Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

Michelin Tires age poorly

Here is a video of what my 4 1/2 year old Michelin tires look like. And they only have 18,400 miles on them. I also check all the rv's that park were I do. And all of the RV's with Michelin tires had cracks in them. There were GoodYears and Sumo's that were way older with no cracks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Well then, our Newmar VTDP 4369 is at 39789 miles wrapped inMichelins since day one ( original equipment) and not a crack in sight. Monthly application of 303 I am sure has helped. We never cover our tires but do park on 1/2” plywood when stored. Had coach weighed on each axle, calculated correct cold pressures and just drive. . .
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago when I had a Class C I replaced the Firestones (that's another story) with Michelin thinking I'd spend a little more but they last longer. Man was I wrong, after about 4 years they were so cracked I was afraid to drive them so replaced with Bridgestones, they lasted until I sold the coach.

I have Bridgestones on my Class A now, I have to change out the front tires due to aging out (10 years) but the tires still look like new.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Oops, forgot to mention, ours was built September 14 as a 2015 model year
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:15 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP
Did you cover the tires when stored?
Did you use any "tire shine" products on them?
Was the rig stored anywhere near a welder?
In other words, did you follow Michelins instructions for care and maintenance?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #6

For the most part the cracks that you show are minimal. That being said I also had Michelin cracking (date code 2513). The local Michelin dealer found 1 tire with one crack at a depth of 3/32". There were other cracks as seen in the photo. They sent the results to Michelin and Michelin gave me a credit of 94% on a set of 6 tires. Once installation and balancing for the front tires, the total cost to me was 25%.
Have them checked out to see if they are covered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin tire cracking.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	242893  
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
Well then, our Newmar VTDP 4369 is at 39789 miles wrapped inMichelins since day one ( original equipment) and not a crack in sight. Monthly application of 303 I am sure has helped. We never cover our tires but do park on 1/2” plywood when stored. Had coach weighed on each axle, calculated correct cold pressures and just drive. . .
There was a Super C where I park as well. His tires had a date of 2016 and they were huge and no cracks but all the 22.5's had cracks.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OP
Did you cover the tires when stored?
Did you use any "tire shine" products on them?
Was the rig stored anywhere near a welder?
No to all questions above.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #9

At the beginning of the video it looks like the video starts in an RV storage area based on how tightly they’re parked. Right away I noticed none of the vehicles had tire covers. Just an observation.

I’m on my second set of tires because of years of age, not cracks. First set were Goodyear, this set are Michelin.

I never saw nor see cracks on my tires. I use tire cleaner on them, but religiously I use my tire covers of parked more than 3 days. My tires have endured Canadian winters and Florida sun.

That’s my report for what it’s worth.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I had 2003 vintage Goodyears I just took off today with 25,000 miles on them (no I didn't run them this long I just got the coach). Only one of them had any cracking and it was minimal. The inside of the tires looked brand new. If I hadn't looked at the date code I would have no problem continuing to use them.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

I posted in another thread today about my Michelins from the factory. Had small cracks from the outset, and only got worse with time. I only recently found there was a recall for the model and size I have (and others as well) but mine were made 3 weeks before the recall window so no compensation from Michelin.

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/he...calls/ltx.html

Early on I found Michelin had issued a "crack card" showing which cracks were acceptable and which ones weren't. They seemed "acceptable" at the time, but because of health reasons the MH sat mostly undriven for the past 4-5 years, and when I recently had the tires changed they looked like a jigsaw puzzle on the sidewalls, with a deep crack around the circumference of the tread. I was bit nervous driving to the tire shop, but it was a short ride.

One thing though... what other tire maker has issued a "crack card" and warned not to use UV protectant, or even 303 on their tires?

I bought Toyos btw.

Here's the "crack card":
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crack card.pdf (58.5 KB, 125 views)
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #12

Not a fan of Michelin. When a $1400 set were full of sidewall cracks and bone dry after just 26,000 miles, I swore off them and ain't going back.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
At the beginning of the video it looks like the video starts in an RV storage area based on how tightly they’re parked. Right away I noticed none of the vehicles had tire covers. Just an observation.

I’m on my second set of tires because of years of age, not cracks. First set were Goodyear, this set are Michelin.

I never saw nor see cracks on my tires. I use tire cleaner on them, but religiously I use my tire covers of parked more than 3 days. My tires have endured Canadian winters and Florida sun.

That’s my report for what it’s worth.
You are right no ones uses covers and only the Michelins have cracks. Go figure.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
Here is a video of what my 4 1/2 year old Michelin tires look like. And they only have 18,400 miles on them. I also check all the rv's that park were I do. And all of the RV's with Michelin tires had cracks in them. There were GoodYears and Sumo's that were way older with no cracks.

My Michelin’s were made 21/14 and show no visible cracks, they are 275 R-80 22.5. We do store the coach in our garage. Our traveling partner has the same tires with a 2014 build, he stores outside with no covers and he has sidewall cracking. Regards

Tags
tires