Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #29
Originally Posted by donnyman View Post
Am I confused or what???? All the conflicting information here isn't helping one bit. I have Michelins on my unit none over 3 years old Two blew out both were mounted to the inside of the rear axle on each side. Both took out wiring harnesses, the unit is still in the shop from the last blow out, I try to keep at least 85 psi in my tires. my big concern is what happens to tire pressure when the outside temps is over 100 degrees. I can't afford these blow outs $3000 a pop is killing me. Look at this mess, The wiring harness the size of my arm Looked like a rats Nest wrapped around my axle. This has gotta stop. DONNY.... Oh yea! the tread from the tire? somewhere on IH35 north. ????

What brand and specific tire are these? The inside dual is most prone to heat buildup due to less air flow around the tire. 85 psi is meaningless unless you know the weight on each axle or even better, each corner. If you don't know your weights then the only safe thing to do is to inflate your tires to support your GAWR. That should be on a sticker somewhere around the drivers position.

Don't worry about tire pressure increase with ambient air temp increase. If you inflate to the correct cold temp PSI then you are ok. If you are cold inflated to 100 psi and that is good to carry your weight then your traveling pressure may rise to between 115-125. You might want to invest in a TPMS and then you can monitor the PSI fluxuations.

Good luck. Hopefully this will be your last occurrence.

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The max cold pressure on my tires say 110#. After weighing my RV, the charts show 85#. I run 92# for a safety margin and I see pressures as high as 120# on my TPMS in very hot weather.

I noticed that my RV ride was "rough" after having it serviced and found that the techs were inflating my tires to 105#. When I asked why, they told me they inflate all MH tires to 105#. When I asked why they had no really good answers. When dealing with a couple of tires shops they asked me I had the RV weighed to know the proper pressure to run.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #31
Bought my, new to me, Safari in 2010 it was 5 years old and had Michelin's on it. I had the rid given a good look over by experts and was told the tires had some cracking and to keep an eye on it. We took several long trips and in June of this year, we were on the road when we had a blow-out. I called several people and after many hours on the side of the road, we got a guy to bring out a tire and change it for $815.00. Yeah it was high but we couldn't drive it without a tire. Several days later I called the folks who replaced it and asked them about replacing the rest of the tires. I was told to join FMCA to get a great discount which I did. I was told by the tire people that 5 to 7 years is what to expect on the new tires.

smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote