Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
If you want more info, search on "tag" and you'll see more pro's then con's.

Two comments on items not yet mentioned in this thread:

1) A con, loss of one full bay of storage.

2) A pro, usually the drive axle is shifed forward to let the tag fill the normal space of the drive axle. Resulting in a tighter turning radius. (Our 40' tag with IFS front end. Turns tighter then our 28' Foot Bounder with beam front end.)

Best,
Smitty
Now THAT'S a pro I could get behind right there. Tighter turning radius. Interesting. I would have thought the opposite.

Thanks for the insight there folks. Great information. Glad I went ahead and asked.

castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Castrol,
For the most part all the replies are talking about DP's with a tag axle. Our gas coaches are a different animal. National did add the tag for more weight capacity and without the tag your coach would probably have been over the GVWR when it was built without putting anything in the coach. I don't know what the GVWR of your chassis is, mine is 18,000# the tag adds 2,500# for a total of 20,500# GVWR. The tag on DP's are adjustable by adding air to shift weight front or rear they can also raise the tag up when making sharp turns to prevent dragging the tires in the turn. Our tag can't do either of them because they are mounted with rubber springs.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Castrol,
For the most part all the replies are talking about DP's with a tag axle. Our gas coaches are a different animal. National did add the tag for more weight capacity and without the tag your coach would probably have been over the GVWR when it was built without putting anything in the coach. I don't know what the GVWR of your chassis is, mine is 18,000# the tag adds 2,500# for a total of 20,500# GVWR. The tag on DP's are adjustable by adding air to shift weight front or rear they can also raise the tag up when making sharp turns to prevent dragging the tires in the turn. Our tag can't do either of them because they are mounted with rubber springs.
Yeah, I've been looking at doing a possible move up to a DP but all of the ones I've been looking at are short enough to not need a tag axle. The Holiday Rambler Imperial almost always has a tag and it is a fairly short unit. That's actually what ended up prompting my question... along with a couple of "man I wish I had a tag axle" comments...

After driving the Dolphin again last night though, who knows if we'll ever move up. I love this darn thing so much. It's just bulletproof. It never fails me. Except that damn Generac generator. That thing is the bane of my existence.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
Yeah, I've been looking at doing a possible move up to a DP but all of the ones I've been looking at are short enough to not need a tag axle. The Holiday Rambler Imperial almost always has a tag and it is a fairly short unit. That's actually what ended up prompting my question... along with a couple of "man I wish I had a tag axle" comments...

After driving the Dolphin again last night though, who knows if we'll ever move up. I love this darn thing so much. It's just bulletproof. It never fails me. Except that damn Generac generator. That thing is the bane of my existence.
I agree, National made a quality coach. When we look at new coaches at RV shows we don't see anything we would trade it for. Sure it would be nice to have a newer coach with updated technology. But when I read about all the problems people have with their new coaches, even high ends ones plus the dark wood work, no thanks. Yes, the Generac is only drawback of the coach.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Our tag can't do either of them because they are mounted with rubber springs.
Keep an eye on those rubber springs. I replaced mine on my 2000 Dolphin, right before selling the coach, and they were both shot.
Also, had both upper shock mounts break off, one at a time. Possibly because the springs were shot and putting extra strain on the shocks.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're new to a tag axle coach and I really love it. "Moxy" and "Smitty77" bring up two good points that are often missed in the tag axle discussion. The additional set of brakes is huge. We previously had a 36' 2005 Monaco Diplomat. Our new coach is only 3' longer, but weighs 5000 pounds more and stops substantially better. Part of that is front disc brakes.

Our new coach also turns sharper than our 3' shorter Diplomat. The coach is rock sold and doesn't move, no matter what the conditions.

The only downside is the loss of storage space with the tag, but would buy another tag in an instant.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Keep an eye on those rubber springs. I replaced mine on my 2000 Dolphin, right before selling the coach, and they were both shot.
Also, had both upper shock mounts break off, one at a time. Possibly because the springs were shot and putting extra strain on the shocks.
I replaced mine last year, they weren't shot but where starting to show cracks. Really improved the ride and handling. As mentioned the additional brakes on the tag do help, even with four wheel disc brakes on the Ford chassis.

Chuck