Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelins vs. Bridgestone

Decisions, decisions,,,, I'm getting ready to replace my 8 year old GY's
Got a price for Bridgestone G rated 12 ply to replace @ 421. per tire. The equivelent in the Michelin is 443. per tire out the door mounted and balanced.
I have always gotten good service out of both tires on my regular vehicles, I have Bridgestones on my truck currently and have had Michelins on the wifes car with no complaints. But this is the first time for me to purchase MH tires and I want to get the best bang for the buck and I want to do it right.
Michelins or Bridgestones,,,That's the question........

Your thoughts?

Regards,

RovinOn

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

The million dollar question, Just went to my Goodyear Tire Center , getting ready to replace my Class C tires, They ran off the names of about 4 different brands, some from China and Japan before they got to the Goodyear tires. They say they have had no complaints from the China brands. Has anyone here tried tires manafactured in China ?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Both will serve you well. I assume 22"? No mention of specific tire model.

Opions will vary (as in some like Chevy and some like Ford!), but the Michelins could provide a bit smoother/quieter ride. In the tire truck world, Michelins and Goodyears are considered Tier 1, and Bridgestone, BG Goodrich, Toyo, and a few others are Tier 2. After that, you don't want Tier 3 to save a few bucks...

Price points are too close to be concerned about the price points, when spread over 5 years plus ahead...

I see no bad choice in between these two.

Best of luck on your decision, and suspect you will get opinions both ways!

Smitty

Note: We went with Michelin XZE * in 22 R12 size. The * provided a bit stronger sidewalls, and I liked that for our heavy rig. Our second choice was the BF Goodrich, followed by the Bridestones R250...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I forgot to mention these are 19.5 tires on a 05 Southwind /Workhorse chassis. I wish this would have been built on the bigger chassis with the bigger tire but it is what it is.

RovinOn
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Might want to check in on the FMCA Michelin Advantage plan. Saved me a lot of money over the Bridgestones which was cheaper than the dealer price of Michelin's

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
China.......run fast.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

I might suggest you go to the Michelin tire website and check out all of the tire types that they offer/recommend for RV use to ensure you're getting the right tire AND the best value. There are more varieties than one might imagine. I would think Goodyear also has multiple choices as well.

There is more to consider, IMHO, than just price. Example....2 years ago, I put Michelin XZA3's on our coach in place of the XRV's that were on it. The new tires remain extremely quiet, ride like a magic carpet and are wearing like steel. Love 'em. And they come with a 7 year/700,00 mile, 3 retread casing warranty. What are the warranties on the tires you are comparing? Now, the mileage and, I hope, the retread part won't come into play for us. But, overall, that casing warranty convinced me that this tire is built to last...and that is important to me. And they were priced, like yours, very close to the competition....which did not offer a warranty even close to Michelin's. Just my experience. But maybe it offers some additional thoughts for you to consider.

Good luck....and please us know what you decide. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Have you considered Hankooks. The 19.5 tires should be readily available. We had these on our previous gas unit and paid just over $1700 for (6), M&B, about 2 1/2yrs ago.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You failed to mention if you are a weekend warrior or a full timer, reason I asked this question, is why spend all that money if you are not a full timer. If your RV is going to sit in your driveway for monthes without being used, then I would pick another tire at a lower price.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I had 10 year old Bridgestones on my MH when I bought it a year ago. They looked new, no cracking sidewalls. I replaced them with the same. 8,000 miles later, I am very happy with my choice. I hope this helps..
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to thank you all for your thoughts, I have to research this a little further as for the tire models.
We are part time users and this does sit for time on end. The last it's been out for a real run was back in April for a trip to Myrtle Beach. Other than the repair shop for a period of time (long story) it sat. This weekend we're taking down to our daughters in Maryland for a long weekend to help them move.
I do want a good tire though... and these are the brands I've always been most happy with.

Regards,
RovinOn
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've only had one blowout in the time I've been driving, a GoodYear on the '97 Jeep.

Up until we picked up a couple screws setting up fpr a show I've never even had a flat on a Michelin. The tires did have 60,000 miles on them at the time too so they were getting thin but still very legal.

My money is on Michelins.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
400+ dollars for 19.5's is a bit high, no? I know thats prolly the going price atm, but still..

edit: And 12ply is 'F' rated, not 'G', which are '14 ply'..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yokohamas.. $293 Yokohama RY023 225/70R19.5 Tires for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales