Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
micro cracks on roof

I'm not sure if I didn't notice it last fall, but when I was on the roof
couple weeks ago I saw little lines. The roof is white and they look
like little black lines. Upon closer inspection they look like little
cracks. There are no leaks (that I know of) and they don't appear to be
very deep, but I'm wondering if that is some kind of paint on the roof
or if that is the same thing that is going on in the sidewalls with the
fiberglass layers underneath the top layer expand/contract at different
rates? I'm wondering what I should do about them. Paint with some roof
paint? I washed the roof 3 or 4 times this year and put on wax and 303
twice. Am I not doing something that I should be?
Here are some pictures of the roof

https://picasaweb.google.com/1156312...eat=directlink

Appreciate all help.
Paul
04 Revolution

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

Those cracks are SCARY!
I don't know [moderator edit] caused that, but If I were you, I would keep asking until I got a straight answer.... and a solution to the problem.
My fiberglass, (Filon) roof, at 16 years old, is twice as old as yours.
Mine has never been coated, garaged, repaired or replaced, and looks to be in better shape.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara

Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They do not seem that scary to me but it's your coach.

At least to me they seem cosmetic almost superficial something paint might obliderate if you were inclined. And it is hard to tell exactly from a picture. Something to find out about for sure as you are trying to do. Worrisome.

What have you tried to determine exactly what they are? Have you tried determining the depth, maybe they are scratches? Have you tried say scrubbing lightly on them with something detergent to see it they change in any way. It is curious that they run in different directions and all seem to be the same width.

But if they were on my coach I would be up there with a sample square and really investigate as much as I could and try some remedies in a small area.

Hopefully someone understanding fiberglass will come along and offer more. I hope I am right that they are not serious or something that would cost a bunch if you were inclinded to "fix" them.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
I've noticed that too on the fiberglass roof of my coach. I've concluded that someone put the wrong roof coating on the fiberglass and that the coating is all that is cracking. IMHO the thing to worry about is the caulking around roof penetrations and at edges. I may be wrong, and I'll be interested to see how this thread develops.
Bob
Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

It is only the gelcoat (which is very thin on these roofs) cracking from feet walking upon and/or heat/flex movement and not to mention UV affecting the gelcoat, which is the slick outer layer of most fiberglass structure. Boats have this problem due to age and flexing and also gelcoat/fiberglass area being too thin next to a thick area due to MFG process. The cracking (also called spyderwebing) can also be caused by the MFG process due to too much curing agent, bad spray tecnique of the gelcoat layer being of different thicknesses. Gelcoat is brittle and has very little flex qualities. RV roofs are made of a very thin FRP (fiberglass re-inforced panel) with a very thin layer of gelcoat.
Keep the roof waxed to keep micro debris out of cracking and one should have no problems. I wash and wax roof yearly and recently used a product Reject to see how it works. So far nothing sticks to roof sides are cleaner and all is good.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Gelcoat crazing.. you can paint the roof with Marine paint and make it look like new while sealing the cracks..

Flagstaff Pop Up Roof Sealant
Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

I agree with the last few post. The first fiberglass coat was applied too think and the sun caused the material to shrink. I would repaint it with some type of uv resistant stuff. Didn't dicor come out with a paint for fiberglass roofs you can roll on? I think it's new on the market. Sand and clean with alcohol so paint sticks. Automotive paint stores sell a more agressive clean. I repainted my fiberglass roof with white auto paint and clear coat. I had the clear pealing off over the wind sheild and above the side walls. I would also get chaukly white streaks after I wash it. The 2 stage auto paint worked out nicely. I sprayed it on with a graco paint system. No more chaulky stains. and my 2000 eagle look a little newer.
Bill
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can roll Marine Top Side paint..
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far I only washed/waxed the roof in early September. I was going to put 303 on it for the winter, but it has been raining here for last few weekends so I didn't get to it. To me the cracks look pretty superficial, but I don't want to see them get worse as much as I know that they for sure won't get better. Since I don't know much about the problem myself, I'm avoiding taking it to the local dealer and let them go on a fishing expedition because I know that they always catch a sucker. I may have to see what it does over the Southern Ontario winter.

Thanks all,
Paul

Tags
roof