Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #15

Weather Checking is what is being referred to here.

I've got Michelins on the last axle of my Gooseneck that are over 10 years old and overloaded all the time (with a great many miles on them) but as long as they are aired up I am in no way concerned and I have not had a blowout in many many years. Low air kills more tires than anything and is THE MAJOR cause of blow-outs and no one with a motor home I know of runs caps (which are 99.9% of what's laying all over the highways).

Take any new tire and let it live in the sun for a short period of time and all of them get weather checked. Rubber is like concrete and never stops curing. Keeping them out of the Sun and the UV will not weather the rubber. Maintain proper air pressure and inspect them for nails, road damage and
pay attention going down the road.

DOT wants you to check tires every time you stop and IF you haul HazMet to check them every hour.

Keep 105 lbs on your steering axle rubber.
There is nothing more dangerous than low air pressure.
If they are out of balance get them trued, balanced and add CENTRAMATIC Dynamic balancers.
pc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post

Keep 105 lbs on your steering axle rubber.
Not according to the tire manufacturers, they pretty much all say to go by their weight/pressure charts on all the tires
And, in our case, before the tire change, 105 psi would have been way too low as they required 125 psi for the weight

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Michelin's had small crack in the 1st year. My Toyo's show zero cracks after 16 months. There is no one size fits all for tire pressure. After weighing my RV, the charts show 85 pounds, I run 95.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #18

IMO & 20+ years of MH ownership experience: Blocking the sunshine only goes so far.

Over the years on our previous Winnie & Bounder MHs we had the most tire weather checking and cracks where the sun don't shine (between the duals).
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not according to the tire manufacturers, they pretty much all say to go by their weight/pressure charts on all the tires
And, in our case, before the tire change, 105 psi would have been way too low as they required 125 psi for the weight
I was working with having 12K on a steering axle (which was the legal limit) with the max pressure that has been typical for decades.

[If] you are over 12K act accordingly (and slow down).
pc
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #20

My Michelin's are 5 years old with slight checking. I took them to a michelin truck tire dealer and had them inspected. He said they were fine and he would have no problem running them for another year or two based on their current condition. He also told me to keep an eye on the cracking.

As far as PSI, I run 95 on the front and 85 on the rear based on the weight of the axles and Michelin's website.

JJ
02 eagle
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #21

340 miles to new tires...

I've just purchased a new to me 07 Fleetwood with 24K miles. Now the tires, which have lots of tread, are 6.5 years old and I've made loose arrangements to have 6 new ones put on in Oregon with a great FMCA Michelin price.

My concern is that I've had a look at the tires and I see some cracking/splitting around the rim area of the tires. I'm no expert at motorhome tires so I'm a tad concerned about driving the 340 miles to Superior Tire in Portland

I know there are no guarantees etc but I'm wondering if I ensured the pressures were correct, Interstate or more secondary roads??, if it should be okay.

I plan on cleaning the tires up and having a better look at the cracks and try to measure them against the chart I've seen on this site.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I know there are no guarantees etc but I'm wondering if I ensured the pressures were correct, Interstate or more secondary roads??, if it should be okay.
No worry if you have a ERS contract.
They will get a tire to you if needed. But all $$$ savings will probably be gone.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #23

In '04 I put '04 Michelins on my Itasca. A few years later, the driver's tire (only) suddenly showed a crack all the way around just out from the rim. Wire was showing all the way around. I was offended in that the small dealer said that was usually a sign of severe overloading. I do all the driving. I may be overweight, but not enough to damage a tire.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #24

As a former boater, and RV guy now, Check 3m 303 Protectant. Its the best out there. Keep those tires sprayed all teh time. Its is a UV protectant, I didn't read all the posts, but I also use it on the fiberglass. I used it on our searay boat as well. Also its good on the roof. I keep a gallon on hand. It ain't cheap, but it works great on the tires. dont' be afraid to coat them good. DO NOT USE THOSE TIRED dressings that look shiney, they have petroleum products in them. They will raise hell with the tires. Also, keep the tires OFF concrete. Put a pad on under them, and take weight off them when parked. This will all help. That from a Michelin truck tire dealer. Concrete will draw moisture and cause them to crack. Ok.thus endeth the lesson, quote from Sean Connery in the Untouchables!!!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting discussion here on tire care products.
Page 3 has an answer and explanation from Maguiar
in reference to ingredients and terminology.

I am also trying to find where I read that harmful petroleum
was banned several years ago by the Govt, in tire shine products.
What I had read was only water based is now allowed as a main
component.

Petroleum Distillates - Page 3
Old 10-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #26

I saw something on TV years ago where they talked about how tires should have an expiration of around 5 or 6 years because they dry out with age, but the industry of course doesn't want this. Often tires that are new already are a few years old and most consumers don't know how to check the tire manufacture date. Just because a tire has good tread or the sidewall isn't cracking doesn't mean it's safe.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #27

well...guess it shows we all develop our own ideas. SUN is the biggest concern, along with using the danged coach..parking it is hell on it...FOR EVERYTHING> I had an truck shops that did work on it tell me, the best thing you can do, is take it out once a month, RUN EVERYTHING> Generator, AC units, everything. and drive it. Don't drive it just down the street and back, but for 1/2 hr. at least. Exercises everything including me! Get those tires rolling. We live in Florida (formerly from the COLD NORTH UPSTATE NY) and have kept our coach in under cover. Again, keep the tires off bare concrete (or is that bear!) I have rubber Greeting mats heavy ones under each tire, and I put the levelers down and take weight off the tires some. And that exercises the levelers too!!! See method to my madness.

Oh..interesting story. We bought the coach used, and one reason I bought it was the quality of the Michelin tires on it. they looked BRAND NEW. which I later figured out they were. Well, a year or so ago, went to the local RV store, one of which we ALL know, they say sometbing about Camping and they are all over the WORLD. well, was there to get a new toilet. (doesn't fit in this threat, but stick with me here) The technician did a great job, with the toilet. (uggghhh) and then he went over the Coach. Next thing I knew, a sales person came to me, and said...you have a big problem. WHAT? (ok here we goooooooooo) your tires are REALLY OLD, we checked the dates on them, and they are over 10 years old? Oh...really? Yup..you better replace those. I said, not today. She said you probably wont' even make it home. I note that the tire date on those tires are in code. AND, the tires on our coach, are absolutely perfect, tread and sidewalls, NOT ONE CRACK..and I do check. Turns out, these tires weren't even made at the time they said they were...and recommended to be changed. These tires were made at a LATER date, .......just an interesting story. I figured they are about 6 or 7 years old, and the Michelin dealer said they were in EXCELLENT SHAPE..............ok..............I will stop this epistle.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires??? pressure????

Am I confused or what????

All the conflicting information here isn't helping one bit. I have Michelins on my unit none over 3 years old Two blew out both were mounted to the inside of the rear axle on each side. Both took out wiring harnesses, the unit is still in the shop from the last blow out, I try to keep at least 85 psi in my tires. my big concern is what happens to tire pressure when the outside temps is over 100 degrees. I can't afford these blow outs $3000 a pop is killing me.

Look at this mess, The wiring harness the size of my arm Looked like a rats Nest wrapped around my axle. This has gotta stop.

DONNY....

Oh yea! the tread from the tire? somewhere on IH35 north. ???? Ozone doesn't help tire life one bit either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome tire 001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	47320