Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #29

Your over inflated at 110 psig. With your rig 85 psig is within a few lbs. of the correct pressure. Whether you have the cash or not doesn't change the fact that new tires are needed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #30

I worked in the tire biz for many years, short comment is you probably do not have any real issue to drive on these tires. There are steel sidewalls and belts on the tread, the rubber is just a coating. I had seen much worse come into my shop over the years from very heavy overloaded trucks.. That said, I would be careful driving at higher speeds...leave them on the rear axle and watch closely. bottom line is the person who checked the tire pressure for you is not the person to blame, you can look in the mirror, and blame it on bad luck. Pro Drivers thump their tires daily.. You did not say how old the tires are, most warranty runs out after 4-5 years these days, back when I was in it no time limits.. and we did vulcanizing, basically a cosmetic repair, the patch we applied over the damage was the important part, in your case the underlying carcass appears to be OK.
pfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Re: checking tire pressure: the tire chain did the same mistake---twice in one month! They even explained how it occurs with their gauges. It's the same chain where the tires were purchased new--they set the pressure. I trust they know all the idiosyncrasies of checking tires--and they do--they made a mistake & did not check their work.

If it is bad luck-- it's their bad luck. I've full-timed, north to south, and back for almost 4 years, park hosting, snowbirding, whatever, the tires "have never" lost air. Never. I drive slow & easy.

The "inside tire core valve" didn't seat & tire went flat--2 weeks after they aired up the "outside tire"--which was almost flat from a core valve that didn't seat---from the first air safety check 2 weeks earlier at a different location! The 3rd location, which explained how the inside tire went flat, and the 2nd location, which explained how the outside tire went--went into "damage control" denying everything when it rose to management level...when they found out it was their company that caused it. Liability lies with them not checking their work.

Furthermore, you really need a professional to check the inside pressure, it is hard to get to. The pros even have a hard time.

I check all my tires every 50-100 miles on a trip, because that's about the frequency I pull over to check my tow dolly straps on the car, which loosen up due to moisture. My gauge is only for car tires. I leave the actual RV tire check to the pros.

Finally, they refuse to say they are safe to drive on. I planned to go 1200 miles, 800 to my first work destination, which is lost now.
tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Re: checking tire pressure: the tire chain did the same mistake---twice in one month! They even explained how it occurs with their gauges. It's the same chain where the tires were purchased new--they set the pressure. I trust they know all the idiosyncrasies of checking tires--and they do--they made a mistake & did not check their work.

If it is bad luck-- it's their bad luck. I've full-timed, north to south, and back for almost 4 years, park hosting, snowbirding, whatever, the tires "have never" lost air. Never. I drive slow & easy.

The "inside tire core valve" didn't seat & tire went flat--2 weeks after they aired up the "outside tire"--which was almost flat from a core valve that didn't seat---from the first air safety check 2 weeks earlier at a different location! The 3rd location, which explained how the inside tire went flat, and the 2nd location, which explained how the outside tire went--went into "damage control" denying everything when it rose to management level...when they found out it was their company that caused it. Liability lies with them not checking their work.

Furthermore, you really need a professional to check the inside pressure, it is hard to get to. The pros even have a hard time.

I check all my tires every 50-100 miles on a trip, because that's about the frequency I pull over to check my tow dolly straps on the car, which loosen up due to moisture. My gauge is only for car tires. I leave the actual RV tire check to the pros.
........snip.......
How's that workin' out for ya?

Kidding aside:

In my opinion, it's foolish to leave such a basic and important bit of RV maintenance to the off chance that one might drive by some tire place where they can check the pressure. This especially since you seem to understand the importance of air-checking all of your other tires-? Air checking is RVing 101...likely THE most basic check of all; and as a matter of fact the very first thing Michelin discusses in its user guide for RV tires, available for viewing online at this link.

And here's what they say about your responsibilities :
Quote:
WHEN TO CHECK RV TIRE PRESSURE
The RV owners need to know the correct pressure per axle for their RV, and they need to know when and how often to check the MICHELIN® RV tires.

Here are a few recommendations for the RV owners:
1) Check at least once a month and before any major
trips.
2) On long trips, check every morning before driving.
3) Check before and after storage.
4) On short trips of a day or less driving each way,
check before you leave and before you return home.
Regardless of the outcome here, I strongly recommend that you acquire/learn to use appropriate equipment to make checks along those lines. It isn't that hard given the right tools.

And do consider installing a tire pressure monitoring system- regular air checks or no, such a system would have alerted you that you were losing air during the two week gap between the fatal air check and the disintegration of the tire. And saved you all this trouble!

Best of luck to you...
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well said Francesca!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
By the way, I run 90 psi in the rear and 85 psi in the front, you need to weigh your MH and adjust your tire pressure.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Michelin response

- The alleged revulcanization & cussion technique, which is unheard of, will void my tire warranty.
- All the tires have to be replaced with another brand.
(Any recommendations out there for this size rv?)
- They hope to get someone down here to measure the tread.
- They work with the tire chain to get me back on the road.

What actually happens will either be heroic..or insightful and propel me to the next step.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
- The alleged revulcanization & cussion technique, which is unheard of, will void my tire warranty.

What actually happens will either be heroic..or insightful and propel me to the next step.

I'm confused by the "Michelin response" header.
Are they telling you that "all the tires must be replaced with another brand", and if so...why?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
If it wee mine I would somewhere else and get new tires. Tires can destroy a coach as 100's of pounds of tread slap your fig at 60mph

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 10-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #38

Anyone
Would you be concerned about sidewall cracks like these on Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires with manufacturing dates of 0711, making them 40 months., (aka: only 3 years and 4 months) old?

An inspection report, written by "Pomp's, The Tire Professionals", (my local Michelin tire dealer), states:
[quote] This condition "somewhat normal" for the Michelin brand tire. Condition "should" not be a safety concern. Suggest the tires should be inspected again after one calendar year. [end quote].

NOTE: the quotation marks in the above report are as written.

That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Anyone
Would you be concerned about sidewall cracks like these on Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires with manufacturing dates of 0711, making them 40 months., (aka: only 3 years and 4 months) old?

k
Mel
'96 Safari
I can say I had a 22.5 Michelin on the outside driver's side rear dual that looked much worse than that...but still within the chart limits on the Michelin website. The tire's cracking never got any worse over the next 5 years and never loss more than 2 psi over a year's span. When I replace all the original rears 6 months ago, the DOT dates were 10 years old.

As long as I knew that the tire has been properly maintained with the correct air press, I'd have no problem running it until the checking got worse or was over 7 years old. YMMV

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #40

[QUOTE=mel s;2254710]Anyone

An inspection report, written by "Pomp's, The Tire Professionals", (my local Michelin tire dealer), states:
Quote:
This condition "somewhat normal" for the Michelin brand tire. Condition "should" not be a safety concern. Suggest the tires should be inspected again after one calendar year. [end quote].

NOTE: the quotation marks in the above report are as written.

That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Mel
'96 Safari
That would make my stomach turn the entire time I's be driving. 1 ply sidewalls? yikes
Old 10-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Toyo, Toyo and Toyo. That's my take on that. Cheaper and has a good warranty I had them on my last coach and my neighbor has them on their coach at 20,000 miles combined and no problems and no sidewall checking at all. Also keep them covered when you are parked. Sun and weather are the detriment to the rubber in tires and shorten the life of them.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
DD: thanks for the tip.

Francesca: the tires 'were' safety checked before a major trip down I5 from the North Cascades. I'm not driving 24/7..

This tire chain has 400 locations...it's hard to not find one on the road.
I'm calling b.s. on my being able to gauge the inside tires when people who do this all day have a hard time.

And..yes...all tires have to be replaced, because there are: 1. No XRV's in stock anywhere, 2. The idea of using 2 new XZE's may be problematic due to clearance issues with the Allegro Bay, and 3. There have been legal judgments against tire companies in the millions over highway fatalities when new and old tires are combined on these heavier vehicles; and when they used retreads on a tire, that by highway safety standards, should not be retreaded. The latter was an ~8 million judgment apportioned between this tire company and a truck driver for killing 2 people due to a blow out of a tire that should have not been on the road.

There are NSTC issues with mine too.

All the tires have to be replaced, they knew that, and the solution to put me back on the freeway, with a known legal case history of highway fatalities--was their choice. Obviously, they have not learned their lesson.

Does not make me feel real secure on the road known they do semi truck retreads and side wall repairs.