Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Just throwing the following out FWIW. A member of another forum I'm on is a retired CEO from a major tire manufacturer with over 45 years of tire industry experience. When asked for a tire recommendation in addition to Michelin, this was his response:

"Here are several that I would use: Bridgestone, BFG, Continental, Falken/Otshu, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Sumitomo, Toyo, Yokohama. Also BFG is owned by Michelin and while they may not utilize the same exact technology as Michelin, they do use a previous generation technology which is just fine for a motorhome that will never wear out its tires."

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #58
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am happy to share that I have recently purchased 6 New Michelin XRV 235/80R 22.5 tires.

Could not be more pleased. (on my 3rd set)

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Sure that can ALL FAIL, would you like to talk odds that I have had over the years moving Heavy Equipment?
I too hauled heavy equipment and ran 7 axle log trucks. Yes we used alot of Michelin tires but being I wasn't the one buying them we sometimes used what ever was put on. I never had any severe problem with other brands. Michelin might of got a year before replacing and others a little less. We ran on some pretty extreme conditions and dollar for dollar to mile for mile there was no great difference. I did prefer the Michelins for that kind of service.

Would I spend the extra bucks for Michelin for a motorhome that in my mind is light duty? No, I went with Firestone and will take them off after six or seven years and get used tire trade in on them.
Nothing wrong with Michelin but I think they are over kill when you not going to wear them out.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #60

Neither the wife nor I would let anyone we love ride in our old class A mh, even with the best of tires, it is too dangerous. Soon a set of new Double Coins will be rolling two occupants with ambivalent feelings for each other, somewhere in the PNW, with no known destination or route. We don't drive the interstates so they will be safe for travel.
I keep the innocent safe by driving slow, watch for developing dangers far ahead and generally staying very alert for admittedly selfish reasons.

In the early 70's our family had some bad luck with belt separation on Firestone tires. The next set of tires dad bought were house brand from a dept. store. Shortly after purchase he took me for a ride to point out the left right wag in his Mercury. Belt separation again, so we headed to the dept. store. Dad asked the salesman who made their house brand, the reply, Firestone. 10 years later I bought a used pickup with Firestones on the front. Driving home from work one day the left front started bouncing up and down. Exited the freeway and when home I jacked the front and spun the wheel revealing that the tire was now grossly out of round.
When news broke that Firestone had major problems with another batch of tires a decade ago, my ears stood up.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:19 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think age has little to do with ride quality. Tire sidewall design, the rubber compounds used, and (most importantly) inflation pressure are what counts.

Some tires are designed for extreme long tread wear and use harder rubber or thicker tread area. Some have a more flexible sidewall for a slightly cushier ride (but mostly just in passenger car tires). Some use different tread designs for superior performance in the rain or mud. City use tires have sturdier should area for scuff and curb resistance. Mostly these differences are small, though, and a motorhome represents a cross-section of several tire use patterns anyway. Some long haul highway, some city, some off-road, but seldom high mileage.
The flexible sidewall found on most all Michelin's ate part of the whole design . You do give up a greater chance of sidewall damage with their tires than a lot of others. Part of the design they use, ( and its been around a long time ) is they are said to run cooler on hot days.. The real disappointment comes when you have just put new Michele shoes on your truck, and then get a call from a driver informing he needs anew tire the first time out on a job site where he picked up somthing that effected the sidewall so much that the tire blew , or was so bad, it had to be changed, and with only 100 miles on the tire ! Ever wonder why Michelin does not make serious off road rubber like say Hankook or Super Swampers.? Me , just me , want a stronger sidewall, less flex , and a lesser chance of blowing out a sidewall. Winter tires too for large trucks and tractors., I go with Nokia hands down as the best tire out there. Too bad they do not import the sizes we need for our coaches.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
+10 Michelins. Won't trust anything else.

Cheers!
Old 05-20-2015, 06:26 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevever View Post
I'm looking for a supplier with reasonable prices to get a new set of six Michelin tires. The stores in Florida want over $1000 per tire for a 295/80R 22.5 tire. The tires on my coach are XZA2 Energy Michelin tires. My son just put Firestone tires on his coach and they were only $500 each. I would also like to know if anyone has put other name tires on their coach after having Michelin, and experienced a ride that is as smooth as with the Michelin.

How old are they?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I am happy to share that I have recently purchased 6 New Michelin XRV 235/80R 22.5 tires.

Could not be more pleased. (on my 3rd set)
That's what the dealer put on my new to me coach when I bought it in February. I specifically asked for the Michelins.

jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
He is your documentation on Hankook Tires, The Truck blew out a left front Hankook, Go ahead all you cheep people buy the cheep tires and save some $$$$$ (click on the picture to get the real effect)
Funny, I called a buddy on the CHP MAIT as I recognized the interchange, he said they are still investigating it, but believe the rig was a runaway and driver lost control. He said you obviously know something they do not and would like you to call the Santa Ana Office at 714-567-6000.
For those that want to read the news article - http://www.ocregister.com/articles/f...ck-patrol.html
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #66
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
As I said, Peralko, "buy what makes you feel comfortable". If I'd had your experience, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable with Toyos either! Luckily for me, I haven't and I hope I never do! If I did, though, I'd hope I wouldn't write off all the other brands I mentioned because of what my Toyos did.

I'm glad you're comfortable with your Michelins. I've never said they're a bad tire, I just don't think they're so much better than anything else that they justify the cost.

If FMCA members can get them for so much less, why is the MSRP so high? Do you think Michelin isn't making a good profit, even at FMCA pricing? I suspect that they are. Maybe if they just listed their tires for the price they're actually willing to sell them for, they might just run everyone else out of business!

By the way, Sir, Thank you for your service to our country!
With a number of people holding the idea that "You get what you pay for" they are assuming that price and quality are directly related which of course is a false assumption.

I have seen some tire gauges listed at well over $100 but I use and have tested a number of units that sell in the $10 - $12 range. Is there any way the $100 gauge is ten times better? Can't think how but still some people buy the $100 gauge believing it must be better.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #67

Steve, I am so sorry your first post has turned into a pissing match.
I wish I could help with your search for a tire dealer.

And welcome to the forum. I think it will get better if you hang around.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #68

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeguy View Post
A good friend of mine used to own a tire store. His opinion is he would prefer to not even ride in a coach that does not have Michelin tires. I value his expert opinion and just ordered 6 255-80-22.5 XRV tires for my coach. Through FMCA the tires are $503 each and then I pay the mouint/dismount and balancing to the dealer directly.
You don't suppose his opinion, while remaining loyal, had anything to do with the possibility that he also sold Michelin's and one of his most profitable products, as well, do you?...
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
Stay away from any third tier tire (Hancook). Buy Michelin through FMCA as Gary said above. This from a retired fleet manager, 45 years experience, with fleets of up to 5400 class 5-8 trucks.
Stay safe.
I can well understand that, as I have a cousin who won't put third tier gasoline in his car and burns nothing but Exxon. He' also proven it's worth too, since he's never had an engine blow up in all the cars he's bought new, so I don't see how one can argue with that.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Steve, I am so sorry your first post has turned into a pissing match.
I wish I could help with your search for a tire dealer.

And welcome to the forum. I think it will get better if you hang around.
Hey, I tried finding him that size, as others did, in a Michelin and in other brands, as well. This in itself is a good enough reason for being pissed at Michelin in any kind of a match...
Their marketing team must stay awake at night, trying to force people into paying their exorbitant prices, when their product's reputation, won't command it, on it's own. Not saying that it's not a good tire, but saying that it's not worth all the extra money and forget it with this cheap BS as the only alternative.
I'm going out on a limb again and say that if you took every tire that had a US DOT number on it and put them all through a series of tests, that they would all pretty much come out, fairing the same and produce the same results.

Tags
tires