Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #29

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I just got one 315/80R/22.5 Michelin for $850 balanced and installed - of course I'm not in FL - Grand Rapids, MI.

Good luck with your search!
Last I looked that size tire was shown as around $600 on the Michelin Advantage plan. That's the same as our drive axle tires and the steer and tag are 365/70's

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So your saying Michelin, won't blow out, or expensive tires don't blow out?
Well....if that's what you get out of it...smh, I was answering a quote about Hankooks for one, but all CHEEP TIRES in general, but go ahead and spin it anyway you want.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
I'm really learning something here and had no idea that there were so many different ways to engineer a tire and still meet US DOT specs and approval for our nation's highways. Furthermore, don't know how the el-cheapo companies stay in business with all the blowouts and such, which surely must have produced some disasters to life and limb and creating law suits galore. Evidently swept under the rug, as well, since the last one I heard of, was many years ago, involving Firestone and don't think it was ever proven to be the tire itself, that was at fault. As for approval guidelines, it's been said that after that incident, Firestone at fault or not, no one would be trying to put an inferior tire out there for the public and expect to get away with it.
Now if we could just get some real feedback for the actual chemical and mechanical engineering process, for a good tire vs a bad one, I'm most sure, many of us would understand it all better and wake up the DOT to this fact, as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
He is your documentation on Hankook Tires, The Truck blew out a left front Hankook, Go ahead all you cheep people buy the cheep tires and save some $$$$$ (click on the picture to get the real effect)
What am I missing looking at the photo ? Was the Hankook on the tractor with the gooseneck ? If so , It seems very strange that the detach trailer is crossways on the highway? OR is there no picture just the recovery trailer of the damaged truck.? Just trying to understand the picture.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
He is your documentation on Hankook Tires, The Truck blew out a left front Hankook, Go ahead all you cheep people buy the cheep tires and save some $$$$$ (click on the picture to get the real effect)
Nasty picture, how were you able to determine what kind of tires were involved?
We're you one of the responders?

Dan
Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What am I missing looking at the photo ? Was the Hankook on the tractor with the gooseneck ? If so , It seems very strange that the detach trailer is crossways on the highway? OR is there no picture just the recovery trailer of the damaged truck.? Just trying to understand the picture.
There is only ONE TRUCK in the picture, the White Western Star with the Gooseneck still attached to the back of the Truck which blew the L F Tire that was a Hankook, sent the Truck through the concrete barrier, removing the forklift that was loaded on the Trailer you see lying upside down, physics put everything where it is sitting, if your second guessing the scene I don't know what to say....
Old 05-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Nasty picture, how were you able to determine what kind of tires were involved?
We're you one of the responders?

Dan
I have Family that are CHP El Monte
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I'm really learning something here and had no idea that there were so many different ways to engineer a tire and still meet US DOT specs and approval for our nation's highways. Furthermore, don't know how the el-cheapo companies stay in business with all the blowouts and such, which surely must have produced some disasters to life and limb and creating law suits galore. Evidently swept under the rug, as well, since the last one I heard of, was many years ago, involving Firestone and don't think it was ever proven to be the tire itself, that was at fault. As for approval guidelines, it's been said that after that incident, Firestone at fault or not, no one would be trying to put an inferior tire out there for the public and expect to get away with it.
Now if we could just get some real feedback for the actual chemical and mechanical engineering process, for a good tire vs a bad one, I'm most sure, many of us would understand it all better and wake up the DOT to this fact, as well.
What you are really saying is ALL tires are subject to blowouts ?, that said considering the only blowout I ever had was with a Michelin tire on my almost new Monaco Windsor, back in 1999. It was a rear inside and took out all the airbags ,inter fender, etc.
I always bought Michelins on my trucks, which accounted to millions of miles over the past 50 years. I am sure there were some blowouts on steers, and some Michelins too considering thats all I bought for many years. I had 4 trucks all running at same times. Where the Michelins shined was on our lowboy trailers.They lasted twice as long as any other small dia tire that was expected to preform under very harsh environments. For one thing there were few alternatives out there for 15" 16 ply tires. All we could find mostly were 10 ply whatever's, they lasted sometimes a week !

Personally from my own experience was the Michelins had weak sidewalls, always did, still do. They were and are designed that way, for a good ride, being able to use a narrow wheel, and of coarse the fact they were the only " steel Belted" tire on the market in those days. Its not scientific here, but i feel on a motorcoach I would rather loose the tread than the sidewall.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #37

Quote:
What you are really saying is ALL tires are subject to blowouts ?, that said considering the only blowout I ever had was with a Michelin tire on my almost new Monaco Windsor, back in 1999. It was a rear inside and took out all the airbags ,inter fender, etc.
I always bought Michelins on my trucks, which accounted to millions of miles over the past 50 years. I am sure there were some blowouts on steers, and some Michelins too considering thats all I bought for many years. I had 4 trucks all running at same times. Where the Michelins shined was on our lowboy trailers.They lasted twice as long as any other small dia tire that was expected to preform under very harsh environments. For one thing there were few alternatives out there for 15" 16 ply tires. All we could find mostly were 10 ply whatever's, they lasted sometimes a week !

Personally from my own experience was the Michelins had weak sidewalls, always did, still do. They were and are designed that way, for a good ride, being able to use a narrow wheel, and of coarse the fact they were the only " steel Belted" tire on the market in those days. Its not scientific here, but i feel on a motorcoach I would rather loose the tread than the sidewall.
Michelin still makes a awesome 17.5 for our Lowbeds and great mileage!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #38

Quote:
There is only ONE TRUCK in the picture, the White Western Star with the Gooseneck still attached to the back of the Truck which blew the L F Tire that was a Hankook, sent the Truck through the concrete barrier, removing the forklift that was loaded on the Trailer you see lying upside down, physics put everything where it is sitting, if your second guessing the scene I don't know what to say....
as I said , just trying to understand the photo. The detach looks like it was parked in that spot, getting ready to load the wrecked tractor that is NOT in the photo. ? How do you know the tractor was a Western Star ?...again not trying to debate just asking the oblivious.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:17 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have had a Michelin do the same thing, but it wasn't as catostophic as that. Dose not matter what brand they are THEY CAN FAIL!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have had a Michelin do the same thing, but it wasn't as catostophic as that. Dose not matter what brand they are THEY CAN FAIL!
Sure that can ALL FAIL, would you like to talk odds that I have had over the years moving Heavy Equipment?
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #41

525.00 Balanced and installed at RayBen tire in Scott City Mo. Had four put on 235 80R 22.5's. Have two more to go later.
The price included new valves and balanced.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #42

Quote:
as I said , just trying to understand the photo. The detach looks like it was parked in that spot, getting ready to load the wrecked tractor that is NOT in the photo. ? How do you know the tractor was a Western Star ?...again not trying to debate just asking the oblivious.
The detach is upside down....The Truck is In the first photo also.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ws.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	94614  

Tags
tires