Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #99

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Re: checking tire pressure: the tire chain did the same mistake---twice in one month! They even explained how it occurs with their gauges. It's the same chain where the tires were purchased new--they set the pressure. I trust they know all the idiosyncrasies of checking tires--and they do--they made a mistake & did not check their work.

If it is bad luck-- it's their bad luck. I've full-timed, north to south, and back for almost 4 years, park hosting, snowbirding, whatever, the tires "have never" lost air. Never. I drive slow & easy.

The "inside tire core valve" didn't seat & tire went flat--2 weeks after they aired up the "outside tire"--which was almost flat from a core valve that didn't seat---from the first air safety check 2 weeks earlier at a different location! The 3rd location, which explained how the inside tire went flat, and the 2nd location, which explained how the outside tire went--went into "damage control" denying everything when it rose to management level...when they found out it was their company that caused it. Liability lies with them not checking their work.

Furthermore, you really need a professional to check the inside pressure, it is hard to get to. The pros even have a hard time.

I check all my tires every 50-100 miles on a trip, because that's about the frequency I pull over to check my tow dolly straps on the car, which loosen up due to moisture. My gauge is only for car tires. I leave the actual RV tire check to the pros.

Finally, they refuse to say they are safe to drive on. I planned to go 1200 miles, 800 to my first work destination, which is lost now.
Have you heard of "Dually Valves"? Makes checking dual tires very easy. Good luck.
Jack H

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #100
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
Have you heard of "Dually Valves"? Makes checking dual tires very easy. Good luck.
Jack H
Jack you might want to look at Post 92 in this thread.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Anyone have experience with Yokahama tires?
I'm working with a Michelin dealer now who has 5 star online reviews.

(Toyo is a Les Schwab brand, who has 200-300 complaints on Rip off report & po'd customer.))
Yes! I have had Yokohama 22.5" Super Steel(s) on my RV for 3 years now and and very happy with them. I have not had a single issue with them. They are a great tire at a good price!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:49 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Jack you might want to look at Post 92 in this thread.
FYI. Duallyvalve Kits for Wheel Sizes 19-20"
Not sure what point you're making.
Dually valve is not a cross connect system! Thanks.
Jack H
Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #103

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV side wall blow outs?

So is it then that a dually valve then is not what Tireman thought it was? I understand Tiremans reasons for not being a fan of the crossover system mentioned in previous post, but for those who have been following this thread is it or is it not the same as the dually valve?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #104

Tireman9,
In your opinionated analysis of the crossfire or similar equalizers, what of the effects of curved road surfaces where more weight is exerted on the inner tire than the outer tire?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #105
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Tireman9,

In your opinionated analysis of the crossfire or similar equalizers, what of the effects of curved road surfaces where more weight is exerted on the inner tire than the outer tire?

I am a dummy on the subject but I doubt there is much affect of curved road surfaces on giant dually tires... Just guessin.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
So is it then that a dually valve then is not what Tireman thought it was? I understand Tiremans reasons for not being a fan of the crossover system mentioned in previous post, but for those who have been following this thread is it or is it not the same as the dually valve?
My previously posted link must not be working. NO it is not the same. Try this.

http://www.borgtiresupply.com/owner/duallyvalve.pdf

'Dually valves' are fool proof brass valve stems that eliminates
the need for valve stem extenders for motorhomes
with rear dually wheels.
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #107
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
FYI. Duallyvalve Kits for Wheel Sizes 19-20"
Not sure what point you're making.
Dually valve is not a cross connect system! Thanks.
Jack H

My bad. Just never heard of truck tire valves being called "Dually Valves"

Bit expensive at $110. Straight valves usually run $2 to $5 each. You should also be able to use a dual foot gauge or air chuck. "Bent" ones are OK as long as people hold the valve stem and don't just press the air chuck on the valve end. This can rock the stem in the rubber grommet mount and loosen the nut or even damage the grommet with the torque when some simply push hard on the curved stem.
This is my setup for 6 years and 27k miles with no leaks.
But then again I have the hose ends firmly mounted and I support them whenever using air chuck or hand gauge.
Note when I took this picture I had only my internal TPMS installed and not the external TPMS.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #108
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Tireman9,
Curved and sloped road surfaces along with other road features such as occasional curb riding are the primary reason for dual applications having lower load limits than single applications.
This uneven loading can be either inner tire more or less than the outer tire so you can't simply inflate one tire more than the other.

Tires do tend to adjust their pressure based on the load on each individual tire, within limits.

I have never seen data to suggest that balancing the inflation on both tires provides any meaningful benefit and my post did point out the down side when one tire is punctured.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #109
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I am a dummy on the subject but I doubt there is much affect of curved road surfaces on giant dually tires... Just guessin.
Nope there is an affect. It's just not very big ans as I said it is already addressed through the Load/Infl charts which are based on over 60 years of real world truck tire testing and engineering.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #110
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Nope there is an affect. It's just not very big ans as I said it is already addressed through the Load/Infl charts which are based on over 60 years of real world truck tire testing and engineering.

Tireman, I think you and I said the same thing. I believe the comment about the effect of road curves on dual tires was meant as support for air pressure equalizing systems.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #111

We blew out a side wall on the inner dual in Ozona Tx. Tires were less than 5 m months old and less than 5,000 miles. Called Michelin and they warrantied the tire but the tire was about 600 miles from us. Bought a used tire (DW did not like that idea!!) got to the tire shop and then paid $100 to have the new tire put on. Total cost to replace tire $386 including the used tire. We felt very lucky and were pleased Michelin backed up the tire
Old 10-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #112

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV side wall blow outs?

Tell me guys, is it because generally speaking there are more Michelins on the road that they seam to be the only tires mentioned in this forum with issues?