Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #113

Commercial Member

Guymaster. Sidewall "blowout" is normally the term non-tire-engineers use for what is more accurately a "Run-Low-Flex" failure.
Check out this report if you want to see an engineering analysis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #114

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Tell me guys, is it because generally speaking there are more Michelins on the road that they seam to be the only tires mentioned in this forum with issues?
I think you have come to the understanding that many seem to ignore. When a population is made up of a group with the vast majority having a common feature i.e. Michelin tires on Class-A RV then the fact that most failures on Class-A RVs are on Michelin tires is not proof of causation but just association.
On other threads that are about large towables where most have ST type tires and since essentially all ST type tires are made in China, many posters want to claim the reason for the failure was because the tires were not made in the USA.

I could just as easily claim that RV workers in Indiana are incompetent because the majority of RVs with problems are made in Indiana.

Without a working knowledge of failure analysis and statistical analysis it is easy to fall into the trap of believing association is the same as causation.

Remember that most deaths from lightening strikes occur when clouds are in the sky so a prominent cause of deaths is the sky being cloudy......not
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Michelin 235/80 R22.5 XRV side wall blow outs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I think you have come to the understanding that many seem to ignore. When a population is made up of a group with the vast majority having a common feature i.e. Michelin tires on Class-A RV then the fact that most failures on Class-A RVs are on Michelin tires is not proof of causation but just association.
On other threads that are about large towables where most have ST type tires and since essentially all ST type tires are made in China, many posters want to claim the reason for the failure was because the tires were not made in the USA.

I could just as easily claim that RV workers in Indiana are incompetent because the majority of RVs with problems are made in Indiana.

Without a working knowledge of failure analysis and statistical analysis it is easy to fall into the trap of believing association is the same as causation.

Remember that most deaths from lightening strikes occur when clouds are in the sky so a prominent cause of deaths is the sky being cloudy......not

x2 All very well stated indeed.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #116

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Your over inflated at 110 psig. With your rig 85 psig is within a few lbs. of the correct pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllk3rd View Post
By the way, I run 90 psi in the rear and 85 psi in the front, you need to weigh your MH and adjust your tire pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
As others have told you, 110lbs of pressure in your tires is WAY too much.
Quote:
Tire inflation on Motorhomes is best established by knowing the actual load on each end of each axle when the RV is fully loaded (heaviest).
Hey, Y'all-
It does look like the O.P. took your advice to heart about getting the rig weighed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
just had my coach weighed, and speaking wrt 1dual carrying all the load--the Michelin's are rated ~4500# max, and that outside dual was carrying 7200#!
Dunno if O.P.'s still following this thread, but just for my own information:

Taking a look at Michelin's RV tire inflation chart below and assuming the 7200 lb. load is the same at both axle ends, would 85-90psi be the correct cold pressure for the rears? chart source
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XRV inflation chart.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	77223  
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #117

Commercial Member

Francesca
90 is the correct inflation not 85-90. Always round UP on loads or inflations. This improves Safety Factor.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #118

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Francesca
90 is the correct inflation not 85-90. Always round UP on loads or inflations. This improves Safety Factor.
The ol' redundancy factor, eh? Makes sense to me- thanks, Tireman.

On EDIT:
It just occurred to me that we never did find out any particulars about the O.P.'s XRV's- the originals may well have been load range F, which isn't even listed on the current inflation chart I posted above. Odd that it's missing...It may be that Michelin doesn't make them in that LR anymore; but they did at the time her tires were new four years ago. I found the below listing in a pdf from the FMCA discount program talked about at this link.

Point being, lacking load range info, I guess we really can't say what PSI to run in the tires, new OR old!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Somewhat relate to this subject thread.......

From today's Pittsburgh newspaper.

Exploding rim injures worker

A worker was injured when a tire exploded Tuesday afternoon at an industrial facility in Braddock, the borough’s mayor said. “Company officials told (police) that a truck was backing in when the tire exploded,” Mayor John Fetterman said. “The rim hit a worker in the thigh. The injuries are not considered life-threatening.” The accident occurred shortly before 4:30 p.m. at Specialty Steel Products Inc. on Eighth Street, county emergency dispatchers said. The injured worker was flown to UPMC Presbyterian hospital for treatment of possible broken bones, Fetterman said. Company personnel could not be reached for comment.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #120

How is this related..even remotely? Is there a Michelin RV tire involved?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
“The rim hit a worker in the thigh. The injuries are not considered life-threatening.”
Sounds to me like a split-rim situation; that's why they put those puppies in cages to work on them! But I don't think such rims are used on motorhomes like the one the O.P. has.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #122

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Somewhat relate to this subject thread.......

From today's Pittsburgh newspaper.

Exploding rim injures worker

A worker was injured when a tire exploded Tuesday afternoon at an industrial facility in Braddock, the borough’s mayor said. “Company officials told (police) that a truck was backing in when the tire exploded,” Mayor John Fetterman said. “The rim hit a worker in the thigh. The injuries are not considered life-threatening.” The accident occurred shortly before 4:30 p.m. at Specialty Steel Products Inc. on Eighth Street, county emergency dispatchers said. The injured worker was flown to UPMC Presbyterian hospital for treatment of possible broken bones, Fetterman said. Company personnel could not be reached for comment.
Sounds like very sloppy reporting to me. The wheel/rim is bolted tot he vehicle. How did the "rim" hit the worker if it was properly bolted to the vehicle?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Has anyone ever had a defective tire replaced by Michelin? I purchased 2 235/80Rx22.5 tires 18 months ago thru FMCA and I just notice this fault on one of them when I returned home from a 8 week trip this week. I stopped at 2 Michelin dealer near home .
Neither had any stock , both indicated it was very unlikely it would be covered by warranty. Michelin will say " they have never made a defective tire , it is damaged."
One shop said they couldn't remember ever having a Michelin tire being covered by warranty
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had five (5) Michelins replaced under warranty in 2008. 235/xrv's.

I've installed Toyo's on the front a few weeks ago. No more Michelins for me.

Mike
Old 11-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #125

The info you are getting from the shops you've visited is inaccurate. Of course Michelin has replaced tires under warranty, pro-rated or otherwise. They've had recalls like most other tire companies. I've had very good service from Michelin. CALL
Michelin yourself... 888-622-2306. They will discuss the issue with you and refer you to a reputable dealer as appropriate.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #126

Also, Gregory.. When I bought my current coach, and before I took delivery, I noticed two tires that had the same bump as your tire. Not as pronounced, but pretty much identical. They are 255 /80r/22.5 xrv with a mid 2012 date stamp. The MH dealer investigated my concern and offered to show me a Michelin "bulletin" explaining that this bump was a function of normal manufacturing. I did not even look at the bulletin, rather I requested they be replaced before I would close the deal. In retrospect, I should have at least looked at the "bulletin". At the time, I believed I was in the cat bird seat and didn't need any stinking bulletins...hahahah. In my layman's mind, if this bubble is there due to a normal manufacturing process, why didn't the other 4 tires have the bubble?