Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
i have been useing Mich for years. when i started using them when they were made in france.
most cars wear out their tires. most RV's time out their tires.
therefore, i don't think Mich's are worth the extra money on RV's
JMO
Uhh..
Quote:
Michelin has been a part of the tire industry in the United States since 1907 when it purchased the International Rubber Company in Milltown, New Jersey. Tires and tubes were manufactured there up until 1930 when the Great Depression took its toll on what had become the fourth largest tire manufacturer in the country with 2,000 employees. The Michelin North America as we know it today took form In March of 1950.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #30

I wouldn't put it past china to skimp on the materials needed to make products to the specs called for by the manuf.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I try to buy as little stuff as I can that was made in China. With them selling everything from contamined pet food products, toxic paint for cribs and toxic sheet rock that cost American millions in damages, I try to avoid any of their products whenever possible. I don't like to spend extra money any more than the next guy. However, I want a quality product that I feel I can depend on and will keep the money in America. I have Michelins on my coach and when it's time to renew it will get a new set of Michelins or other made in America tires such a Bridgestone. Just MHO and my 2 cents worth.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I have Michelins on my coach and when it's time to renew it will get a new set of Michelins or other made in America tires such a Bridgestone. Just MHO and my 2 cents worth.
Now... you're just being sarcastic.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting thread - diametrically opposed opinions! Every tire brand thread I have ever seen was the same - half the people love 'em, the other half hate them.

You may be interested to learn that Michelin and Hankook have been strategic partners (whatever that means) since 2003. Seems to suggest that Michelin has a good opinion of Hankook, at least corporate-wise.

FWIW, I replaced Goodyears with Continentals at a savings of $200/tire vs either GY or Michelin. I'm happy with them.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Every situation is different, if you are a fulltimer, spent the extra money on michelin, if you are not a fulltimer why spent the money and let your rv set in your drive way an collect ultra vilolet rays and deteriate. This is my opinion and my opinion only. But before you buy any tire check the date code, that is the most important thing.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #35

Prior MH had Michelin, This coach had Goodyear. After 3,000 miles, swapped the steer tires to Michelin and beleive me I can tell a big difference. Ride increased in smoothness and noise went way down.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
By the way have summitumo tires on my rv, i paid 1800 dollars with equal in the tires. My michelins lasted only 6 years and i keep my tires covered and only use 303 protectant on them. No petroleum products allowed on my tires.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:06 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
All tires meet or pass USDOT specs.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 AM   #38

Michelin vs Hankook

Thanks for all of the input. My shopping will continue adding the Bridgestone R250 to the mix. I have plenty of time as I will not be purchasing until early spring. So far the several dealers I spoke with assure me the tires they sell will not be over a year old. Is purchasing a tire that is 12 months old acceptable? Should I demand for something newer?
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
It's a mystery to me how anyone can tell the difference in ride quality of different tires. You would have to put one brand on the MH, drive it around for a few miles then switch tires and repeat the procedure. I've had Michelins, Bridgestones and Goodyears. I couldn't tell a nickels worth of difference.

Jim E
Exactly my thoughts also
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
Ditto on you get what you pay for. Do you trust your life on tires made
in South Korea ?
Hankook also has a plant in the U.S.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #41

Do you, and I, and everyone trust their lives to things made outside the USA?

Hmm.. Do you really need an answer given all the hospital devices, life support machines, vehicle control systems, elevator parts, probably your CPAP, pacemaker, etc. etc. that are made (all or in some part) OUTSIDE the USA???

Quality is NOT dictated by WHERE stuff is made but by the BRAND that stands by the finished product. Use the BRAND that YOU believe most fulfills your needs/beliefs.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #42

The question that has been asked - how can you tell the difference?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
It's a mystery to me how anyone can tell the difference in ride quality of different tires. You would have to put one brand on the MH, drive it around for a few miles then switch tires and repeat the procedure. I've had Michelins, Bridgestones and Goodyears. I couldn't tell a nickels worth of difference.

Jim E
Well, I replaced all my G670s with XZA2 Energy tires. I went with 315s on the front because I wanted the extra plies, and 295s on the drive and tag. Yes I paid more than I might have with other brands (paid about $550 a tire on average). I also put balancers on the tag and drive.

I can't compare them to the Hankook tires, but I can to the G670s. Surprising degree of difference. Smoother, quieter, and easier to drive especially on some bad sections through Spokane and the Snoqualie that I drive every year. Used to hate that road, this year it was no big deal.

Like many others, I try to avoid buying anything Chinese that I can, especially if my health depends on it. Korea is different, they do make many excellent products, but they don't compete fairly with North America, so I tend to not buy Korean if I can.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote