Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #15

Final update!

We put the 2 new BG Goodrich ST230's on the steers.

The one tire with the larger bump/bulge (again, not real large, but noticeable) was a broken cord. The other tire with the smaller bump/bulge, from the inside, was not noticeable as a problem. This bump/bulge was not on the tire in the 5 years that I've had them, so both the TCI Manger and myself, felt it was probably caused but he start of a slipping cord.

The two front Michelin XZE*'s that were move to replace the damaged tires, were in great shape, with one of them just starting to have cracks around the letter stampings.

The shop will be happy to see me again, as I did not catch that the tire tech put my Cross Eyes on backwards, so that I can't get my stem TPMS back onto it. So another visit for them to remount that properly, and that means another round of unhooking the hoses to the crossfire. (Each time they touch a joint like that, I always feel it's a chance of a problem!).

And a minor thing, I had asked for all tires to be aired up to above 115 PSI. Then when I got 8 miles away to our campground, I'd set them all to where I want them by bleeding air out. One tag was not aired up high enough. Attention to detail slip.

I will share that the ST230's on the front, do provide a less harsh ride then the very stiff (and knew this when I bought them, so not a knock) XZE*'s. We have what I call freeze cracks in the roadway into the campground, that were very noticeable when driving into the park, about 1/2 mile of them. Big difference with he less robust and beefed up sidewalls of the ST230's, love the XZE*'s. I now wish I had swapped out the fronts 5 years ago, especially before last years ALCAN roads!

Will be relaxing the other 6 tires in Oregon, not yet sure what way I'll go. But thinking of going with the BF Goodrich ST230's on all rear tires (move the new steers to the tags), and the Michelin XZA2 (XZA3's are not available in our size.) for the steers. But, will sort that out when I get to Oregon!

Best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #16

In the North West now, and started the calls on obtaining the last 6 replacement tires for the XZE*'s.

I can still get the ST230's via the FMCA program for about the $520 range, plus mounting and balancing, etc., etc. However the three locations I called could not guarantee the born on dates.

On the 315/80 22.5 LRL tires for the steers - well, I had private PM's/emails that convinced me that for my coach, the end result would be probably as rough a ride as our XZE*'s have been. The load range L rating, and bit more squeeze from the 8.25 rims. So, no Michelin XZA2's for the steers.

Michelin XZE were available in 12R size, and should have had good born on dates due to the distribution pipeline just starting to flow again. Even with the FMCA program discounts, they were the most expensive tire I looked at.

In the PM's from others, several suggested that I consider obtaining energy efficient low rolling resistant tires, as long as they were at the load range H that I needed. So, I expanded my search to obtain prices on energy rated tires.

This lead me Bridgestone's. The R268 Escopia, have a 6% higher energy rating then the XZE. (This according to Michelin themselves.). Price wise they were higher then the Toyo's on my list, and below the XZE's.

Just looking at costs only, the BG Goodrich ST230's would have been the least expensive, but concern about the born on dates, as well as they have a higher rolling resistance rating the the XZE, and not rated as energy efficient.

So, I have 6 Bridgestone R268 Escopia's being shipped to the tire dealer in Oregon from Southern California. These will go on the steers and the drives, and the current ST230's will move to the tag.

I suspect many of you could care less on what I ended up with. But, again due to some PM's and emails from fellow RV'ers, I wanted to share what and why I choose the tires I did. I should also point out, that in the 12R 22.5 range, the selection choices are limited on Tier 1 tires. I personally consider the BF Goodrich ST230's to be a Tier 2 tire, fine tires, but not Tier 1 - which is always my preference when shopping for coach tires.

We'll see how the front steers feel in comparison the ST230's. The gent helping me order the tires, felt they would be very similar to the ST230's, and for sure less stiff then the XZE*'s I had or even the XZE.

I want to thank those of you that took the time from this board to send me your thoughts and opinions. May not always agree with some of the input, but always grateful to receive it!

My best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty

Old 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
In the North West now, and started the calls on obtaining the last 6 replacement tires for the XZE*'s.

I can still get the ST230's via the FMCA program for about the $520 range, plus mounting and balancing, etc., etc. However the three locations I called could not guarantee the born on dates.

On the 315/80 22.5 LRL tires for the steers - well, I had private PM's/emails that convinced me that for my coach, the end result would be probably as rough a ride as our XZE*'s have been. The load range L rating, and bit more squeeze from the 8.25 rims. So, no Michelin XZA2's for the steers.

Michelin XZE were available in 12R size, and should have had good born on dates due to the distribution pipeline just starting to flow again. Even with the FMCA program discounts, they were the most expensive tire I looked at.

In the PM's from others, several suggested that I consider obtaining energy efficient low rolling resistant tires, as long as they were at the load range H that I needed. So, I expanded my search to obtain prices on energy rated tires.

This lead me Bridgestone's. The R268 Escopia, have a 6% higher energy rating then the XZE. (This according to Michelin themselves.). Price wise they were higher then the Toyo's on my list, and below the XZE's.

Just looking at costs only, the BG Goodrich ST230's would have been the least expensive, but concern about the born on dates, as well as they have a higher rolling resistance rating the the XZE, and not rated as energy efficient.

So, I have 6 Bridgestone R268 Escopia's being shipped to the tire dealer in Oregon from Southern California. These will go on the steers and the drives, and the current ST230's will move to the tag.

I suspect many of you could care less on what I ended up with. But, again due to some PM's and emails from fellow RV'ers, I wanted to share what and why I choose the tires I did. I should also point out, that in the 12R 22.5 range, the selection choices are limited on Tier 1 tires. I personally consider the BF Goodrich ST230's to be a Tier 2 tire, fine tires, but not Tier 1 - which is always my preference when shopping for coach tires.

We'll see how the front steers feel in comparison the ST230's. The gent helping me order the tires, felt they would be very similar to the ST230's, and for sure less stiff then the XZE*'s I had or even the XZE.

I want to thank those of you that took the time from this board to send me your thoughts and opinions. May not always agree with some of the input, but always grateful to receive it!

My best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Correction on my post above about the R268 and R283 Escopia's. I misread the Michelin Rolling Resistant Comparison. I was reading them arse backwards... The R283's have a better rolling resistance then the R268's. I ordered the R268's in, so the tire shop is seeing what we can do to either return them, or if they can sell them to someone else. I've committed to buy tires from them, so hoping that will help, but I sure don't want to pay shipping costs to return tires! Hoping they can add them to their stock and move them.

I figure with tires going for 5-7 years of usage, I want to get the ties that I feel are the right ones for us. And, lower rolling resistance does give a chance for improved MPG over those years.

Smitty

(This update posted in other tire threads, to correct the info on rollin resistance, so others don't consider this bad info I provided as part of their tire purchasing process.)
Old 10-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Monday, 8 new Michelins XZA2's, 315/80R22.5 will be put on. I have had very good luck with my Michelins on the past 2 coach's I have owned so I am sticking with them. Continental pricing was more expensive than FMCA. Now just trying to decide on how to balance the tires, the dealer is wanting to do liquid tire balance instead of spin, I see some merit but I have never heard of anyone using it. I am being told it won't be a problem with my TPMS, not a problem if I have a flat etc. Supposedly good for the life the tire?
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Just installed new Michelin's (315 front 295 rear and tag). Used Dyna Beads on all tires. Ordered directly from Dyna Beads....

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

Love how smooth they ride. Check truck tire size for amount to order

Good Luck
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #20

I run Centramatics, if not, I'd use beads. Happy for those of you that found Michelin's, I wanted something different then the XZE this set of tires (a goo tire, but a stiff ride). 12R 22.5 are very few and far a part, and many tire manufacturers decide to not cover this size. I wanted XZA3's, but no luck. And as mentioned in this thread, looked closely at 315/80 22.5 in the XZA2'a for at least the steers. With 8.25 rims, and a higher load range, I decided this would counter my desire for a bit less stiff ride on the fronts.

Smitty
Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #21

Been a long way from two pot hole damaged tires replacement back last summer, in the middle of the Michelin shortage.

Ended up for a few reasons not purchasing the Bridgestone's from a well known tire shop in Junction City. (Not pleased with how this all came down. Cost me money to walk away, and was called a liar during the process and preached at by the Manager for about 20 minutes on how RV'ers need to be educated on DoT and that the tires do not age while the warehouse. (The gent was frustrated about DoT conversation, and had a high opinion of himself.) If I had been in the area, I would have gone to court about this, as a matter of principal, but after three months of off and on talking - just decided to walk and over on.)

OK - So now getting ready to head out for another 4-5 month trip, I started the process to look for replacement tires. Well, the 12R 22.5 are not available with young dates in either the BF Goodrich ST230, or the Michelin XZE. Gave long consideration to the Hankook AH12's, which I'm sure would have been a fine tire.

Working with Laszlo in TCI out of Lakeside, CA who has been a pleasure to work with. He had me come in so he could inspect my 6 remaining XZE's that are now 6 years + old. He did a thorough inspection, and said he thought I could probably run another season on them. But, I had told my wife that between age 5-7 we would swap them out, and I knew she would not feel safe on a long trip, it's her nature!

So, we are going to move the ST230's 12R's to the tag. And have 6 new Michelin 295/80 XZA2 Energy tires installed on the Steers and Drives. They have DoT's of 0416 as the oldest tire. So pretty dang fresh.

Looking forward to see if I pick up an improvement in expansion joint crossings. And, these have 17% less rolling resistance then my XZE's - which was another reason I walked on the Bridgestone, as I had asked for guidance on choosing ties that were more fuel efficient, the Bridgestone were 6% higher rolling resistant.

Good to get this chapter behind us. They go on next week.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 04-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Both are good tires, get the ones with the best deal...they'll age out long before the tread is gone.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote