Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
michelin tires cracked dob 2009

my orignal michlin 245x19.5 xrv cracked I thought due to age 2003 dob I change them for the same thing in 2010 and now 2012, 10k miles they have all cracked and back to the dealer and he is replacing them free but not the xrv but with the 16ply michlin, so that good news.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I wonder if any environmental (chemical) pollution could be an issue? Ozone attacks rubber. Do you have any chemical plants near where you park the RV? I know WV has a lot of them. Do you use wheel covers?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my tires are coveed except when underwas and I use 303
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
my orignal michlin 245x19.5 xrv cracked I thought due to age 2003 dob I change them for the same thing in 2010 and now 2012, 10k miles they have all cracked and back to the dealer and he is replacing them free but not the xrv but with the 16ply michlin, so that good news.
People I have talked to say a crazing is common with Michelin. Are they really cracked deeply or hair sized cracked. Did you use dressing on the tirres and were they under or over inflated?
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had the same problem with Michelin tires on my last MH. Severe cracks in three years. The MH was used a lot and tires always had 100# of air. As far as I am concerned Michelin tires are way overrated. I would never spend the extra money for them again.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Had the same problem with Michelin tires on my last MH. Severe cracks in three years. The MH was used a lot and tires always had 100# of air. As far as I am concerned Michelin tires are way overrated. I would never spend the extra money for them again.
I agree with the early cracking problems as mine are doing the same thing. However, my experience is that Michelin is an excellent tire in reagrds to performance and tread wear.

I spoke with two Michelin dealers and Michelin customer service regarding cracking on my tires and neither was concerned with the cracking at this point. Does not make me really comfortable but I am going with the three reccomendations to keep running them until the cracking gets worse.
roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Per Michelin:
Quote:
"If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep the tire is fine to run. Between 1/32" and 2/32" the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer. If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32" (1/16") the tire should be replaced immediately"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
my tires are coveed except when underwas and I use 303
I've read several times on different RV forums that 303 was bad for tires.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roady View Post
I agree with the early cracking problems as mine are doing the same thing. However, my experience is that Michelin is an excellent tire in reagrds to performance and tread wear.

I spoke with two Michelin dealers and Michelin customer service regarding cracking on my tires and neither was concerned with the cracking at this point. Does not make me really comfortable but I am going with the three reccomendations to keep running them until the cracking gets worse.
When the tire manufacturer puts out a paper explaining how much cracking is acceptable, I take note. When its my life, ZERO cracking is the only amount of cracking I will accept. Michlein has also put out a recall on some of the Goodyears that they also manufacter.
For me Michlein is not acceptable I have had tread seperation issues with Michleins on a car. I wouldn't trust them on a Motohome.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Michelin XRV's on my old coach ~7 years and never a problem and no cracking whatsoever. Never covered, no protective chemicals, no nothing. Just checked the pressure (85 psi) when traveling - and seldom added air.

Looking for set for my newer coach and likely will go with them again.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck: Goodyear not part of Michelin.. and both sets of my G670 RV's have held up well without cracking...

Michelin tire recall Friday, 27 Jul 2012, 2:39 PM EDT

"CNN - Michelin North America, Inc., announced Thursday it is voluntarily recalling about 841,000 of its BFGoodrich and Uniroyal tires because tread-belt separation may cause them to lose tread and/or deflate quickly."

(made me look though...)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My xrv 235/80/22.5 only got 18000 miles on them severe cracking,0 crack depht is my guide so 3500.00 $ later now the proud owner of the 2nd set,no choice the only tire size that can be installed without rubbing,spacers are not an option,Ford conned us in using this poor grade of tire
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your problems. We replaced our 7 1/2 year old Michelins that they told us might go 10 years with the same as no one else makes a tire that would fit. Sure hope we get lucky again. We put nothing on our tires just cover and try to exercise monthly to get the emolents thru the tires.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan
Chuck: Goodyear not part of Michelin.. and both sets of my G670 RV's have held up well without cracking...

Michelin tire recall Friday, 27 Jul 2012, 2:39 PM EDT

"CNN - Michelin North America, Inc., announced Thursday it is voluntarily recalling about 841,000 of its BFGoodrich and Uniroyal tires because tread-belt separation may cause them to lose tread and/or deflate quickly."

(made me look though...)
Ops, my mistake, sorry.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires