Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Michelin vs Hankook

Pricing out tires 275/70 22.5 . I now have Goodyear G670s that I have not even priced out yet and I may not. I did look at the Michelin XZAZ qouted at 531.00 which includes the FMCA discount. The other was the AH-12 Hankook quoted at 420.00. My question is this, is the Michelin that much better to warrant the extra money? Always have used Michelins on my passenger vehicles and have been happy. Will the Michelins ride better than the Hankooks, Bridgestones, etc? Any input would be greatly apreciated.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
I sell Michelins and they far better than Hankooks yes it worth the extra money and peace of mind.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good question, but I don't know the answer.
Here are my experiences:
I've had good luck with the 19.5" Hankook AH-12 on my RV. My oldest 2 tires are 2006 with about 15,000 miles - even wear and no age/sidewall cracks. 7 Hankooks without a problem (oldest recently became the spare). I do run lightly loaded at about 13,500 lbs.
I had Michelins on my 1992 Cadillac (5,500 lbs) and they were excellent for 60,000+ miles. 4 Michelins without a problem.
Another twist - the Hankooks use balancing beads inside the tires vs. a spin balance. I don't know if this is a plus or minus.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
just bought a six Hankook's for my 2003 Winnegabo on the advise of several people that said they had great luck with them...also, far less expensive then the Good year's and Michilin's. I was quoted $380 per tire and 35 to install for the Goodyears and $580 for the Michilins. Fount a great Ford Dealership by my house in Corona and the sold me the Hankook's for $330 a piece and 21 dollar for mounting per Tire. Also had the Serpentine belt replaced and Oil, Air filter and oil change along with a lube job....Good luck in your quest.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #5

michilin versus hanhook

I drove truck on the hiway for a living. at one time I put a set of hankooks on the steer axle. was the worst experience. I turned them back in and put on michelin,s. yu would not believe the difference. no more hankook,s for me. just my opinion Doug
fulltimeraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced all of mine with Hankooks also the price was right and I hear a lot of positive feedback beforehand.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You get what you pay for.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #8

The Amish ride on steel wheels and wouldn't have anything else.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #9

It's a mystery to me how anyone can tell the difference in ride quality of different tires. You would have to put one brand on the MH, drive it around for a few miles then switch tires and repeat the procedure. I've had Michelins, Bridgestones and Goodyears. I couldn't tell a nickels worth of difference.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #10

Pairajays, folks can feel differences in tires...I am 1 who can
and can say I have never had any issues with any Michelin tire. I can not say anything about Hankook, due to never owning any
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Pairajays, folks can feel differences in tires...I am 1 who can
and can say I have never had any issues with any Michelin tire. I can not say anything about Hankook, due to never owning any
I've never had an "issue" with Michelin, Bridgestone or Goodyear.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Class C had Hankooks on the steering axle, Drove them 28000 miles before I traded the rig, trouble free.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ditto on you get what you pay for. Do you trust your life on tires made
in South Korea ?
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put a set of AH11 Hankooks on a year ago with Magnabead balancing. One canyon trip and about 8,000 miles later so far so good. Replaced Goodyears, holding air well and wear is fine. If I replace tires ever 6 years I can budget $250 a year' for tires. I'm just not going to stretch any tire past 7 years. RV'ers just don't mile up their rigs. The dealer I purchased from (30 plus years) runs Sumos on his wreckers, etc and recommended them but I opted for the AH11's as they were a ply higher in rating.