Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #43

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What you are really saying is ALL tires are subject to blowouts ?, that said considering the only blowout I ever had was with a Michelin tire on my almost new Monaco Windsor, back in 1999. It was a rear inside and took out all the airbags ,inter fender, etc.
I always bought Michelins on my trucks, which accounted to millions of miles over the past 50 years. I am sure there were some blowouts on steers, and some Michelins too considering thats all I bought for many years. I had 4 trucks all running at same times. Where the Michelins shined was on our lowboy trailers.They lasted twice as long as any other small dia tire that was expected to preform under very harsh environments. For one thing there were few alternatives out there for 15" 16 ply tires. All we could find mostly were 10 ply whatever's, they lasted sometimes a week !

Personally from my own experience was the Michelins had weak sidewalls, always did, still do. They were and are designed that way, for a good ride, being able to use a narrow wheel, and of coarse the fact they were the only " steel Belted" tire on the market in those days. Its not scientific here, but i feel on a motorcoach I would rather loose the tread than the sidewall.
Yes, that too and they all are subjected to having a blowout, but what's more true, is that none of them are subject to this kind of failure unless they've been running low on air or encounter a road hazard.
The only blowout, we've had thus far, was with a 6 yr old GY on the tag and it certainly looked like something got it on the NY state thruway. Lot of debris on the highway there, so I can well believe it. Thing is the duallies right in front of the tag, didn't have a mark on them, so maybe it did lose enough air for whatever reason and until it couldn't stand it any longer.
GY's and RV tires in general, seem to have softer rubber and the GY's also have a reputation for wearing faster. With all the excellence in engineering hype, I really think it's mostly about ride and traction, more than anything else with the costs and none of which is important to me with an RV that travels seasonally at 50 mph or so.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
The detach is upside down....The Truck is In the first photo also.....
What is interesting to me on this photo, is that it is Not on a freeway, the speed limit is likely 45 mpg. Lots of damage at less than freeway speeds.

My thought is that without a TPMS any brand of tire could pick up a nail, lose air and result in a blowout.
The only proof for me is accurate history of the brand over a period of time.
Too many variables in a single incident to condem the entire company.
We need to know if a tire failure happened when the tire was properly inflated and not too old.

Regards,
Dan

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What is interesting to me on this photo, is that it is Not on a freeway, the speed limit is likely 45 mpg. Lots of damage at less than freeway speeds.
It looks to me that it happened on the 57 freeway at the Orangethorpe exit. That would be in Fullerton, CA. It's a major Orange County freeway and is almost always busy. In my experience there, traffic runs at 65-70 MPH unless it's rush hour. That freeway is one of the main reasons I moved out of OC back in 1988!

As horrific as that wreck looks, it doesn't really prove anything. We have no idea how that particular Hankook tire was maintained during its life. How old was it? Was it properly inflated? Did the driver hit some road debris? There are too many unanswered questions to draw any meaningful conclusions. I'll bet I could find similar pictures of wrecks caused by any brand of tire you'd care to mention.

Look, I'm not here to put down Michelin tires. They're obviously a quality product with a strong following. Buy them if you want to, it doesn't bother me at all. I just know that there are lots of other companies from several different counties that make tires that work just as well as Michelins, and you don't have to join any organizations or know the "secret handshake" to get a decent deal on them.

And now, as a public service, since I now know that there are those who don't even want to be around anyone driving a motor home on "cheap tires", I'll give you a warning. On Wednesday, my DW and I will get in our 32' Seabreeze and drive from Carson City, NV. to Grass Valley, CA. to attend the Strawberry Music Festival. You have been warned! Stay away, far, far away! You never know when these Samson tires are just gonna explode for no reason and wipe out everyone within several miles! Better safe than sorry, I always say.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oops. ....Silver bib is right...I did not notice the carpool lane..

Dan
Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #47

i did not see the second photo. i guess the trailer separated from the neck ? Very uncommon without the tractor turning over also.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stay off US 93 thru Nevada next week also as me and my Hankooks will be headed north.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #49

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto on the FMCA program! Just sent you a PM with some details.
FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

My thought is that without a TPMS any brand of tire could pick up a nail, lose air and result in a blowout.
The only proof for me is accurate history of the brand over a period of time.
Too many variables in a single incident to condem the entire company.
We need to know if a tire failure happened when the tire was properly inflated and not too old.

Regards,
Dan
Major 5 lane freeway (57) in southern California...smh
Old 05-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #51

Anyone know what brand of Tires the factory installs on these Tuscany's, Coach looks new enough to have original Tires, It was moving a little fast for me also...
Check Out This Brutal RV Crash | Video | Break.com
Old 05-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurph44 View Post
The Michelin tires on my motorhome say Made in USA.....No way would I let my children and grandchildren in my motorhome with a tire that says made in china!
Not to mention American jobs. No one seems to care about that anymore.

We did have one Michelin blowout on the right inside dual. Blew on the inside, no harm done. Why? Because it was ten years old. Our fault for letting it go so long.

Since we have replaced all six with new Michelins using the FMCA deal. You will get back the membership price on one tire.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Not to mention American jobs. No one seems to care about that anymore.

We did have one Michelin blowout on the right inside dual. Blew on the inside, no harm done. Why? Because it was ten years old. Our fault for letting it go so long.

Since we have replaced all six with new Michelins using the FMCA deal. You will get back the membership price on one tire.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm certainly not surprised, since I was comparing 10 year old Michelins to brand new Samsons, but at what point in their lives do the curves cross each other? Does a brand new Samson feel like a 2 year old Michelin? 4 year old? 6 year old? I don't think anyone can answer that.
I think age has little to do with ride quality. Tire sidewall design, the rubber compounds used, and (most importantly) inflation pressure are what counts.

Some tires are designed for extreme long tread wear and use harder rubber or thicker tread area. Some have a more flexible sidewall for a slightly cushier ride (but mostly just in passenger car tires). Some use different tread designs for superior performance in the rain or mud. City use tires have sturdier should area for scuff and curb resistance. Mostly these differences are small, though, and a motorhome represents a cross-section of several tire use patterns anyway. Some long haul highway, some city, some off-road, but seldom high mileage.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
And now, as a public service, since I now know that there are those who don't even want to be around anyone driving a motor home on "cheap tires", I'll give you a warning. On Wednesday, my DW and I will get in our 32' Seabreeze and drive from Carson City, NV. to Grass Valley, CA. to attend the Strawberry Music Festival. You have been warned! Stay away, far, far away! You never know when these Samson tires are just gonna explode for no reason and wipe out everyone within several miles! Better safe than sorry, I always say.
Too funny. I will be driving from Carson City to Newcastle, CA to pick up my coach on Wednesday. I'll keep an eye out for you.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #56

A good friend of mine used to own a tire store. His opinion is he would prefer to not even ride in a coach that does not have Michelin tires. I value his expert opinion and just ordered 6 255-80-22.5 XRV tires for my coach. Through FMCA the tires are $503 each and then I pay the mouint/dismount and balancing to the dealer directly.

Tags
tires