Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Michelin tire weather cracking question.

While doing a routine check of the tires I noticed the front tires had moderate weather cracking near (2-3") the bead. A check of the rear tires showed no cracking. The tires are only 4 years old and all have the same build dates.

My RV repair guy said I should replace all six tires. My Michelin guy said I should call Michelin make a warranty request on the cracked tires. I have started the process.

My questions are. 1. What was the cause? Heat from braking? 2. Should I replace all 6 tires? 3. What can I expect from Michelin? Replacement...?
[The tires are 245 70- 19.5 XRV's]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

That's why they make tire covers....Got any?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

Did you ever use a tire shine chemical on the tires like "Armour"? I had Michelin tires on my Chevy truck and occasionally would use a cleaning/shine product on them. At 5 years old they showed some minor surface sidewall cracks which I ignored and sure enough, I had 2 blowouts in the next 12 months.
I have since heard that some chemicals will prematurely dry rot tires.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile

just attended Michelin rep lecture at the FMCA in Indio. M claims that small cracks are ok. recently they started warranty cracks, but they have to be 2 mm deep. (they have a little chart with pics, what is acceptable and non acceptable crack) M also advertise that you can ride on their tires 10 years or till the tread is 4/32
orit1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

The Michelin fan boys here aren't going to like this thread. Cracked sidewalls are the reason many of us refuse to buy their junk tires. Overpriced Garbage. There are so many better options these days I just can't understand why the OEM would even bother with Michelin tires any more.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
The Michelin fan boys here aren't going to like this thread. Cracked sidewalls are the reason many of us refuse to buy their junk tires. Overpriced Garbage. There are so many better options these days I just can't understand why the OEM would even bother with Michelin tires any more.
EXACTLY!

Addressing the claims or, at least "suggestions" that Michelins cracking is potentially due to tire dressing chemicals, or, the sun, well, pretty much shoot those down pretty good. We purchased our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP over 7.5 years ago and, at that time, it had BRAND NEW Michelin 255s on it. Well, that coach, NEVER sees the sun, unless we're using it. It has its own cave, attached to our home and it's basically a climate controlled RV garage. And, I have never, EVER used any tire dressing on any of those tires. Strictly soap and water and a brush.

Those tires started their infamous cracks right at 4.5 years old. They were small at first but, they grew for the next year and a half. At not quite 6 years old, I just couldn't trust them. I dug around, searched and came up with a different brand that would work perfectly. I ended up with Yokohama RY-103 LRG 265 75 22.5 tires. Close to $2,400 out the door and we're happy as can be with them for well over a year now.

If you want Michelins, by all means, it's your money.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:

Tom, why don't you tell us how you really feel.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #8

I have some Michelins that are going on 7 years old and no cracking. Stored inside when not in use. Apparently I have been lucky. Watching the 4 year old ones that are out more often so will see down the road. I have blown out almost every major tire ever made and sold and not nearly as many Michelins as the rest. Overloaded and road hazard many times and others just the tire. Tires will always be a hot button issue and quite interesting as well.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That's why they make tire covers....Got any?
I've never used tire covers. Have had several sets of tires replaced due to aged. Only ones that cracked were Michelin.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Michelin provides aggressive pricing to win the OEM market. They then make their larger profit from [locked in] replacement sales.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Michelin says mild cracking is normal, weather checking, the call it. They even explain it in their RV Tire Guide, saying it is merely a cosmetic thing.
https://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/

Few other brands have the problem, at least not to the extent that Michelin does. $ years is a pretty common time for the cracking to appear on normal RV use.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is the light surface cracking described in the Michelin RV Tire Guide, but I also don't buy Michelin tires. Why pay more money to get stuff soon develops blemishes? Especially when there are brands of equal or better quality costing 2/3's as much.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had 7 year old Michelin tires that weren't cracked, I'd suspect they were Chinese "knock-offs"
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
If I had 7 year old Michelin tires that weren't cracked, I'd suspect they were Chinese "knock-offs"
i have had quite a few Chinese and India tires, they vary a lot but most are junk

There are a couple popular brands now on RV's with none or very little warranty and some folks seem to be getting good service

Most of the Chinese and India tires round out and are made using old technology, used them on off road equipment as they were very cheap

I do see quite a few Michelins on the newer used Class A coaches and then seem to be doing pretty well

Time will tell
Old 01-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Michelin says mild cracking is normal, weather checking, the call it. They even explain it in their RV Tire Guide, saying it is merely a cosmetic thing.
https://www.michelinrvtires.com/reference-materials/

Few other brands have the problem, at least not to the extent that Michelin does. $ years is a pretty common time for the cracking to appear on normal RV use.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is the light surface cracking described in the Michelin RV Tire Guide, but I also don't buy Michelin tires. Why pay more money to get stuff soon develops blemishes? Especially when there are brands of equal or better quality costing 2/3's as much.

I have Michelins on quite a few vehicles however I sure won't pay near twice as much for the larger tires. The 20's have been competitively priced on the cars and pickups and have performed very well. One of the best attributes on the vehicles seems to be gripping the road in mist or rain. Huge difference from several others we ran. On my Solstice it is the difference from sliding corners to handling them so I don't knock Michelins yet anyway.