Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Why are you in such a hurry? Are there signs of dry rot or something? Ya, almost 7 years, but only 18.5K... Were they left outside for the entire time or do you store it inside?
This how they are warranted.
WHEN DOES THE G670 RV
WARRANTY END?
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends
when the treadwear indicators become visible
or five (5) years from the date of purchase,
whichever occurs first. The only exception is
weather cracking, which carries a seven (7) year
warranty from the date of purchase or when
the treadwear indicators become visible,
whichever occurs first. Without proof of
purchase, date of manufacture will be used

to determine eligibility.

I am the second owner and have no idea how they were stored from 2008 - 2012 when I bought her. Since I have had here in Texas (since Aug12) - she has been stored outside, under an awning. Most of the time shaded from the sun. But one side or the other getting some sun occasionally, as I have changed parking spaces.

I don't really have a close up of the tire for tread and sidewall inspection purposes - but I have not noted any dry rot per se. What concerns me is not so much what I can see, as what I can't see. And since it's pay me now or pay me later - and Annie and I are riding on them, I think I'm doing what's right for us.

Best pic I have from this summer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	58262

So are you going to wait until your tires have visible dry rot - or the tread is beyond the specs above, or go by date, or just pick a time when it feels right to you. That's really what I'm doing, and suspect others do as well. My tolerance for time and the fear of the unknown is greater than my desire to keep $4k in my bank account. It's going to go to tires sooner or later.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #30

Carolina Campers
I was thinking that a few weeks would not be much more of a concern. Pay now or pay later, pease of mind is a good thing, and I understand that.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
You might consider trying the 275/80R22.5 This is the tire I used on my Dutch Star which had the 275/70s. Vastly improved the ride. Awesome tire!
The 275/70's have a Diameter of 37.6"
The 275/80's have a Diameter of 40.1"
Not very close in size for the odometer or speedometer to be close to actual.

Quote:
How did you decide 10 years was right and not say, 11 or 12 years? Miles? 10 sounds right? You always get 10 years from RV tires?
I decided by some manufactures say, after 10 years may be the time to replace. Non say at 5-6 or 7. And I don't think Good Year would put a 7 year warranty on cracks if they wasn't sure they would last longer then that.
Michelin has 0 day warranty on cracks.

I have never went 10 years before on a set because the last set on the MH had Michelin's XRV 235/80's and I had a rear zipper blow out with them at 4 years 8 months old. And a second zipper front blow out at 6 years 1 month old. Replaced all 6 with the 275/70 G670's at 6 year 9 months old. I saved the newest Michelin tire for a spare but I tossed it when it became 6 years old.

The second reason is, this is the first MH that I have owned over 10 years. And plan for this one to outlast me. Plus at my age another set of tires in 2015 will certainly outlast me, probably if I get another set of G670's.
Next set will not be any Michelin's you can bet on that.

Present tires have 34,648 miles on them and in 2015 when I replace them I probably will have around 39,000. If I have no blow outs before replaced. Guess what I will replace them with, no matter what they cost.

I Full Time so the tires have been outside all the time. They have sat in one place for 7 months(winter spot) a year. During that 7 months they are covered and have 20% more air in them, then what they have using them. They have never been in temperatures below 32º.
Did I say, not the first crack in them yet.

Quote:
Let us know how that works out for you.😱
Do you really think at my age I could remember in May of 2015 where these post are.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #32

Change Tire size

If you are thinking of changing tire sized try this tire size calculator that another forum member posted. Just enter your tire size and the tire size you want to compare, click on calculate. You will get data on several different points as well as a visual tire the tires side by side and an overlay.

275/70-R22.5 vs 275/80-R22.5 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #33

adonh
Did you get your tires? Talked to a neighbor at our new location in Camp Verde. Says your size and mine are still back ordered. I got lucky as some were located in Casa Grande; the only 6 in Arizona at the time.

Triker56
Everyone chooses their own level of risk.
I comfortably got 7 years on all of my sets of tires. No failures on any tires I bought in over 23 years, on 5 rigs, no matter the brand.

Having seen first hand, and sadly too often the damage that old tires can do to an RV, this fits my risk level and gives me less worry.

BTW: When my tires were replaced, I watched. The biggest age indicators were on the inside. Must be why some folks get them dismounted and inspected.

Best wishes.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Date code was 0314.
Rclukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclukey
Date code was 0314.
........For 2 tires Michelin XZA 315/80/22.5 for $586.00 and normal retail is $923.00......
In Florida.
-----------------
Must be, as others suggest, a size thing.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #36

My tolerance for time and the fear of the unknown is greater than my desire to keep $4k in my bank account. It's going to go to tires sooner or later. [/QUOTE]

x2 I'm very apprehensive of the unknown when it comes to tires. In fact my 2010s with 24000 miles are coming off this summer.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
My tolerance for time and the fear of the unknown is greater than my desire to keep $4k in my bank account. It's going to go to tires sooner or later.
x2 I'm very apprehensive of the unknown when it comes to tires. In fact my 2010s with 24000 miles are coming off this summer.[/QUOTE]

I'm certainly not going to tell you to go against your feeling of apprehension concerning tire life. However if your tires were built in '10 and are coming up on their 4th birthday, you certainly early if there are no indicators other than age.

1. Do they look sound externally?
2. Have they been run under inflated?
3. Have they ever sustained a heavy curb hit?

If none of the above, do you use a TPMS? I suggest that if you don't have a TPMS that you might consider investing in one this year and going an additional year or two on your tires.

This is only a suggestion as we all have to be comfortable with our tire replacement schedule.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #38

Steve,

From a purely logical and knowledge based assessment I completely agree with your thoughts. However, after a blowout and 12k in damages on a 6 year old Goodyear a while back I vowed that I would replace all tire @ 48 months. I know that is aggressive but it is my comfort level. I am pretty particular about tire pressure.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbear View Post
Steve, From a purely logical and knowledge based assessment I completely agree with your thoughts. However, after a blowout and 12k in damages on a 6 year old Goodyear a while back I vowed that I would replace all tire @ 48 months. I know that is aggressive but it is my comfort level. I am pretty particular about tire pressure.
I understand your decision 100%. I hope you do run with a TPMS, as mine saved me from a blowout several years ago. I hope I never have that experience. Are you going to use the FMCA Michelin program?

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have been trying to work through a local Michelin dealer here in Houston on a set of 6 Michelin 275/70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Tires. They tell me he has none in stock and Michelin has them on back order and no time lime when they may be available. Any one else having this problem. Thanks
I finally heard back from My Michelin dealer in the the Houston TX area. The Michelin 275/70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Tires are still on back order. But he can get a set of 6 Michelin XZE2+ 275/70/22.5 tires from another dealer. He is checking on the dates.

Here are the specs on both tires.

XZE2+
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE®2+ Page

XZA2 Energy
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZA2® Energy™ Page

I am going through the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and the dealer does participate in the program. The XZE2+ is not listed in the Michelin Advantage Tire brochure but the dealer said another customer had talked with FMCA and said that they were also included.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire or any comments. Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I finally heard back from My Michelin dealer in the the Houston TX area. The Michelin 275/70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Tires are still on back order. But he can get a set of 6 Michelin XZE2+ 275/70/22.5 tires from another dealer. He is checking on the dates.

Here are the specs on both tires.

XZE2+
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE®2+ Page

XZA2 Energy
Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZA2® Energy™ Page

I am going through the FMCA Michelin Advantage Program and the dealer does participate in the program. The XZE2+ is not listed in the Michelin Advantage Tire brochure but the dealer said another customer had talked with FMCA and said that they were also included.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire or any comments. Thanks
I checked with FMCA today and their records confirm that the XZA2 Energy 275/70/22.5 is on back order with Michelin. The XZE tires can be purchased through the Advantage program if I go that route. The price for either tire is about the same. $495.91 for the Energy and $496.56 for the XZE. Tax of $32.51 per tire. The installation cost from the dealer is around $431. So the total cost would be around $3387.00 for either one.

I am still concerned about the ride quality and noise level of the regional XZE tire since I know that the Energy tire has a great ride and very quite.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh

I checked with FMCA today and their records confirm that the XZA2 Energy 275/70/22.5 is on back order with Michelin. The XZE tires can be purchased through the Advantage program if I go that route. The price for either tire is about the same. $495.91 for the Energy and $496.56 for the XZE. Tax of $32.51 per tire. The installation cost from the dealer is around $431. So the total cost would be around $3387.00 for either one.

I am still concerned about the ride quality and noise level of the regional XZE tire since I know that the Energy tire has a great ride and very quite.
The 275/70/22.5 2E's (6 of them) that I got through The Micheline Advantage program in DFW area on Friday were a mixed bag of 2013 date codes - couple 19th week - a 22nd week some 44th weeks. Tire shop told me - there are 2 distribution centers for Our area - this is what they could get from Micheline right now. And there was no date certain when another round of them would be in. Order and wait or take what we have. So I now have them. I will look at them all as Mar14 tires for date purposes because that's how Michelin sees them for warranty. Seems reasonable to me.

Oh and by the way - may want to do an alignment... And check the math if that's 6 tires.

Tags
tires