Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Microwave 40 Watt Bulbs Converted to LED's

My coach came with a Sharp Microwave model R-1850A that has two 40 watt incandescent clear bulbs underneath to light up the cook-top or the counter top when the covers are on the cook-top.

In the past I was replacing these bulbs at least 2 times and in some cases 3 times every year due to the number of hours the bulbs are used. On average these bulbs were between $4-$5 each.

They do not make a standard LED replacement for the Appliance/Microwave 40 Watt Bulb so I decided to try a different path.

i first bought two base adapters which go from an E12 base to an E17 base. Then I went to Lowe's and purchased two Chandelier 40 Watt Warm White Clear LED bulbs.

E12 Base to E17 Base Socket Adapter | Empty Bases & Sockets | Installation Supplies | Installation/Power Supplies/Misc | Super Bright LEDs

Shop Utilitech 4.8-Watt (40W Equivalent) Candelabra Base (E-12) Base Warm White Dimmable Decorative LED Light Bulb at Lowes.com

I screwed the Chandelier bulb into the adapter and then screwed the combo package into the microwave socket. The first one was easy to install but the second one required some patience to get it in because of the amount of room left. There was just enough room to squeeze it in. These are much longer and fatter than the normal incandescent bulbs especially with the adapter.

I am very please with the results and hopefully will not need to replace them again. The lifespan of these LED bulbs are 25,000 hours.

There are many choices for chandelier LED bulbs. Just pick one that will fit into the allotted space that fits your color temperature and wattage requirements.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED-Socket-Adapter-Gallery-E12B-E17.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	54821   Click image for larger version

Name:	017801998306.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	54822  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

nice little project !
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Richard,
Great discovery! I'll be doing the same. Thanks.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice, I have the same model. If only I could figure out how to access the bulbs "inside" the unit itself. I like to watch the water boil you know?
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I can't help you on that as mine is still working after 13 years.

Maybe there are instructions in the Sharp manual.

http://031d26d.namesecurehost.com/mw...0_r1851_sm.pdf

http://031d26d.namesecurehost.com/mw..._r1852a_sm.pdf

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a nice solution. At first, from the title, "Microwave 40 Watt Bulbs Converted to LED's" I thought you were replacing the bulb inside the microwave and I was curious to see how a LED light would behave with all the microwave radiation. Many years ago my wife put a mug with gold leaf on it in the microwave. It was quite a light show and not an action to be repeated!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey thanks for the manual links, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately to replace the inside bulb it would require open heart surgery. Take it off the wall, remove the skin....

Guess I'll resort to a flashlight till I get fed up with it. This rv has been sitting most of it's life, '98 with 32K miles, so I really dont want to provoke it. LOL
scep is offline   Reply With Quote