Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
WOW, am I confused! I spent most of yesterday researching this thing, checking prices, specs, reviews, etc!

I have Goodyear G670RV on there now. They are 7 years old and not a sign of dry rot or any other problems. It seems that the main problem with Goodyear is the "rivering" thingy. What exactly is this? I don't remember any reports on them blowing out. Has anyone had any problems with Goodyears bought in the last couple of years or so? Is it possible that they have that problem solved?

Now for the Michelins! It seems the big thing about them is the sidewalls blowing out. That scares me! Again, has anyone had that problem on tires bought in the last couple of years?

I'm also looking at Bridgestone. Any opinions on them?

I really appreciate all your comments!
I have the G670s and they are coming up on 8 years old but only have about ~13k miles and mine look great too!...but you can't ignore all the comments about the rivering...and most say it happens at around 30k miles.

On another post someone mentioned a website called simple tire and they had some great prices...I checked on Toyo and they were around ~$400 a tire for the 295/80R22.5s. That doesn't include shipping but no sales tax either.

tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #30

Quote:
I just talked with a tech support guy at Bridgestone. I told him about the "rivering" problem with the Goodyears, and he tells me that the "rivering" occurs to some extent in all tires, and that it is nothing to be concerned about!

He recommended their R283 for steer tires, but after looking at the specs I found it does not come in my size (295-80R-22.5) !

Hey Joe,

Look at the R268 Bridgestone.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Joe,

Look at the R268 Bridgestone.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

I'm looking at that one but it's designed specifically for regional pickup and delivery service, not OTR.

I've been researching the "rivering" problem, and I'm beginning to think it's not really a problem! I mentioned above that the tech support guy at Bridgestone says that all steer tires do that to some extent, depending on the tread design, but that it's nothing to be concerned about. I just found an extensive article about wear on steer tires, and I copied the page dealing with "rivering". They too say it's nothing to be concerned about.

Now that I know what "rivering" looks like, I just went out and checked my tires. I don't see any evidence of it, and they are 7 years old!

I hope the attachment below works!

img557.pdf

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #32

Michelin tire question

On the previous rig the GYs started rivering at 28K.
Bought this rig with new XZA2 on the steer, and 5 year old with 36K GYs on the rear 6, which were rivered to mere nubbins. Put the XZA2s on pronto.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #33
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Joe....not EVERY coach suffers from "rivering". I also think you're being fed a line by the Bridgestone representative. I've never scene or heard of any other RV tire that "rivers". Over the years, some have had no "rivering" issues and some have had nothing but problems. My Diplomat went through two sets of Goodyear G670's on the front before I gave up and went with the Hankooks.

The Goodyears are also a much harder riding tire. If your coach didn't have the "rivering" issues with the G670's, go ahead and buy them again, hopefully they'll perform well.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, I had Goodyears all around on my coach and they were 9 years old. When they came off they looked like new with about 25,000 miles on them. I got $70 a piece for them for casings.
I was going to put Bridgestone on and was talked into Firestone FS 561 which is owned by Brigestone. I also went with the 1100 22.5 truck size which is available anywhere.
Alot of the local trucks are running them with great results.
Some will tell you that they will ride like a truck, but I have to say they ride better and quieter than the Goodyears that came off. I have put 5000 miles on them now and am very happy with them.
They cost me $460 a piece and that is Canadian. I could have got them Cheaper across in the U.S. but the exchange on the dollar didn't work.

Just because I did that does not mean I think everyone should. Just another opinion and food for thought.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Joe....not EVERY coach suffers from "rivering". I also think you're being fed a line by the Bridgestone representative. I've never scene or heard of any other RV tire that "rivers". Over the years, some have had no "rivering" issues and some have had nothing but problems. My Diplomat went through two sets of Goodyear G670's on the front before I gave up and went with the Hankooks.

The Goodyears are also a much harder riding tire. If your coach didn't have the "rivering" issues with the G670's, go ahead and buy them again, hopefully they'll perform well.

Don, the attachment page was published by a tire industry group and they said the same thing. I'm thinking I will go back with the Goodyears unless someone can give me a good reason why they think these two sources are wrong. Looking at the tread design on the GY compared to the Michelins, I think the rivering is showing up more on the GY's is because the grooves have jagged edges compared to the Michelins and Bridgestones which have fairly straight edges. JMHO. Did the attachment open OK?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #36

Just had 6 new XZA3 installed yesterday. Only drove about 50 miles, but big difference from the old GY. My experience with the GYs is that the "rivering" was extreme. I can't believe that all tires do this, regardless of publications. I've talked with many RVers, and have not found anyone other than GY users with the problem. Certainly not a scientific survey.

I used the FMCA and was able to get the Michelins (275/80R22.5 LR H) for only $500 more out the door than for Toyos. Not that $500 is not important, but I will feel better with the Michelins until something occurs to convince me that they are not the best option.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Wake up guys! I want to be sure I'm not making a mistake here!

Tell me if you agree or disagree with the article I posted above, stating that the "rivering" is not really a concern. If you think it IS a concern, tell me what effect it has on the tire.

I want to make a decision today and would REALLY appreciate you help!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #38

Quote:

Tell me if you agree or disagree with the article I posted above, stating that the "rivering" is not really a concern. If you think it IS a concern, tell me what effect it has on the tire.

I can only comment from my experience, but in my case, I did not feel comfortable continuing to drive with the steer tire condition. I had the tires inspected by a GY dealer. He felt the cupping in the tires could eventually result in a belt failure caused by the "thumping" of the tread caused by the cupping. That is just my experience. My post earlier this morning shows that I just got new Michelins.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #39
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I can only comment from my experience, but in my case, I did not feel comfortable continuing to drive with the steer tire condition. I had the tires inspected by a GY dealer. He felt the cupping in the tires could eventually result in a belt failure caused by the "thumping" of the tread caused by the cupping. That is just my experience. My post earlier this morning shows that I just got new Michelins.
This is what's so confusing to me! The "rivering" the article mentioned does not mention cupping, just the wear around the top edges of the grooves. It sounds like your problem was not "rivering"

Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #40

Quote:

Joe, IMHO, how can any sort of tire wear (premature) not be a concern? A tire failure on your class A will result in a lot more than the few bucks you plan to save. Not to mention compromised ride or handling issues for the life of the tires.
Entirely your decision. Do what feels right.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Joe, IMHO, how can any sort of tire wear (premature) not be a concern? A tire failure on your class A will result in a lot more than the few bucks you plan to save. Not to mention compromised ride or handling issues for the life of the tires.
Entirely your decision. Do what feels right.

Dennis, look at the drawing of the "rivering" in the attachment I posted above. It looks like just wear along the top edges of the grooves around the tire. I don't see how that could cause any problems. Now if "cupping" is involved, that's a different story! I would not be saving any significant amount of money by going with the Goodyears so that's not my concern. Mainly it's just that I can get the GY's within a couple of days and I really need the MH for a trip next week.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Joe: I can comment on the ride. We have Michelin XZE's on the rear and Goodyear G670's on the steers. We put the Michelins on last Spring and noticed a softer ride right away. The G670s are a much harder ride, IMO.

The last two G670s get replaced this year. I was going to go with the XZE's all around, but am now rethinking the steers. I have been holding out for the Michelin XZA3+ ... if I can't get them I might consider the Continental HS3.

http://www.continental-truck-tires.c...id_hs3_en.html

\ken

PS. I do not have any "rivering" on my G670s.

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote