Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
Michelin VS TOYO

We are new to this forum. We purchased a used 2003 National Dolphin 6342 LX and are trying to decide on Tires. I noticed that back in 2005 a thread was posted with regard to this subject. I can't find any recent reviews. We were quoted a price of $2930 for a set of Michelin 235/80R/22.5 tires installed. This includes balancing of each tire. This is offered with a discount thru the FMCA. Our local tire shop (Les Schawb) is asking $599 per tire for the same Michelin (399.00) thru FMNA. The Les Schwab guy suggested the TOYOS to us as well. He said they ride a little stiffer but do a much better job of carrying the weight. He also stated that they have a 6 year warranty from the date of installation. He said he will order tires and get the freshest ones and they should be about a year old. What do you all suggest? They Toyos run about 269.00 per tire. Plus the cost of balance and new valve stems. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

dsjones57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
I just put Toyos on my 05 W22 Pace Arrow back in April and saved $1500 on 6 tires. I have made one long trip so far this summer with numerous 200mile round trips. My Coach had the original Michilens from late 04 on it. I thought the tires rode with a little softer feel. My steering seems a little looser to the feel , turns easier. Now not sure if its the tires or not since I put the tires on right out of storage but it tends to wander more on some roads but overall I like them and dont regret the change from Michilens

Paul & Kim Carillon
2005 Pace Arrow 37C
8.1 w/Allison
PCarillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Replaced Michelins with Toyo

Just went through the same decision process. Went with Toyos...2300.00 for 6 mounted, balanced, and lose the old tires. Michelins were only 5 years old but severe sidewall cracking merited replacement. They were BAD bad cracks and I was most disappointed.
I think maybe (?) the new Toyos ride a touch softer but it may be all in my head. Handles exactly as before and we are well pleased. Tires are 265/75R22.5 for the Toyos. Michelins were between 2000 and 2500 higher depending on who you asked...and this included FMCA discount @ 510.00 per tire.
I'd happily go with Toyos again.
2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37T DP
Cat 3126B
Towing 2001 Saturn SL2
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced original Michelin's with Toyo's (thru Les Schwab) 4 years ago. I saved about $1300 at the time and the tires still look new. No problems with the Toyo's and Les Schwab has been great to work with.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
I replaced Michelins with Toyos for a significantly lower price. Now three years later they're still running just fine. They don't feel inordinately harder.
CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced my steer tires with Tokyo m154 and I feel they carry the coach better than the michelin and ride better. My michelin were 230/80/22.5 and the Toyo replacements are 245/75/22.5. I mount my own tires and I found the toyo to b a much heavier built with a much more rugged sidewall. When I need tires in the rear they will be toyo.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had M154 Toyo 245/75/22.5 tires put on my 04 W22 Workhorse chassis four years ago. IMHO the MH handles better than before but we are compairing old tire to new ones. Do not over inflate then. use the recomended presure for the axle capasity. I run 85# all the way around and some people 90#. The Toyo's are a very heavy and heavy duty tire.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
your tire guy is steering you toward toyo cause he makes more money on them. look at the side wall of any tire you want to buy it will tell you where it is made. even some michelins are made in china, also goodyear and others if the tire you like is made here the price will be about the same for same type tire. i was a p owner operator of big trucks for 35 years i bought alot of tires never bought any made in china or korea. i put on a new set of tires every year right at 110000 miles 22 tires always new no retreads. been retired now for 8 years but i had my best luck with firestone and bridgestone. again check the sidewall for the country of origin and date codes. just my 2 cents
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
I have done a lot of research on this topic and have heard good things about Hankook and Sumitomo tires also. They are worth a look. I am looking at moving to Sumitomos from Goodyears.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K
jpspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #10
I have to agree that I feel our tire guy, and Les Schwab in general - are going for profits. (Even after I told the LS Tire Professional what I was looking for in replacement tires (Better ride and Higher Efficiency then my current set.). First recommendations were for Toyo's. (Toyo makes a good tire, but the Toyo's in my size, were a harder riding truck tire, and substantially less rolling efficiency.

Regardless of the tire you end up with, make sure your LS understand that you want all tires to be under 6 months of age per the DOT date of manufacturing on the tire. (DO NOT BUY their standard line, that 'tires don't age in the warehouse' and or 'your warranty is based upon in service date'. RV tires are typically replaced by age, not wearing out. And if you go to see the RV for some reason, a prospective buyer will be looking at the date stamped on the tire, and will careless about the in service date.)

You don't mention your size, but here are some tires to consider:

> Michelin XZA3 and XZA2 (Good riding, and Higher Efficiency tires. And the FMCA discount brings the price down!)
> BF Goodrich ST230 (Made by Michelin, so you still get the FMCA discount. Respected good bang for the buck tire.)
> Hankook AH11/AH12 (Lower cost, and many happy owners of these tires. This will probably be the lowest cost of any of the above tires.)

I'll stop here. But suggest you get what you feel is the highest quality tire available, save money elsewhere. As those little patches of rubber, are all that allows your coach to go forward, turn and stop.

And, post number 2, welcome to the gang!

Finally, opinions will vary!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
I purchased Double Coin tires for our Pace Arrow earlier this year from a Les Schwab store. The tires we replaced were 10 year old Double Coins and they still looked almost as good as a new tire with no sidewall cracking. I obviously have no issues with them being made in China, and feel perfectly safe driving my family around on them. I know some folks on here will totally disagree with that statement, but to each their own. I asked about their Toyo tires and they were about $75 more per tire if I recall, and I may have purchased them, but I was under a time crunch and he couldn't get them for me soon enough, so I stayed with the DC's. The Les Schwab tire guy did say he's had good results with the Double Coin tires and recommended them if I couldn't wait for the Toyos. Have driven 2500 miles so far with them and they drive well. You certainly can't go wrong in my opinion with the Toyos, and I'm just throwing out the Double Coins as something to consider because that's what I purchased from Les Schwab and have had a good experience with them.

I would tell the tire store regardless of what type or whom you purchase your tires from that you will not accept any tire that is more then 6 months old, and that's non negotiable unless they start giving you a substantial discount (I'm thinking 20% if they are a year old). Unless you plan on driving a ton of miles they will age out before you wear them out!

Good luck with your purchase, and let us know what you decide!

1998 Fleetwood: Pace Arrow Vision 36B (Chevy 454)
1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision
"Fly Navy ... The Best Always Have!"
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
I've had Toyo tires on two motorhomes and I have no reservation about recommending them. Currently we have 20,000 miles on a set of M154s. I would buy them again. BTW Toyo was the OEM tire for our coach from the factory.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #13
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I purchased six Toyo tires M-154 3 years ago for my coach. I have 47,000 miles on these tires and they still look good. No cracks and hard to see any ware. All my Toyo tires were made in Japan, not China.
inkaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #14
There is no comparison. Toyo tires are superior to Michelins. Have had both and I feel so much more secure with the M-154 Toyo's. Good ride, wear even across the tread. I balance my tires with Equal bags and I also have the filtered valve stems installed.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 38'
Neway Freightliner chassis, 2016 GMC Terrain toad
3126-E Caterpillar 330 hp
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote