Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #113

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OK - Good luck, and try to work with the tire company to resolve this. If they won't work with you, and you charged the tires on credit, contact the credit card to dispute the purchase. This will get their attention! And
Doing that could very well get you a visit from a court to show cause.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doing that could very well get you a visit from a court to show cause.
And if they installed the wrong size tires on some of the wheels. Would that not be cause... (I believe that is what the gent said that I was responding too... If he asked for the wrong size, it should be on him. If he did not, and they installed what they had available and it was not appropriate, that should be on company.)

Smitty

Old 02-27-2016, 11:37 PM   #115

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
And if they installed the wrong size tires on some of the wheels. Would that not be cause... (I believe that is what the gent said that I was responding too... If he asked for the wrong size, it should be on him. If he did not, and they installed what they had available and it was not appropriate, that should be on company.)

Smitty
Yep, very true.

A good tire shop will refuse to put anything on a vehicle that is smaller than what the Federal sticker says even if requested by the buyer.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #116
Commercial Member

If I were spending a few hundred $ I would look at the receipt to be sure I was paying for what I ordered.
If you asked for size 11 shoes and the receipt showed size 11 but the clerk gave you size 10 then the clerk is in the wrong and would need to replace the shoes.

What size/Load Range tire did you ask for and what did the receipt show?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Love my Goodyear G670's that were replaced after 10 years 4 months.
New set of G670's have another 9 years 11 months to go.

Before that the OEM Michelin XRV's went 4 years and 6 years with 2 zipper blow outs. Running 110 PSI in them for the weight.

G670's only need 85-90(smoother ride) to carry the same weight and have a 7 year warranty on cracks too Michelin 0 days on cracks.
Triker, did you shop around for the best price? Where did you get them?

I've been very pleased with the ride and handling, even in wet driving conditions. My G670RV's are just coming up on 12 years, with 50,000 miles, show excellent tread and no abnormal wear. I probably will change them out this year, and am likely going to buy the same tire, unless something changes.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Triker, did you shop around for the best price? Where did you get them?
I didn't shop around. I buy them at the same tire shop in a small Indiana town. I have been buying most of my tires there since 1956.

G670's are a little high. I paid $3,145.80 out the door. Mounted, taxes and Equal balance in all 6. Or for 10 years use $314.85 a year.

Some may buy cheaper tires at $2,500 and replace at 7 years for $357.14 a year.

Your choice.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #119
Commercial Member

Quote:
Love my Goodyear G670's that were replaced after 10 years 4 months.
New set of G670's have another 9 years 11 months to go.

Before that the OEM Michelin XRV's went 4 years and 6 years with 2 zipper blow outs. Running 110 PSI in them for the weight.

G670's only need 85-90(smoother ride) to carry the same weight and have a 7 year warranty on cracks too Michelin 0 days on cracks.
Sorry to hear you had two Run Low Flex Failures i.e. "Zippers. As I mentioned in THIS post zipper failures can occur with any brand tire on any brand RV when the steel body cord is flexed and the steel fatigues.

As covered in trade journal Tire Business
" a zipper rupture is a tire failure in which the tire blows out in the upper sidewall, leaving an even line of broken steel cords exposed, which gives it the appearance of an open zipper. They are typically 10 to 12 inches long but can extend up to 36 inches in length. "

This type of failure can be avoided with the use of TPMS which will warn you of a loss of air.

Flex Fatigue is how you can break a steel paperclip as I demonstrate in my Tire Knowledge seminars, so any steel bodied tire can have this type of failure.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #120

Quote:
I didn't shop around. I buy them at the same tire shop in a small Indiana town. I have been buying most of my tires there since 1956.

G670's are a little high. I paid $3,145.80 out the door. Mounted, taxes and Equal balance in all 6. Or for 10 years use $314.85 a year.

Some may buy cheaper tires at $2,500 and replace at 7 years for $357.14 a year.

Your choice.
I'd be real pleased with that price. I was just quoted (at Lazy Days in Florida), $4192.00 OTD, but he did not mention balancing, so I don't know if that is even included. I did not buy them. Still looking.
Indian River, De
Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry to hear you had two Run Low Flex Failures i.e. "Zippers. As I mentioned in THIS post zipper failures can occur with any brand tire on any brand RV when the steel body cord is flexed and the steel fatigues.
Mine were never ran Low on PSI by the charts.
But they could have for some time(3 years) as Michelin came out while I had them and changed their PSI chart for the loads to a higher amount of PSI required. I then changed the PSI(June 2003) in mine. May have been too late and damage already done?

And both of them had rusty steel cords in the sidewall. But they didn't have TPMS on them. As Pressure Pro(TPMS) wasn't even available to me until one month after the second blow out. And PP was only used on them for 8 months before I replaced all of them(at 6 years 8 months old) for G670's.

Quote:
I'd be real pleased with that price. I was just quoted (at Lazy Days in Florida), $4192.00 OTD, but he did not mention balancing, so I don't know if that is even included. I did not buy them. Still looking.
You would think with the much lower barrel oil price now. That tire price would be dropping some. My price paid(September 2015) was for 275/70/22.5 tires.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #122

Just came back from Camping World, and got their "member price"; $5250.22 OTD, for 6 G670RV's. These people are nuts.
Indian River, De
Old 03-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #123

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Just came back from Camping World, and got their "member price"; $5250.22 OTD, for 6 G670RV's. These people are nuts.

I was quoted a similar price for 6 Michelins at the camping world in Fort Myers, FL. I called another tire dealer here today looking for Goodyears and he said there were only 6 G670's available in the us. They were in Baltimore. It was close to $1000 for shipping alone. Close to $6500 out the door!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Count me as another in favor of the Toyo tires. Great tires. Ride great, handle great, great price etc. Just got a set put on (295/80R,22.5) and paid $512.00 per tire mounted, spin balanced, including all taxes and fees etc. "Out the door". Just went into my local all purpose tire store ( they do all sizes and types of vehicles, have road service for big trucks down to little cars) and had them price the Goodyears, Hankooks, Yokahamas, and Toyos. I like the Toyos best anyway so I was glad they were the least expensive. He doesn't keep them in stock but had them on site the next day and he asked the distributor to send out the most recent manufacture dated ones he had. If your in the area it's Briscoe Tire in Denton Texas.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
I was quoted a similar price for 6 Michelins at the camping world in Fort Myers, FL. I called another tire dealer here today looking for Goodyears and he said there were only 6 G670's available in the us. They were in Baltimore. It was close to $1000 for shipping alone. Close to $6500 out the door!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier, 2014 CRV toad
Sounds like he was telling you a story. I can get them tomorrow, at Lazy Days, if I want them. They are getting regular shipments of fresh date-code tires every few weeks. He said they refuse tires that have date codes older than 6 months.

CW told me today that they would have them on Thursday, if I wanted them to do the job. I passed up their offer.
Indian River, De
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #126
Commercial Member

Quote:
Mine were never ran Low on PSI by the charts.
But they could have for some time(3 years) as Michelin came out while I had them and changed their PSI chart for the loads to a higher amount of PSI required. I then changed the PSI(June 2003) in mine. May have been too late and damage already done?

And both of them had rusty steel cords in the sidewall. But they didn't have TPMS on them. As Pressure Pro(TPMS) wasn't even available to me until one month after the second blow out. And PP was only used on them for 8 months before I replaced all of them(at 6 years 8 months old) for G670's.

You would think with the much lower barrel oil price now. That tire price would be dropping some. My price paid(September 2015) was for 275/70/22.5 tires.
Without TPMS there is no way to confirm you didn't get slow leak or puncture. Rust takes time and if were inner dual it's possible you didn't see the damage before failure.