Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Michelin XZE2+ 295/80R22.5

Has anyone used this tire on their RV? Michelin indicates, in their literature, it is for regional and limited highway use. However, it looks like it is a lower cost alternative to XZA1 and XZA2 Energy, with the same warranty.
This tire has been recommended by a Michelin rep for RV use to a friend of mine. However, he routinely travels cross country, and I am concerned that Michelin classes this tire as regional, rather than long haul.
I would appreciate input from anyone who has used or is using this tire.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40DS04 View Post
Has anyone used this tire on their RV? Michelin indicates, in their literature, it is for regional and limited highway use. However, it looks like it is a lower cost alternative to XZA1 and XZA2 Energy, with the same warranty.
This tire has been recommended by a Michelin rep for RV use to a friend of mine. However, he routinely travels cross country, and I am concerned that Michelin classes this tire as regional, rather than long haul.
I would appreciate input from anyone who has used or is using this tire.

Thanks,
I guess if you are going to just drive your RV locally and not on the highway very much you could save a few bucks. Or you could save money and buy something else that will give better service. We chose Toyos.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I cannot really comment on the XZE2 tire but I can report about the XZE tire from Michelin. Last year, I replaced all of our XRV tires with the XZE brand and drove the rig to Alaska and back as well as other places. It is a stronger tire than the original equipment XRV's and has served me well. The side walls are better and i can run them with a lower air pressure. Insofar as costs are concerned, the XZE's were not considered to be a lower cost tire. I hope that I never have too, but I would buy them again.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
40DS04, I did the same as CoastieSCPO and really like them. I was quoted same price for XRV-XZE. XZE's were a newer date so that made me go with XZE's. 12,000mi and look new.
Forgot to mention I had a left front blowout at 60mph with five year old XRV's. That's why my hair so gray........!

Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 40DS04,
Worry not about the e2+ tires. I've had them on my steer axle for 5 years and 67K miles. They ride as smooth as glass and show little wear. I asked Michelin the same question you asked. They would not define "regional" in the RV world. They refused to explain the difference, in the RV world with regard to "regional" and "limited highway" use. For me, I feel it applies more to over the toad trucks.

I would easily make the same purchase again.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree with Gary and as Mike, I really like my tires. That being said, I believe that the XZE's could be considered to be truck tires because they can be re-capped. I don't believe that XRV tires can. So, maybe the regional tag that the manufacturer attaches to them is for truck use, not RV. This is only my humble opinion. I do know for a fact, that I took my 6 XZE's thru a whole bunch of regions on our way to and from AK, especially the ruts, pot holes, frost heaves, gravel and mud of the Alaska Highway between Burwash landing and Tok.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

I just put xza3 on the front. $1108 for 275 80 22.5 I may go with xze for the rear if they are a good deal cheaper. the xze has a stiffer side wall because is has one more steel ply then the xza3. So you can reduce the air for a smoother ride on the xze. with air ride, not sure if you can feel the difference.
I had to order tires way in advance,they said the came in. I went to get the put on and they only had 14 ply. I call spartan and american coach, they said I needed 16. So they put on 16 ply general tires until the michelins came in. They took off xza2s that were dry rotted. They general which are the same as continental road harsh. All of a sudden, my coach started to rattle and make sounds I never heard. So now I feel michelins tires well help reduce wear and tear on my rig and my family. If can keep my kids quiet, I would enjoy the ride. any buddy need two general tires with 400 miles on them?lol

Bill
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your input. Both my Buddy and I have Travel Supreme 40DS models, his 3 slide and mine 4. Both are built on Spartan Chassis and were delivered with Michelin XZA1 295/80R 22.5 tires. I had to replace mine early this year and went with Michelin XZA2 Energy 295/80R 22.5 at Spartans recommendation. However, it appears that Michelin has raised the price of the XZA2 Energy significantly since I purchased mine early this year. He is trying to keep his cost for 6 tires to around $4,000 and the Michelin shop recommended XZE2+. Since neither of us were familiar with this tire, it is good to know you have had positive experiences. We both fulltime, run heavy and cross country regularly. We were concerned about the ratings by Michelin of "regional" on this tire, as they say in the data sheet for limited highway use.
Thanks again for your input.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You can skimp on beer; You can skimp on food. Buddy when you are comming down off a mountian pass and blow a tire and go over the edge in to a raviene. Then you think of all the money you saved;;;; Buy the best you can get; We took that RV tire crap off and put A truck greenline X tire on it. And ON tires PLEASE don't shop . just buy the BEST:: your life is worth That to you;; Life is good .
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
You can skimp on beer; You can skimp on food. Buddy when you are comming down off a mountian pass and blow a tire and go over the edge in to a raviene. Then you think of all the money you saved;;;; Buy the best you can get; We took that RV tire crap off and put A truck greenline X tire on it. And ON tires PLEASE don't shop . just buy the BEST:: your life is worth That to you;; Life is good .

Agree
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Bachler,
Thanks for the advice. However, it is not helpful, and did nothing to address what I asked for. No one here is talking about endangering their life to save a few bucks, and to make such a statement just shows ignorance.
Michelin is a quality tire manufacturer and makes several tires in the same class, aimed at different segments of the market. In my opinion, they are the "best". The question posed was to determine IF some of the members could comment on the suitability of the XZE2+ as a replacement for the XZA1 (no longer in production). The Michelin Rep recommended this tire as a replacement tire. My buddy and I were concerned about two aspects of this tire (neither of which were whether it would fail us on a steep downhill grade in the western mountains. Unfortunately, that can happen at any time, to anyone, with any tire. To try and prevent that, most of us do seek quality.); the qualities were ride and wear. Several members, who had experience with the tire in question, provided useful input. You chose to add another post to your belt.
When I visit the forum, I seek advice from the membership SPECIFIC to the question I pose, and when I provide input, I try and limit it to the question posed by other members.
I am not interested in generalizations about the value of life, or buying the "best". I am sure all the membership holds these values dear...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I in now way intended to offend any one by stating. Shimp on anything but ; tires;; It's just those comments That are general. way of thinking;;; You ever start a conversation with the guy next to you at WALLMART And he tells you he just paid $450.000.00 for his coach.... My mind wonders With all that Money ,why is he saving a few bucks by parking at W/m. As he stated he was doing;;.. The fact really don't matter to me. If someone skimp on tires. I've Helped them out of the ditch. Even Broke the lugnuts loose for them. .. This is not a personal thing..
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also switched to the XZE2+ and am very pleased with the ride. I check my tires often and from the outside they seem fine. I feel safe with them.
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
A little history' We rented motorhomes out For many years; Two years ago we took a trip with a group of motorhomes the albuquekie balloon fest, one of the group put a set of tires on. Braged about the good deal. Well somewere in Arazona, The RR outside duel blew;; He was lucky the coach was a light gray color The 3 rolls of duct tape matched it quite well;; But spend your money wisely; This post is from my experiance onlyand is not intended to insult the person that Knows it all.