Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Michelin XZE2+ question

Currently have Goodyear g670 RV tires on my 2008 Monaco Knight. They are 275 70r 22.5 tires. The tires have a bad case of rivering. We are currently traveling across the country to California. Currently in Salt Lake City. Every time I look at them I get more and more nervious. They seem to be wearing faster by the day.

I contacted a local truck tire company and he has the above mentioned Michelin tires. I have read reviews on the forum with people that used them and it sounds good. The tires sound like a good step up over the Goodyear tire. 18 ply instead of 16.

With my Goodyear tire I was running 95 pounds of air. Not sure what I will need for these Michelins. My question is what air pressure are any of you that have these tires using? My front axle weighs about 11,000 pounds.

Any suggestions and feedback is much appreciated. My concern is the truck tire dealer will put in max air.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Huh, I just visited the Michelin site and they don't have a category for RV tires anymore. Wonder if they're getting out of the RV tire business.

Anyway, there will be a chart of the recommended pressures vs. weight at Michelins site for that 'truck' tire...before you go in, get a 4 corner weight of your RV. Or weigh each axle. Then TELL the dealer what pressure you want in the fronts and the rears. (If you weigh each corner, you set the pressure of all the tires at the recommended pressure for the highest weight...if you weigh the axle, divide by 4 or 2 then add 10PSI over the recommended pressure for that weight).

You should also tell the tech the lug nut rating...I had a 'Truck Tire' shop under torque them by 325ft-lbs one time. Three of the lug nuts let loose all at once around 1,000 miles later (my fault for not asking them what they torqued them to and for not re-checking the torques 50 miles later as recommended).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #3

I just mounted the exact same tire on the front of my coach last week and have since put almost 2,000 miles on them since; I can't complain.

According to Michelin's inflation guide

Michelin Americas Truck Tires XZE2+ Page

You need about 100 pounds, depending upon exact where in the 11,000 pound range you sit.

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #4

Tire dealers always put the maximum pressure in the tire as it helps to seat the bead. You then need to lower it to the pressure indicated in the table.http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZE2%2B.
No mention of these being recommended for RV use though.

This is the site for RV tires. http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/index.jsp
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Tire dealers always put the maximum pressure in the tire as it helps to seat the bead. You then need to lower it to the pressure indicated in the table.http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZE2%2B.
No mention of these being recommended for RV use though.

This is the site for RV tires. Welcome to Michelin North America RV Website
I was originally concerned that the XZE2+'s weren't "RV" tires, but when I dug through a lot of of Michelin documentation (find their big product guide, it's excellent. I don't have the link handy right now), I found that the XZE2+, a "Regional" tire is good for RV use -- unless in general you operate your coach day and night over 80,000 miles per year. For Michelin, at least, "Regional" tends to mean less than 80,000 miles per year, "return to base" at night (in other words, typically driven just one shift a day, not in continuous use) and not heavily loaded (which with these tires and an 11,000 lb axle weight (compared to a max loading of about 15,000 pounds for the axle), the RV lines up with.

Obviously, time will tell, but having gone through the documentation I don't believe it's a bad tire for RV's.

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #7

Steve, thanks for e link to the Michelin site. You are right, it looks like 100 pounds would work well. I have one side that is a bit heaver than the other. It is 5450 pounds. The other is 5100. So if I take the 5450 and multiple it by 2 you 10,900. I think the 100 pounds sits at 10800 on the chart.

We will see. I get them installed Wednesday morning before we head out from Salt Lake City to Reno and then California.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Seve
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #8

Michelin tires

We also had the Goodyear tires with the rivering problem. I replaced them with the Michelin XZA-2 275/70/22-5 tires. All tires were balanced the old fashion way, with weights. The ride is smooth and quiet. The tires were purchased through TCI Tire using the FMCA Advantage program. The best that I can figure I saved about $100.00 per tire from previous quotes.

Walter-07 Fleetwood 39V
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have the XZE2+ and they are great; much better ride and handling than the XZA2's we had before. The tires have many more crosswise "swipes" which usually improve a tire's handling ability.

As the owner of a Monaco product you are eligible to join Monaco International and use its Michelin buying program which usually is a few dollars cheaper than the FMCA one. For me it more than covered the cost of joining.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

I just talked to the Michelin distributor in the Pacific NW and he told me that the XRV has been discontinued and the XZA won't be available until July 15 (when the next shipment from Europe arrives). Bummer - have to find a different tire.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #11

Not having all the information but I think I'd move the front tires to the rear and put two of the rears on the front if the major concern is rivering. Also a good balance on the ones moved to the front.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #12

Bob,

The tires have gotten really bad. Some of the rivering marks are two inches wide. I just don't feel comfortable with the old ones. After we leave California we will drive to Maine. A long way to worry about two tires.

Steve
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

Installed 2 tires on front this morning in Salt Lake City. Drove to Nevada and the tires are smooth. Put 100 pounds of air in the tires. Paid $488 per tire before tax etc.

Steve
Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #14

I just had all 6 tires replaced on my 07 Discovery 39S. I replaced them with the same Goodyear 670 275/70R 22.5 Question is about tire pressure for front and rear. Below are the weights they gave me on my coach and I cannot find the correct PSI for some reason. I was at 3/4 water and only 1/4 gas at the time.

LFront-4620
RFront-4020
LRear-8460
RRear-8860

Thanks

mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote