RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

Mid 90s motorhomes...Fords or Chevys

this has probably been debated over and over again on this site, but I'm looking to buy a mid 90s class A...an upgrade from my current 94 leprachaun...the prices are generally 7-11,000 depending on the coach...so I've been wondering about the engines. is there one that is really any better or more dependable than the others? I've owned chevy trucks, and ford vans all my life, seems like theres always something that needs to be fixed on any of them...but how about power or gas milage...was there one coach in your life that stood out...that you wished you never would have bought, or never should have sold?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #2

I would tend to go Chevy, but it depends. With Fords you are likely to either have the old 460 or the early 6.8 liter V10 engine. The 6.8 as well as the rest of the Mod Motor family of engines suffers from having an Aluminum head with deeply recessed spark plugs held in by few threads. (google it) This means a high chance of expensive engine work if anything goes wrong changing spark plugs, and just hope whoever last changed the spark plugs used anti-seize or else you may rip the threads out of the head trying to unscrew the spark plugs.

On the Chevy / Workhorse Platform the engine options depending on year will be either the Throttle Body 454 while a good engine the basic design dated back to 1969 and converted to Throttle body injection in the mid 80's was getting very long in the tooth by the mid 90's it also only produced 230 HP, it was replaced by the somewhat Improved Vortec 454 in about 96 which put out 290 HP. Then was replaced by the all new much improved 8.1 Vortec with 340HP in 2001.

As to the suspension, both needed a lot of help from aftermarket parts to drive good (sway bars, trac bars, etc.)

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #3

Our 98 Pace Arrow Vision has the chevy 454 with 65,000 miles on it has never had any problems since day one. Starts right up and does what it should! My only complaint is that it is a little gutless out west on the long steep grades. I just put on the flashers and get in the slow lane while enjoying the extra time to enjoy the scenery ... lol.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chevy 454 cid L29 engine starting in 1996 is a solid engine and runs on regular gas (VORTEC 7400). I get 9.5MPG on mine with a 14,400lb motorhome - 8.8MPG when towing a 2500 lb car.
Friend has the Ford V10 - it has had some engine issues and fuel economy was about 6.5 to 7MPG I think.
Ford 460 was a good engine.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One thing to look out for is leaking exhaust manifold gaskets. Both the Fords and Chevy's are prone to this. I had a 95 460 Ford, and it certainly did have the problem, and they were a son-of-a-gun to get to for repair (especially on the drivers side). As far as the engines being good, I think they were both excellent but economy tends to be poor. But, hey, we don't buy a motorhome for economy!

Tags
ford, chevy, motorhome, motorhomes