Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Michelin

I was reading on the Michelin website and noted that they strongly recommend that all tires on a given axle be inflated to the same pressure. That flies in the face of what I accepted as weighing each corner and inflating for the load each tire will see.

Secondly, I have two fairly new Michelin tires on the steer axle with about 10,000 miles on them and no abnormal wear. I'll be replacing the drive tires with similar Michelin products so should one put new tires on the steer (max safety) and bring the used ones back to the drive axle with the two new ones? If so, inner or outer position? Or just leave the steers where they are and figure you'll be replacing two tires next time rather than 6?

Whaddaya think?
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I've heard suggested to remount the two steer tires on the rear, both on same side, same direction rotation. They would still have same matching diameter, even if slightly smaller than the new tires. Then put new tires on front and other side rear.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi radams,
On the inflation item, everything I've read is to weight the four corners and inflate the tires on that axle to the heaviest load.

For me, I never dismount tires unless there is a problem. Consider leaving the tire on the steer axle and mount the new tires on the drive axle.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi radams,
On the inflation item, everything I've read is to weight the four corners and inflate the tires on that axle to the heaviest load.

For me, I never dismount tires unless there is a problem. Consider leaving the tire on the steer axle and mount the new tires on the drive axle.
Yup
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #5

I agree with GaryKD....absolutely.

Having different tire pressures side-to-side WILL cause some "interesting" handling characteristics and, possibly, unsafe ones. I almost lost a collectible car 3+ years ago while hauling it on a rented Penske tandem-axle car hauler that, according to Penske, had just been completely inspected....including tire pressures. 30 minutes on the freeway and....almost a disaster. After I got the wildly-swaying trailer pulled over (and my heart back in my chest!), I checked everything....including tire pressure. ALL 4 tires were at different air pressures....not ONE was at the recommended 50 psi! And all were under 40 psi. Amazing. No more problems after I set the tires correctly. Penske decided not to charge me for the rental. Nice. Real nice....My angel was looking out for us that day! Something I wil NEVER forget!

As previously posted, always inflate the tires on an axle to the recommended air pressure based upon the highest load on that axle. One tire or set of duals on an axle inflated less than the other(s) would definitedly "pull" the coach in that direction....not good. If each tire or set of duals were inflated solely for the weight on that corner, you could have 4 significantly different inflation settings on your coach. Definitely not good, as my experience noted above should indicate! Hope this makes sense....
Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
In 1993, a gentlemen pointed to our rear wheels while driving near Houston in our rental Jamborey from C.A. Miami.
Following advice, we stopped at an exit with services to see what was wrong.
One inner tire was gone. The service station switched the flat with the spare with the note that the spare also was "not that good".
I San Antonio a frend HAm -police cop came visiting us at the camp site and adviced to go to the truck service station.
To make a short story long: In the end we had 5 new tires (With C.A. blessing and taking the tab).
The duals back were all new, the spare new and the 2 best (old) tires went to the front.
On my question to them "why not the old and new in the rear and new on the front" was, Always have the same wear at the rear.
Regards, Gerard.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #7

Well, alrighty then, new ones on the rear for me. Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It sure is nice to be able to do things right the first time rather than having to do it over.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote