Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
...Another twist - the Hankooks use balancing beads inside the tires vs. a spin balance. I don't know if this is a plus or minus.
The balancing beads were used ONLY because the installer of your Hancocks did NOT have spin balance equipment for your size wheel. Unlike tire shops for car-size tires, not every tire shop that can install these larger wheel/tire combinations has spin balance equipment - hence they will throw a bag of beads inside the tire. Typically you need to use a really large truck tire place and then must ask if they have spin equipment if you want them spin balanced.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
I sell Michelins and they far better than Hankooks yes it worth the extra money and peace of mind.
Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4fun View Post
You get what you pay for.
That's not always true. Especially if you have to deal with Michelin's CS.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Always amazed that people still ask this type of question..
Old 11-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #18

If everybody used the "Search" function, this place would be almost dead, except for the WM, Killer and Off-topic thread.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Ditto on you get what you pay for. Do you trust your life on tires made
in South Korea ?
Quote from Wikipedia. Michelin produces tyres in France, Spain, Germany, the USA, the UK, Canada, Brazil, Thailand, Japan, Italy and several other countries. On 15 January 2010, Michelin announced the closing of its Ota, Japan plant, which employs 380 workers and makes the Michelin X-Ice tyre. Production of the X-Ice will be moved to Europe, North America, and elsewhere in Asia.
Do you know where your tires were manufactured?
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have had Hankooks on several cars for tens of thousands of miles without a problem.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #21

i have been useing Mich for years. when i started using them when they were made in france.
most cars wear out their tires. most RV's time out their tires.
therefore, i don't think Mich's are worth the extra money on RV's
JMO
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Anything but Michilin

Have always used Michilin tires since I was always told the were the best. When I bought my 2009 Motorhome they came with Michilin 22.5" installed at the factory. At that time I owned two cars and was responsible for three others which I installed Michilin on. After two months ownership and 500 miles the a rear inside tire blew the sidewall out wall sitting in storage. Michilin offered e 25% credit on a "new" tire cause they had a date code that was two years old. Michilin lost a good customer, I'm down to one car that has not had their tires swapped out yet and am looking forward to that changeout the first of the year. Whenever I can I put my money where my mouth is. and will attempt to never put another dime of my hard earned money into their troffers.
FWIW
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #23

Put 4 Goodyear 265-75-22.5 G670 RV this fall. Bought off ebay from Eastcoast tires. Com. 425 each delivered to me. Will shop with them again. Number/date was 2911.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjlunda View Post
...Bought off ebay from Eastcoast tires....
How did you handle installation? Any issues bringing your own tires to the shop?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #25

Michelin Tires

I've probably posted this before, but this time, I'm saving it a word document for the next time the Michelin debated comes up.

When I bought my `65 GTO, it came with Michelin's; no problem. They came on my `94 Dodge Ram pickup. Again no problems so I put them on my `97 Dodge Ram pickup.

This is where my problems started. I don't remember the mileage, but I only used the truck to tow my 5er to the dunes about 10 times a year for about 4000 miles/year at most. They were maybe two years old when one blew and damaged the right side of the bed and exhaust pipe. The side of the bed had to be replaced.

I let Discount Tire send the carcass to Michelin and Janet Stevens claimed the tire was "Run Flat" and sent me a stack of photos showing what a "Run Flat" tire looked like. I check my tires religiously before every trip. I had to pay my $1000 deductible. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and kept the Michelin's.

It was maybe two years later when the right side tire blew again and took out the side of the bed and mangled the exhaust so bad that I had to use a crowbar to straighten it so the engine would run halfway right.

A "Run Flat" tire does not go Kaboom with 80 PSI and do the damage that both of these tires did. Both tires blew without warning.

This time, I had an accident reconstruction company evaluate the tire. They put the blame on a defective Michelin tire and Michelin paid my $1000 deductible. I was out the new tire warranty cost and installation of a new tire.

When I got home, I told Discount Tire to take every Michelin tire off of my truck, including the spare. I replaced them with Goodyear Silent Armor and never had another tire problem. The rear Goodyear's are now almost wore out.

If Janet Stevens wasn't such a bean counter trying to impress her boss, I might still be a loyal customer. The only way a Michelin will ever be under any of my vehicles is if I drive over part of another one that was "Run Flat". As always YMMV.

I got what I paid for and it didn't feel good.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Michelin and Double Coin made the same tires in the same plant in China up till about 5 years ago...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never owned a Michelin that wasn't already on the vehicle. I can only think of one failure in my almost 40 years of driving, and that was a Good Year that did no damage.

One person sells them and says they're the best, others say you get what you pay for, still others won't buy anything made in those horrible Asian countries. The money I've saved by not following those bits of advise is in my pocket and feels pretty good.

As stated by one here, most of us don't wear out tires, they time out. That's good advise in my book.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #28

I have Michelins made in Spain as my steer tires. They were made in 2007 and already show small cracks. Last spring I replaced four drive tire Michelins made in the USA on their sixth birthday, no cracks. My point, it does make a difference where the tires are made. If the Michelins you are thinking of buying were made in the US I would be tempted to pay the 25% more for them. If last spring the FMCA deal had been around and I could have bought Michelin for 25% more I likely would have done it.

I have heard nothing but good comments about Hankook. They are made in S Korea. Lincoln sells them as an upgrade on their cars.

When I can I buy things made in the USA as we need to keep as many of our friends and neighbors working as possible.

IMHO like a lot of things that have been around for many decades they are pretty flawless today. Tires are one of those items. I think there are lots of tire makers that put out a good product today.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote