Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Michelin Tires

I'm looking for a supplier with reasonable prices to get a new set of six Michelin tires. The stores in Florida want over $1000 per tire for a 295/80R 22.5 tire. The tires on my coach are XZA2 Energy Michelin tires. My son just put Firestone tires on his coach and they were only $500 each. I would also like to know if anyone has put other name tires on their coach after having Michelin, and experienced a ride that is as smooth as with the Michelin.
Stevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevever View Post
I'm looking for a supplier with reasonable prices to get a new set of six Michelin tires. The stores in Florida want over $1000 per tire for a 295/80R 22.5 tire. The tires on my coach are XZA2 Energy Michelin tires. My son just put Firestone tires on his coach and they were only $500 each. I would also like to know if anyone has put other name tires on their coach after having Michelin, and experienced a ride that is as smooth as with the Michelin.
As an alternative to your question, for a Michelin supplier, I'd be getting on the phone with someone like Hankook and be asking them what replacement tire I could put on my rig. Michelin had a habit of manufacturing some odd sizes, so as to lock in the customer with their exorbitant prices and not sure if your size is one of them, but do know that there are plenty of the 295/75R 22.5 size available.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FMCA has a Michelin purchase program, usually best pricing you will find. Plus its typically handled through genuine Michelin dealers who are very knowledgeable in truck and RV applications.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Try the FMCA "Michelin Advantage" fleet buying program for excellent Michelin discounts (must be an FMCA member). However, I chose to go with Continental tires for my coach - near half the price and and a top quality tire. Bridgestone, Hankook and Toyo are also excellent alternatives. What's available depends on the size and load range you need, of course.

I found Callaghan Tire to be a good Florida source, but shop around. Google your tire size and you should get several hits in your area, then call and talk about an "out the door" price for the 6 or 8 tires you need.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I replaced Michelin with Toyo in 2002 on the MH. Have run Toyo and Bridgestone since.

Still have Michelin on one Jeep.

All good tires.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

Stay away from any third tier tire (Hancook). Buy Michelin through FMCA as Gary said above. This from a retired fleet manager, 45 years experience, with fleets of up to 5400 class 5-8 trucks.
Stay safe.
Les & Carla, Dixie the gentle giant Great Pyr, Remy the Pyr/Lab and Chester the wonder dog Yorkie. 2014 Hurricane 34E, 2014 Ford Focus Toad, Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar, 2013 John Deere 3032E, 2015 John Deere 1023,
THS Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
Stay away from any third tier tire (Hancook). Buy Michelin through FMCA as Gary said above. This from a retired fleet manager, 45 years experience, with fleets of up to 5400 class 5-8 trucks.
Stay safe.
I, for one, would be interested to know what is wrong with Hankook tires. Can you point us to your source on information?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #8

I second that, what's wrong with Hankook tires?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a Michelin fan, having had several sets on motorhomes. However have heard only good things in RV service about Hankook tires. I bought Hankook LT tires for my old F150 pickup truck, were the cheapest around and seem to be doing the job.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THS Hammer View Post
Stay away from any third tier tire (Hancook).
Can you show us documentation where Hankook's are a 3rd tier tire? I have them on my DP, my pickup, and see them all the time on OTR rigs, even on the steer axles. I rarely read about a failure, and there are plenty on here, as well as other forums running them.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
I have used and liked Michelin and Bridgestones. Also had some Hankook on a motorhome that I only had for a brief period of time and can't really make a comment about them.

I have used and didn't like Goodyear
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Funny how nobody says they have found a better tire than
Michelins, just cheaper tires.
Like your momma told you, you get what you pay for.
JMHO.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I just got one 315/80R/22.5 Michelin for $850 balanced and installed - of course I'm not in FL - Grand Rapids, MI.

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Funny how nobody says they have found a better tire than
Michelins, just cheaper tires.
Like your momma told you, you get what you pay for.
JMHO.
Can anyone please tell me what makes one tire "better" than another? While one might last longer, what difference does that make when we're all replacing our tires every 7 years? Nobody I know has ever worn out their tread in that time on an RV.

Some talk about ride quality. There's a subjective argument if I've ever heard one! My coach had 10 year old Michelins on it when we bought it. After I drove it 450 miles home, I replaced them ASAP with Samson GL283s. Guess what? The ride improved! I'm certainly not surprised, since I was comparing 10 year old Michelins to brand new Samsons, but at what point in their lives do the curves cross each other? Does a brand new Samson feel like a 2 year old Michelin? 4 year old? 6 year old? I don't think anyone can answer that.

Buy whatever makes you comfortable. I wouldn't have a problem driving across the country with Michelins, Goodyears, Yokohamas, Coopers, Hankooks, Samsons, Firestones, BFGs, Toyos, or a few other brands that don't come to mind right now.

The big secret is to keep them properly inflated and balanced. If you do that, you'll enjoy the RV lifestyle for many years to come. If you don't, you're gonna have problems, and I don't care what brand you buy.

Tags
tires