Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Michelin XZA2 vs Continental HSL1

Opinions please on which would give the more comfortable ride on the front end.

Michelin XZA2's Rated L 315/80R 22.5
Continental HSL1 Rated L 315/80R 22.5

I've heard good things about both. Continental has the better warranty, including cracking. Mention cracking, as Michelin XZA2 is an unknown to me as far as cracking concerns?

These are to replace the two 12R 22.5 Michelin XZE* on our 40' Coach. Moving the existing steers to replace two of the rears that have developed very small little 'bumps' (TCI Centers did not feel I should call the a bulge!). Really is very minor, and the XZE* are 16 Ply and way overbuilt for the light duty they're doing on our lighter 40' RV. But, it is an indication that probably a California pot hole has got the better of these two tires.

The full set of 8, are at age 5 1/2, and I had wanted to get 7 years out of them. But was prepared to replace at age 6, if any indications of problems popped up. Towards the end of this trip, we'll be in Oregon, and I'll probably go ahead and replace the other 6 at that time.

The tire shop gent said he felt I was probably safe to continue driving with the two that had the slight 'bump' (Probably 3/32 of a bump, if even that high, with one tire being a bit more then the other.) But, he admitted he handles mostly OTR tractors and trailers, where the damage to an RV plumbing, and stuff, is not at risk. Let alone, if control is lost. So, I'm pretty sure it's just the right thing to do, to change them out and get the known potential bad ones out. Have a damaged cord, or worse.

Opinions on which of these two will provide the best ride comfort on the front end, would be appreciated. (One gent in the RV Park I'm now in, said it would probably be a toss up - as they're both going to be much nicer riding then our heavy duty XZE*!)

TIA,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Well this became a non discussion as far as choices were concern. In the Denver area, and elsewhere, quite a backlog on Michelin RV tires. Best estimate would be in the late Sept, early Oct before Michelins would available.

Can find some 1 at one location, and another a different one - but some pretty old born on dates involved. Both back in 2014.

So, will be concentrating on getting the Continental HSL1's available with good born on dates!

Pothole impact slight bulges on two of my tires, makes this not something I want to limp along with for too far!

Best,
Smitty

Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

Have you looked at the specs for these tires?

Sumitomo ST727, 12R22.5
Yokohama 104ZR, 12R22.5
Toyo M111Z, 12R22.5
Hancook AH12 12R22.5
Samson GL274A 12/R-22.5
Samson Roadmaster RM230HH

On-line prices are much less painful than the Michelins. Of course purchasing on-line will incur shipping and eventual installation costs.

I'm seriously considering dumping my eight Michelins and buying Yokohamas.

www.simpletire.com
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A 315/80 seems like overkill to replace a 12R22.5 anyway. A 295/80 should be plenty. And why Load Range L? Is your front axle rated for 20,000 lbs? Few 40 footers have more than a 14,600 or 15, 000 lb front axle, so Load Range H is usually plenty.

I favor having a good tire with some excess capacity, but at some point buying unneeded carry capacity is just a waste of money.

Continental HSR2 comes in 12R22.5 and carries 7830 lbs/tire (single) in LR H, enough for a fully loaded 15,600 lb front axle. Do you really need more than that?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Moonrover - Thanks for the tires, and yes, I'm still looking at other options.

Gary - The L for my lighter 40' coach's front end, are overkill. The Continental HSL1's only come in the 315/80R 22.5 L rating, thus my looking at the L range.

As I understand it, could be off in my understanding, the 315/80R are the closet to the 12R. I think the 295/80R's are about 1" in diameter smaller then the 12R's(?). And that would require adjustment of my ride height, which was a PITA for Colton Trucks to get set properly.

One final factor, is the conditions of our highways. I felt that the XZE* 12R's, with the "*" meaning a bit more meat in the sidewalls, were more then robust enough for our coach. I set the PSI to the four corner weight plus 5PSI. (And as matter of fact, when the weight of an axle is within the upper 25% of the weight range on the inflation charts, I jump up to the next level and use that PSI as my baseline. That was the case with the front, and tag. So, I have more then enough PSI in these tires.) Even so, the nasty roads in California, have gotten the better of two of my tires. Potholes can be avoided at times, and at others, due to traffic conditions, you just hang on tight for the ride! We hit such a pot hole on I99 between Bakersfield and Fresno. Trucks passing me in the fast lane, right on my tail behind me too, and then a gent pulled off in the shoulder. Had no were to maneuver. Got the coach down to under 50, missed the pot hole with the front, but then due to the shoulder vehicle, could not miss it with the rear. It was a deep, hard edge, impact. So hard, we got off at the next exit to look things over. Could see where the impact was, but no visible damage at that time. Suspect the chord was compromised then, and more highway miles had the mini 'bump' that I'm seeing now show itself. (No idea where the Tag on the other side was hurt, but suspect rough roads.)

So, maybe 315/80R 22.5 Load Range L, will give me a bit more insurance via toughness then the 12R's. They might survive a bit better on these roadways of ours. I do have 8.25 rims, and will need to adjust weight loads and PSI accordingly to a lower value then if on a 9" rim - but still should be a stronger tire.

So that was why i was considering the L load rating tires.The HSL1 are "Heavy Steer Long Haul", designed for larger bus and coaches. Good for all positions. But, I'm considering all options, now that the Michelin's are not going to be available i time for this tire purchase.

Best to all, and thanks for the feedback!
Smitty

(And Note: At 5 1/2 years of age, and an Alaska trip under them too, the Michelin XZE* are IMO a fine tire. If I will probably go with them again on the rears, as not positive the slightly wider 315/80R 22.5 will fit on the duals. Know they will on the tag. But those 6 tire purchases are I hope, a future decision process. If I could get the 12R XZE for the steers, I would consider them, as the XZE* do ride a bit 'stiff'.)
Old 08-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Continental vs Michelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

I've heard good things about both. Continental has the better warranty, including cracking. Mention cracking, as Michelin XZA2 is an unknown to me as far as cracking concerns?

These are to replace the two 12R 22.5 Michelin XZE* on our 40' Coach. Moving the existing steers to replace two of the rears that have developed very small little 'bumps' (TCI Centers did not feel I should call the a bulge!). Really is very minor, and the XZE* are 16 Ply and way overbuilt for the light duty they're doing on our lighter 40' RV. But, it is an indication that probably a California pot hole has got the better of these two tires.

The full set of 8, are at age 5 1/2, and I had wanted to get 7 years out of them. But was prepared to replace at age 6, if any indications of problems popped up. Towards the end of this trip, we'll be in Oregon, and I'll probably go ahead and replace the other 6 at that time.

The tire shop gent said he felt I was probably safe to continue driving with the two that had the slight 'bump' (Probably 3/32 of a bump, if even that high, with one tire being a bit more then the other.) But, he admitted he handles mostly OTR tractors and trailers, where the damage to an RV plumbing, and stuff, is not at risk. Let alone, if control is lost. So, I'm pretty sure it's just the right thing to do, to change them out and get the known potential bad ones out. Have a damaged cord, or worse.

Opinions on which of these two will provide the best ride comfort on the front end, would be appreciated. (One gent in the RV Park I'm now in, said it would probably be a toss up - as they're both going to be much nicer riding then our heavy duty XZE*!)

TIA,
Smitty
If the Michelins are available that would be my choice.
Wish I knew a little more about what TCI is calling "a bump"
Does the bumps run all the way from near the tread to near the rim?
Have they just recently appeared, or always been there?

Regarding age (which I think is 99% marketing gimmick), you may note
Michelin's website their policy is: After 5 years have tires inspected annually by a qualified tire technician, and replace after 10 years.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

We have a sister coach, we also have a 2004 Country Coach Allure. We just replaced all 8 tires with the new Firestone FS 561, we stayed with the 12R22.5 and didn't put larger tires on the front. They have been on the coach now for about 1 month we just returned from a 1000 mile trip they performed perfectly and ride much better then the Toyos they replaced, which were excellent tires. We also got tires with very fresh born on dates within 2 months of the installation. You may want to consider Firestones for your coach.
Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #8

So, as the tire hunt continues! If the born on dates are OK, I can get the FMCA Michelin Advantage prices on BF Goodrich ST230's, in 12R 22.5. So, instead of putting them on the steers, I'd have them mounted to the tags. Retaining my 5 + years old XZE*'s on the steers and duals.

Then when in Oregon in October, hopefully the XZA2's will be available again, and I'll replace these 6 XZE*.

When I did my research to buy the XZE*'s - the BF Goodrich ST230's were my second choice. So very comfortable having them installed on the tag's - or heck, anywhere for that matter.

We should hear what the Born On Date is on these ST230's within the hour, and if under 6 months, I'll pay the $8 each to have them transferred to the TCI I've been talking with. Fingers crossed!!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Born on Date 0915 for both, so 1st week of March. Have them on their way, and will get them installed when we come out of the Rocky Mountain NP on the 20th.

(I had a few PM's on another board, about what is Born on Date (or batch manufacturing date), thus my updating this thread on the date codes. I felt sorry for one gent, he had had 8 tires put on in April of this year. Did not know what Born on Date of the tire was about. He looked, and he had by week code November 2013 as the newest, and July 2013 as the oldest (said he could not see the inner of the dual, so has no idea). Called to talk to the tire shop about it, and the 'gentleman' said that 'You RVer's are all alike, know nothing about tires. It is the date of install that matters. A tire in a warehouse is not aging, it's only when they're mounted and in usage that they age.' The guy sending me the PM, has made it clear that he will not be using that shop again! In fairness, it may not really matter within a year or so. But my opinion is that the buyer should be made aware that they are older stock, again IMO, if say older then 1 year old, so they can make a decision. In my case, I passed on the Continental HSL1's, as they were both October of 2014. When spending this kind of coin, I prefer under 6 months - unless in an emergency.)

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would check with any tire manufacturer your concidering, whether they approve of installing their 315/80 tire on a 8 1/4" rim.
The only one I've read of, is Michelin, and I think that may only be the XRV tire.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #11

Smitty,

Do you still have the original wells on your coach, are they wide enought for the 315 Tires?

Larry
Old 08-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #12

96 Wideglide and Larry - Once the date was known to be so old on the HSL1's that were available in this region. I shifted back to 12R 22.5. These new ST230's will be going onto the tag.

Larry - Some tire manufactures specify some 315/80R 22.5 can be mounted on 8.25 rims. They derate them as far as load in relation to PSI compared to the 9" rims. But, still way overkill for the front end of my coaches weight. (Would have been OK with that overkill, as I mentioned, roads are only getting worse and the extra robustness of this Load Range L tire might have survived the potholes a bit better.)

On the drives and tags, I doubt I would have gone to 315/80R 22.5's. Though both the Allure and Intrigue of this era, have had reports of certain tire manufacturers 315/80R 22.5's being installed safely. Allures always have only the ISL in this era, but if it was an Intrigue, it was only the ISL equipped units that could do so. The CAT's used up a bit more room, and they mounted the tag wheel a bit differently. At least from what I recall reading up on from other CC owners.

And I noted a post asking what the 'bumps' were. They are slipped, or broken cords. One is more the radiate out from the hub to about 1 1/2 short of the tire tread. One is about 1 1/2 wide now, and has not grown in depth or width in over 1200 miles. The other is much less wide, and much shallower. They protrude, and are not indentations that could indicate other reasons. I had help offline from Tireman9, and he asked me to be sure on this, and put a straight edge up to the to confirm they were protrusions, not undulations or indentations. Sorry I never commented on this earlier.

Best,
Smitty
Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

TIA,
Smitty
Curious what the price difference between the 2 tires you are looking at? I am waiting on XZA2's at $600 each.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
Curious what the price difference between the 2 tires you are looking at? I am waiting on XZA2's at $600 each.
TCI in the Denver area, quote for mounted/balance/state & local taxes of $660 each for the BF Goodrich ST230. FMCA Michelin Advantage price of $520 each.

The XZY3's were $890 each, Advantage price $658.

Nice hunk of coin savings.

Best,
Smitty