Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #15

I put Toyo on the gasser that took the 19.5 tires. Now we have a DP and I just put Toyo 22.5 on it. Have put 25400 so far on them and in my opion they ride great.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got a price for two Hancock AH12 tires for steer axle size 275/70R22.5 including mounting, balancing and tax out the door for $890.00. Same size Goodyear 670 best price I could get was $1425.00. Goodyear was in stock but l am willing to wait 3-5 days for Hancock.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
I put Toyo M154's on my coach 25,000 miles ago and have no complaints. They don't lose air, ride well and show no cracking. They still look almost new after 5 years. And they were much less then the Michelin's.
2017 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:51 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
And once more I say Michelins are way over rated and over priced.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #19

I wish I had replaced my Toyo with Toyo and not Samson. The Samson ride hard but seem to handle well.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Just didn't want IASM to scare everyone about Toyo's. The M154 is an all steel radial. And they're $100.00 per tire less than Michelins.

Regards, Howard
I didn't want to imply anything bad about toyos only that most manufactures including Michelin have both styles of construction and usually the polyester belt tires will be cheaper. My preference if running any weight at all is an all steel tire which is made by most manufactures but will cost a little more. I like folks to be informed.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #21

Does anyone know the direct replacement for Michelin 235x80-22.5 xrv tires!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gmann55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:41 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
Does anyone know the direct replacement for Michelin 235x80-22.5 xrv tires!
245/75/22.5 are the same in diameter.

275/70/22.5 are 1/2" larger in diameter and can handle more weight with less PSI. Then either of the above sizes.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Finally got my Toyo tires to replace the michlien 235x80-22.5 xrv.
Cost to install the 6 tires was $2000 to include trashing the old tires.

My first impressions of the tires are as follows:
The transmission of noise from things like tar strips, reflectors etc are less noticeable than the XRV.
At 45 MPH the tires do whine and the ERV did not
The ride seems softer and less positive than the XRV
There is more drifting than the XRV, requiring more correction in steering.
The MH follows the road contours more than the XRV
The tire Smell unlike the XRV

So far I am unimpressed with the tire but will reserve final judgement until I travel for a few days and pull a loaded trailer
Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We put on the 154'S and love them.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I would also say NO ISSUES WITH TOYO.

I bought the 40ft American Eagle RV about a year ago with TOYO's on it.
We have put about 10,000 miles on the tires in the last year with NO issues.
The tires are about four years old judging by the dates. However since I just bought the RV, I have no idea of the total miles since I did not put them on.
They look almost new with no odd wear pattern.

best of luck === Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I spoke with the factory folks and they really do not go after the MH market for what ever reason. The do however support the RV and MH markets in areas outside the US. My guess is the had some legal problems a long time ago with Allure MH and decided to not specify tire for RV MH.
Toyo tires used to be very popular with many of the manufacturers in the Oregon area. My Beaver was originally equipped with Toyo tires. I really wanted to replace my Toyos with new ones, but that was right in the middle of the "blowup" between Country Coach and Toyo.

Around 2007 there were a number of Country Coach rigs with serious blow-out failures. It seemed to track back to undersized tires being installed on new units around the 2005 to 2007 time frame. Toyo claimed that Country Coach gave them the wrong specs for the tire requirements and Country Coach claimed that Toyo tires were the source of the problem.

Toyo reacted by completely shutting down any support for RV use of their tires. They specifically indicated that any warranty was void if used on any recreational vehicle. Around 2007 Toyo also dropped all production of size 275/70R22.5 truck tires (which was the size I needed) since this was the size of the tires that were spec'ed for the Country Coach models with the blow-out problems. I don't know if they have returned to making this size of tire as I switched to Michelin tires and am happy with them.

When they were courting the RV market, Toyo's had great brand recognition and a lot of folks on this and other forums could not be happier with their Toyos. That was why I really wanted to replace mine with the same brand.

But, the Country Coach experience was apparently a bitter enough experience that Toyo has never been interested in returning to the RV market. For those who are considering using Toyos, I would just make sure that the size you are considering still carries the normal truck tire warranty if used on a recreational vehicle.

I still think Toyo makes one heck of a quality product and would seriously look at their brand if they have a size that fits my rig.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I Despise Goodyears

Here's my story. I have used Michelin for years on our passenger cars and my pickup. Never had any success with Goodyear. We bought our Bounder last February and had Goodyear crap on it. Little did I know that they were over 10 years old. The tread look great. On our first trip out we made 200 miles before the first one blew. Sidewall went on the inner right rear. No problem the tire shop at the truck stop had a used same size Goodyear and put it on. It lasted 300 miles before it blew. Again the sidewall went. This time the emergency service man cautioned me that the rest of the tires were going to go at any time. Well, less than 50 miles later, blooey, Left inner rear sidewall. Shut down in the Vero Beach area and now looking for 6 replacements. We were blessed in that we had no damage from the 3 blow outs. Found a real trucking tire service center and they had 5 Michelins that would fit or 6 Toyo's, my option. I opted for the Toyo's because I didn't want to mix the off breed replacement I put on after blowout #2 and I'm glad I did. (Note the Off Breed tire is my $500 spare) We have put over 6k miles on them and they ride great. I would have gone with the Michelins had there been 6 available given my past experience with the brand. But the Toyo's, made right where I live, have held up real nice during our summer trip and believe me we took some pretty interesting roads on the way. Personally I don't think you can go wrong either way. Just be sure to get quality tires because replacing blow out damage can be very expensive.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #28

Just an observation. Many of these posts are nice to read, but due to lack of specifics on the model of the tire, not very helpful for others researching. I encourage anyone posting about tires, to include to just the brand, but the specific model too...

I was in an RV Park 5-6 months ago, and 4-5 of us got together to shoot the breeze about RV's in general. One gent said he was very disappointed in his Continental tires. That surprised a few of us, as Continental has had a few good models for for RV and Bus duty. We all took a hike over to his rig, and were looking at his tire, to see what the model was (he could not remember). Well, they were trailer position tires. Just a quick look at the Continental site showed they were not recommended for Steers or All Positions, only Trailer.... And, one of the guys asked him what pressure he was running, and he said the pressure on the side of the tire...

So, when reading posts about tires, the devil is in the details. And even then with say the detail of the specific model, no assurances that they are properly balanced, or running the right PSI, or that the rig does not have other suspension problems - that could make a 'get in and drive' kind of owner feel that 'these tires are no good'.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking threads on tires. I feel the more we all share with each other, the better chance we have to let others know of problems with specific brands or models within brands. But, also need to use some common sense too, and if you read one post that seems to not quite fit the normal trend, ask a few qualifying questions...

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires