Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Michelin Tire Cracks

Hi All..
I have a "New to Me" 04 Travel Supreme 40 DS04 Coach. One of the things I paid attention to were the tires.. It had 1410 Code tires which made them about 3 years old.. I felt good to go..
After getting it home and using it for a few trips and while washing then I noted what I would call "Micro" cracks around the circumference or the tire neat the wheel.. I have so far found this on 3 tires.. Haven't been able to see the inside duals..
I have been told Michelin will not warranty this issue! For sure the cracks are not going to get any better!
These are supposed to be "Premium" tires what is up. On my old coach I had Goodyear RV tires and they were 6 years old and the only issue I ever had was a bit of river wear..
What you you think?
Ron Husak
Conifer, CO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

When i was doing research to check my tires, somewhere, Michelin on their site states 8 yrs life of RV tires. I had a problem of blowout of 12 yr old tire, replaced the 4 12 yrs old
ones and when I found that out change out my 2 9yrs old ones, too. All had some cracking, picked the best for new spare.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rhusak,
Go to Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and take a look at the Michelin tire cracking chart. Consider printing the chart and compare it to your tires. I wouldn't get to excited. Track the cracks, over time. Take care of the tires. Coat them with the tire dressing of your choice, cover them when not in use and keep the PSI correct for the weight being carried.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi rhusak,
Go to Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery and take a look at the Michelin tire cracking chart. Consider printing the chart and compare it to your tires. I wouldn't get to excited. Track the cracks, over time. Take care of the tires. Coat them with the tire dressing of your choice, cover them when not in use and keep the PSI correct for the weight being carried.
Gary..
Thanks for the reply..
Michelin says NO TIRE DRESSING! They used to recommend 303 but stopped that when they labeled their own dressing.. Now they don't even do that.
It just gives me a sick feeling to see the cracking.. You KNOW it's only going to get worse..
Ron
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #5

Reminds me of the movie[I] The World's Fastest Indian[ /I] starring Anthony Hopkins. Fella is at Bonneville with his 1929 Indian motorcycle. They tell him his tires are cracked, so he takes them back to the motel and fills in the cracks with Kiwi shoe polish. Then he goes back and turns 200 mph!
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Clark..
Remember the movie well.. Maybe that is where Anthony Hopkins got his inspiration for the Hannibal Lector <sp> movies.. Just thinking about the kiwi polish at 200 MPH.. Would make anyone's sphincter pucker and make them psychotic.. RV tires are doing that to me..
Ron Husak
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

Ron .........

Looking at (and sometimes hitting) all the truck rubber scattered along the highway can do that. We got our MH about 6-7 years ago and the tires (Michelin) were only 4 years old, but starting to crack already. The MH had called Arizona home since '99.

I looked up the Michelin data on these tires; which told me they should be replaced at ten years of age, cracks or not. Sooner if cracked badly, of course. A couple of years ago I bit the bullet and spent $750 for two new front tires. They were cracked the worst and are the most critical. I bought Goodyears from the local truck center.

It now handles a lot better than with the squishy Michelins and the ride didn't change all that much. Pressure has more to do with the ride than anything. At 85# they are fairly comfortable and at 100# I can tell you whether a dime is heads or tails. I split the difference.

We have a tag axle, so I have six tires holding up the rear. I'll probably buy two more Goodyears next Spring and replace the worst two on the rear live axle, then two more on the duals the next year, saving the tag for last. That is, if I keep it that long. With my heart, I hate to buy green bananas, but if I can get a new one. . . (heart that is, not a MH)

I still have the factory (Goodyear) spare in the compartment in the rear. It's never seen Sun or the road and looks new. BTW, I don't think I've ever seen an RV'er use the old trucker's trick of checking tire pressure with a billy club - have you?
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #8

Resurrecting this thread.
I've been looking for a new-to-me motorhome and every single coach I look at with 4 or 5 year old Michelins are cracked. Some quite severely and a few that I know the owner religiously covered the tires when sitting.
The 9 year old Goodyears on my old motorhome looked like new.
I think I'd be hard pressed to buy Michelin based on what I've seen.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Savage Jr View Post
BTW, I don't think I've ever seen an RV'er use the old trucker's trick of checking tire pressure with a billy club - have you?
One of the trucker magazine did a "test" some years back. They set up a rig with some low tires and had 50 professional drivers "thump" the tires. Only two could actually tell when a tire was low enough to be a danger (20% low). So that's 4% of pros. I have a tire "thumper" haven't used it in years. I prefer to check my tires before I leave and at each stop by feeling the temperature.
I just got a TST system a couple weeks ago too.
So far, in my many years of RV'ing I've never had a blow out on an RV. Did have one on my Jeep, it was a GoodYear and was not showing any cracking.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

Just don't understand the micro-cracks in the Michelins.

Goodyears (old) and Hankooks (new) do not exhibit.

Michelin did recommend the 303, and then private labeled it from what I have read.

I take a look around the storage lot from time to time. Side cracks seem to be exclusive to the Michelins.

FWIW, I would not feel comfortable.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting pictures of cracks, great aid and facts to follow.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Just don't understand the micro-cracks in the Michelins.
Goodyears (old) and Hankooks (new) do not exhibit.
Not hard to understand.
Michelin RV tire warranty has 0 days for cracks.
Good Year RV tire has a 7 year warranty for cracks.

Now do you understand?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Not hard to understand.
Michelin RV tire warranty has 0 days for cracks.
Good Year RV tire has a 7 year warranty for cracks.

Now do you understand?
Triker56..
Was told by a Michelin dealer that they will NOT warranty for slight cracking.. They say it's "Cosmetic! I say it's the start of big troubles!
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #14

Bought my 05 dynasty in 2010 with original goodyears. Date code showed them to be 5 years and 10 months if I remember correctly. Goodyears were showing "rivering" and cracking along sidewalls. Mileage was in the mid 50,000's so the coach was not sitting all the time. I changed them out to Michelins and had an immediate better ride, also michelins took very little weight to balance compared to what I saw come off the Goodyears and so far no signs of cracking on the three year old Michelins. I do keep my tires covered when not in use and I do make sure that I take the coach out at least once a month and drive it for 30 min to 1 hr at highway speed. I really think that cracking is accelerated by coach sitting for longer periods of time without the exercise of all systems including tires. Having lived in FL most of my life, I also see the same thing on boat trailer tires, if you use them and keep them covered, they will last upwards of 10 yrs but if you let them sit uncovered in the open, you will be lucky to get 3 or 4 years out of them. It's hard to compare different brands of tires due the many variable factors that owner throw into the equation but I have always had good success with Michelins and will continue to use them until I have a bad experience that can't be resolved.