Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
That is the best answer!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #16

Had two Toyo tires that lost the tread at different times with less than four years on them--and they had proper pressure. As a matter of fact, when the second tire went, it still had 100 psi in the tire with the thread slapping. You can get whatever tires you want--we just replaced our seven year old Michelins with new Michelins, and we're going to keep Michelins on this and our next coach.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #17

We, bought 10 new Michelin tires on a road tractor, only 2 wore out the other 8 blew the sidewalls out. Put on Toyo's wore them all out, some went over 100,000 miles. I wouldn't put a Michelin tire, on you're bicycle! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
We, bought 10 new Michelin tires on a road tractor, only 2 wore out the other 8 blew the sidewalls out. Put on Toyo's wore them all out, some went over 100,000 miles. I wouldn't put a Michelin tire, on you're bicycle! LOL!!
There has to be more to this story.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #19

As I said, Peralko, "buy what makes you feel comfortable". If I'd had your experience, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with Toyos either! Luckily for me, I haven't and I hope I never do! If I did, though, I'd hope I wouldn't write off all the other brands I mentioned because of what my Toyos did.

I'm glad you're comfortable with your Michelins. I've never said they're a bad tire, I just don't think they're so much better than anything else that they justify the cost.

If FMCA members can get them for so much less, why is the MSRP so high? Do you think Michelin isn't making a good profit, even at FMCA pricing? I suspect that they are. Maybe if they just listed their tires for the price they're actually willing to sell them for, they might just run everyone else out of business!

By the way, Sir, Thank you for your service to our country!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Funny how nobody says they have found a better tire than
Michelins, just cheaper tires.
Like your momma told you, you get what you pay for.
JMHO.
I agree. I suspect that on a clear dry cool day any rated tire would be fine. However, I want one that will deliver the best performance under any condition. Have you ever wondered why some tires have different tread design? Why does siping appear on some tires and not on others. Tread block size and spacing, rubber compound all make a difference on performance in wet/dry /hot/cold conditions.

Like all safety items you should buy not on what they are worth, but what you and your family are worth.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #21

Do you consider Continental to be a third party tire? I'm also thinking about Firestone.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My son just put Firestone tires on his coach and they were only $500 each.
Same size as yours?

I just got 6 275/70/22.5 G670's out the door $524 each to replace my 10 year old G670's that were $348.

NO Michelin's allowed here on my MH after 2 zipper blow outs with 235/80/22.6
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #23

Whenever I see these posts proclaiming Michelin to be the best, the only tire to buy, I think of Guy Tann, and his family, from Los Angelos. Does anyone here remember him? It was probably about 10 years ago since he was killed in a crash, resulting from a zipper-rip blowout. Does anyone here remember all the many many Michelin tires that had zipper-rip blowouts? Rusted steel wires were found, found in tires that had side-wall failures. I do. I remember that well.

I don't know if I'd be permitted to post a link to another website, but I'm pretty sure I can post this:

Quote:

DEAR FRIENDS: A message was posted on this forum on the 4th of April by Guy Tann, advertising for a MH driver. He had just purchased his first motor home and needed a driver to deliver it to him in Los Angeles, Ca from Foxboro, Ma. Following several messages on this forum and other e-mails and telephone calls, I became the driver he chose to make this delivery. Over these last several months Guy and I developed the relationship of good friends. He flew to Albuquerque, NM to meet me on the delivery trip in order to aquaint himself with the vehicle. His "new" coach was a 1999 Country Coach Intrigue with 33.000 miles on it. Guy wanted to do everything "right": he put new tires on the coach (see thread concerning this), he changed ALL the fluids and filters and had the coach thoroughly gone over by the West Coast CC representative. Once this was completed, he and I went over and over all the systems for proper operation and understanding. He then took his family on a "maiden" cruise up the California coast for the weekend. He now felt that he was ready for his "big trip" and initiation into the world of RVs. He, his wife, son and two pups left on June 28th on this initial cross-country trip. On the 3rd of July, near Effingham, Illinois, the coach suffered a left, front wheel blow-out, sending the MH off the highway and head-on into a tree. Guy was killed. His wife suffered multiple fractures and internal injuries. Their son, 12 years old, required stitches for his relatively minor wounds. Guy's funeral was the day before yesterday in Los Angeles. Guy had so anticipated joining the rest of us in adventuring out in the world of RVing. Please join me in praying for Guy's family. He is a father, husband, and good friend who will be sincerely missed. Through my tears. . . oRV

Orvil Hazelton

Here's a link to that thread, which answers some members questions, including what tire were on the coach: (They were XRVs) Click here

EndQuote
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Funny how nobody says they have found a better tire than
Michelins, just cheaper tires.
Like your momma told you, you get what you pay for.
JMHO.
The Michelin tires on my motorhome say Made in USA.....No way would I let my children and grandchildren in my motorhome with a tire that says made in china!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevever View Post
Do you consider Continental to be a third party tire? I'm also thinking about Firestone.
Are you asking me? If so I would direct you to here. Look under quality.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Michelin tire brands =
Michelin
BF Goodrich
Uniroyal

Which of these are no good?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Can you show us documentation where Hankook's are a 3rd tier tire? I have them on my DP, my pickup, and see them all the time on OTR rigs, even on the steer axles. I rarely read about a failure, and there are plenty on here, as well as other forums running them.
He is your documentation on Hankook Tires, The Truck blew out a left front Hankook, Go ahead all you cheep people buy the cheep tires and save some $$$$$ (click on the picture to get the real effect)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11147877_10152711730631455_8852114500764599773_o.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	94605  
Old 05-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #28

So your saying Michelin, won't blow out, or expensive tires don't blow out?

Tags
tires