensitive to out of balance tires.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sounds like you found a good & competent tire service shop. Posting their name & address might help others who are ahving a problem finding a place to install truck tire valves.

Indy Tire Center.. 9302 E 30th St. Indianapolis... 317-591-9141.. Mostly do commercial but love to do RVs too.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
OK so now we have the information needed to understand why you had a valve leak. While many swear by balancing by putting bags inside the tires there are potential downsides to having "stuff" inside the tires.

The bags might have a lower up front cost but your loss of two tires is an example of the possible downside.

If bags were such a great thing have to wonder why we don't see them on passenger cars which are much more sensitive to out of balance tires.

Tireman, could it be that the advent for these bags comes from having a mobil service replace a truck/RV tire? These mobil trucks don't have spin balance equipment on them. If they replace a steer tire on the highway, maybe these bags were just the thing.
That is how the bags got into my steer tire. But the guy didn't use the correct valve according to Indy Tire. The reason I had the Michelin replaced was because it had a bubble on the sidewall. Before I closed the deal on the motorhome I asked the dealer to replace it and they agreed. They sent a mobil service to the lot to do this. The tire leaked all the way back to Indy from TX..
On one "daily tire pressure check" air continued soaring out of the valve after I removed the gauge! Scared the hell out of me. Fortunately, I carry spare high pressure valves and was able to get the gummed one out and replace it before the tire went flat. Still had 70psi in it. I filled it up to 85lbs with the air compressor "I carry on board". Fortunately the new valve didn't leak during the fill and check process.