Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

OH!! The XRV Michelin has 0 warranty on sidewall cracks that they will probably get.
BUT when you trade your rig in, you will lose $2500 for the sidewall cracks. The dealers can't resell your rig with the cracks, no matter that Michelin says they are not a problem...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #30

I was pleased with my original Michelin XRV tires. At 9 years I had no problems but started to replace them and did the front 2 first with the same as the originals. At 18 months a defect, at least to me, showed on the side on one tire. I stopped at 3 Michelin dealers and all said I would have no luck with them replacing it. They all said Michelin will say " they don't make defective tires" and will not replace it.
I took it to Michelin dealer at home and they said the same thing but removed the tire and could not determine why the problem occurred. Michelin requested the tire be sent in and after having it 6 months, returned it and say they would not replace it, no reason was given. I was disappointed after hearing this from so many dealers. I have since bought Toyo's and as others have indicated, I am very pleased with them.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just read several comments on another thread by people who had Toyo tires on their motorhomes and they said the tires smelled like a barnyard.

Have any of you noticed a bad smell on the Toyo tires?
Old 12-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #32

Yes, they are correct. I noticed the smell when got them in the spring. The smell was like manure on a farm but not nearly as bad as the real thing. They were installed at the end of a trip. The RV sat for the summer then we went on a 4 week trip in October. I almost never noticed it then, my Wife didn't notice it at all. We did drive in rain all day for a couple of days, maybe that washed some of the cause of the smell off , I can't say. We did sit outside quite often and within a few feet of the tires and didn't notice the smell. But I am still pleased with the tires and the great price from Simple Tire.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Michelin versus Toyo Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post

OH!! The XRV Michelin has 0 warranty on sidewall cracks that they will probably get.

Wrong.

Michelin sent me a check for $2500 on almost 5 year old tires with minor cosmetic cracking due to petroleum based tire shine applied and sun exposure combined by previous owner.

Love my Michelin XRV's and the outstanding Michelin customer service.

Cheers.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:22 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
My coach (used) came with Bridgestone tires on it. I've been very pleased with their ride and performance.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #35

Installed Toyo 265/75R-22.5/14 M-154 HIGHWAY last year. So far no complaints. Good ride and handling. No smell
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Just an observation. Many of these posts are nice to read, but due to lack of specifics on the model of the tire, not very helpful for others researching. I encourage anyone posting about tires, to include to just the brand, but the specific model too...

I was in an RV Park 5-6 months ago, and 4-5 of us got together to shoot the breeze about RV's in general. One gent said he was very disappointed in his Continental tires. That surprised a few of us, as Continental has had a few good models for for RV and Bus duty. We all took a hike over to his rig, and were looking at his tire, to see what the model was (he could not remember). Well, they were trailer position tires. Just a quick look at the Continental site showed they were not recommended for Steers or All Positions, only Trailer.... And, one of the guys asked him what pressure he was running, and he said the pressure on the side of the tire...

So, when reading posts about tires, the devil is in the details. And even then with say the detail of the specific model, no assurances that they are properly balanced, or running the right PSI, or that the rig does not have other suspension problems - that could make a 'get in and drive' kind of owner feel that 'these tires are no good'.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking threads on tires. I feel the more we all share with each other, the better chance we have to let others know of problems with specific brands or models within brands. But, also need to use some common sense too, and if you read one post that seems to not quite fit the normal trend, ask a few qualifying questions...

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
X that
Old 12-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Michelin replaced my 4 yr 9 month old 295-80-22.5 XZA 2's because of VERY small sidewall cracks under warrantee. I think the warrantee is 5 years on sidewall cracks. They prorated them on tread depth, front tires had used 5 32nd" and all 6 rear had used 4 32nd". I think the new tires cost me $180 each and the fronts cost me $200 each. Dismount and mount was paid by Michelin. You need to go to a Michelin owned Company store not just a retailer. Call Michelin Customer Service first to get a ticket # and they will tell you where company stores are located to have them checked. Michelin treated me like a king and called me to make sure all went well. I used Dyna Beads to balance all 8 tires, I stood there and watched as they were mounted and installed the Dyna Beads myself.
Michelin will warrantee tires by prorated tread depth because of liability. New tires were only 3 months old when mounted........

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Just an observation. Many of these posts are nice to read, but due to lack of specifics on the model of the tire, not very helpful for others researching. I encourage anyone posting about tires, to include not just the brand, but the specific model too...

Don't get me wrong, not knocking threads on tires. I feel the more we all share with each other, the better chance we have to let others know of problems with specific brands or models within brands. But, also need to use some common sense too, and if you read one post that seems to not quite fit the normal trend, ask a few qualifying questions...
Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77
All 6 of the 9R22.5 Michelin XZE tires, with a DOT date code of 1611, (April 2011), where so badly sidewall cracked that they had to be replaced in Nov. of 2014...(Michelin's decision not mine).
BTW, I treated those 6 Michelins no differently than the 2 previous sets of Goodyear 9R22.5 G159 tires used on my coach, (which lasted over 7 years each with out a problem).
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Old 12-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #39

Back to the OP's question.
The Michelin XRV 305/70R/22.5 is a very specific size for RV's that need a lot of weight carrying capability on the front axle.
My Newmar Mountain Aire also requires this same tire and weight carrying ability.
I did not know that Toyo had come out with a tire that is rated the same. I look forward to hearing feedback on the tire as it will surely get used with the cost of the Michelin's!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I know there has been discussion before on this subject but a dealer told me today that the Michelin XRV 305/70R/22.5 were getting to be very hard to find and they were recommending a Toyo equivalent.

What is your knowledge about this subject. Michelin has the name and reputation and we have had good luck with them, but is Toyo just as good at about 1/2 the price?

Don
My rig came with Michelin tires.

A recall gave me six new free Toyo tires.

I next replaced the Toyo with Bridgestones. (Long Story)

I just installed six new Toyo.

Fourteen years and 72,000 miles of ownership.

All the above tires did not call attention to themselves. Except for one leaking tire valve, I have had no ride or inflation or tread issues.

Maybe our Gillig Bus Chassis just compensates nicely for these crappy Non-Michelin tires!!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
235/80R22.5 vs. 275/70R22.5

I recently picked up a 2002 Tiffin Phaeton 38OH which originally had Michelin 235/80R22.5 tires. The previous owner went to Toyo 275/70R22.5. I haven't driven much on then thus far, but they seem to be ok...except they are now 6+ years old and I need to replace them. I'm assuming the previous owner wanted tires with a greater load capacity? Aren't these a little oversized? Any recommendations on which way I should go (Michelin 235/80R22.5, Toyo 245/75R22.5, or stay with Toyo 275/70R22.5)?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anything but Michelins.

Tags
tires