Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #85
Just put the Goodyear 661hsa and went on our first trip. The ride was much better than the Michelins. They were only 450 mounted and balanced.

miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #86
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Not to mention American jobs. No one seems to care about that anymore.

We did have one Michelin blowout on the right inside dual. Blew on the inside, no harm done. Why? Because it was ten years old. Our fault for letting it go so long.

Since we have replaced all six with new Michelins using the FMCA deal. You will get back the membership price on one tire.
Not to mention the huge investment Hankook is making in their USA tire plant.

Not to mention the excellent performance and ride quality that I have experienced in 2.5 years and 10K miles on my Hankook AH 12's (275/70/22.5)

Not to mention the Michelins at my storage facility with sidewall cracks on most.

Not to mention the rivering on GY670"s that I replaced.

Folks, there are some good tires out there that do not command the highest price in the land. Some are made offshore, but as they built marketshare in the USA, the factories follow!

1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #87
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
RE Zipper failure

So lets see if I understand this correctly. The steel cords from 50 to 70 different spools (each of which is about 500 yards long) of steel all just happened to have a defect (rusty steel) that randomly lined up such that the multiple defects all happened at the same point in the tire sidewall.

AND this alignment occurred in two different tires that just happened to be on a single coach.

Ok, That sounds logical to me.

Have to wonder what DOT said when a complaint was filed that included the evidence of the multiple manufacturing defects.
Hey, now!! Don't go trying to use facts and logic in an internet discussion! That never works. You should know better!

Y'all can relax for a while. We returned home from our trip across the Sierra Nevada Mountains (both ways!) this afternoon on 15 month old Chinese tires. We didn't kill anyone this time, but watch out for the next time! Don't worry, I'll give you a warning.

Bob and Michelle
Endangering motorists in seven western states since 1995.
SilverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #88
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm guess people don't realize the following:
U.S. Operations

Michelin North America is a $10.76 billion dollar a year company operating 19 plants in 16 locations and employs 22,000 people. It manufactures and sells tires for airplanes, automobiles, farm equipment, heavy duty trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. Michelin manufactures tires in six states: Alabama, Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, North Carolina and South Carolina. In addition, there are three plants in Nova Scotia, Canada and one plant in Queretaro, Mexico. Two plants specialize in the manufacturing of semi-finished goods taking raw materials and turning them into components for the plants that produce tires and one plant strictly produces synthetic rubber. Finished goods are produced in sixteen plants, two sites produce retreads for the trucking and one site produces retreads for the aircraft industry.
Michelin has been a part of the tire industry in the United States since 1907 when it purchased the International Rubber Company in Milltown, New Jersey. Tires and tubes were manufactured there up until 1930 when the Great Depression took its toll on what had become the fourth largest tire manufacturer in the country with 2,000 employees. The Michelin North America as we know it today took form In March of 1950. With three sizes and two different tread designs of truck tires made with metallic plies, five people started Michelin Tire Corporation in New York City. There was an executive vice president, a vice president of sales, a secretary, a warehouse supervisor and one newly hired sales representative. The tires cost anywhere from 40-50% more than the competition but their construction with metal plies bonded to rubber allowed Michelin salesmen to offer a tire solution to fleets operating under the most severe conditions. This included fleets dealing with extremely heavy loads and in the sanitation business. This strategy established a reputation of durability and quality still prevalent today in the modern trucking industry.
More info: About Michelin North America | Michelin US
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #89
Fleetwood Owners Club
RE Zipper failure

So lets see if I understand this correctly. The steel cords from 50 to 70 different spools (each of which is about 500 yards long) of steel all just happened to have a defect (rusty steel) that randomly lined up such that the multiple defects all happened at the same point in the tire sidewall.

AND this alignment occurred in two different tires that just happened to be on a single coach.

Ok, That sounds logical to me.
Sounds logical to me too.
As both zipper blow out OEM tires had the same DOT made date on them.
My 6 G670's have 4 of them with the same date.

By all the zipper blow outs that happen. There probably was several spools that had defect (rusty steel) that were used.

Not all of those zipper blow outs could have come from just one spool.

We will never know how Michelin changed, in the making of the XRV as the zipper blow outs rates slowed way down in numbers.
As they never admitted to any fault.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #90
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
"Zipper" failure is physical proof the tires were run underinflated for a few miles.
I watch my TPMS display as much as I watch my speedometer.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #91
Commercial Member
For those that have never toured a tire production facility here is some information that might prove educational.

Steel used in tires arrives on individual spools and are placed in a temperature and humidity controlled room on creel racks.

the individual cord on each spool is then fed into a calendering press where rubber is squeezed around the individual cords under high pressure.

this sheet is then rolled up and will later be cut into sheets that make up the body or belt ply.

Now of course this process creates a big challenge for those trying to end up with defective cords from dozens if not every one of adjacent spools in the creel room all aligning up in the calender press and then ensuring that after cutting the locations of defective material that was so carefully aligned also ends up in the upper part of the tire sidewall and not under the belts or in the lower sidewall, as the sheet that was previously cut now has been turned 90 so the defect must be on one side of the building drum.

But I am sure this is exactly how steel cord fatigue lines up in a tire sidewall. Just as the Polyester cord in this LT tire had the melted cords all manage to get aligned in the mid sidewall.

You are correct SilverBob, I just am too tied up with reality and facts to see the truth.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote