Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Might be a dumb question... Tag axle

What's the benefit?

I see having to fit two additional tires when the time comes. More to keep up with. More to maintain. What's the actual purpose of the tag axle? Some people I see seem to think it's awesome to have a coach with a tag.

Help me out. Don't hurt me.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Really? You have never seen a dump truck with a couple extra axles and could not guess what they are for?

So they can haul more weight, more axles spreads the weight out on the vehicle.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Really? You have never seen a dump truck with a couple extra axles and could not guess what they are for?

So they can caul more weight, more axles spreads the weight out on the vehicle.
But that's the only reason? Do people WANT to carry more weight in their RV? I guess I just never thought about that before. I've always been one to find ways to shave off weight... not just distribute it better. Interesting.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Once a coach gets over 40', it really carries too much weight on the rear axle for just a set of tandem wheels. The larger size tires have a maximum of around 6,000 lbs per tire in a tandem application (for a total of 24,000 lbs) which would be under what the "big boys" carry in the back.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
It has more to due with weight distribution. then the ability to carry more weight. You'll find TAG axles on units over 41', with units that long you need an additional weight carrying point due to the length of the frame, and the amount of overhang behind the rear axle thus the TAG.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Until recently, you were limited to 20,000 pounds on any given axle. Especially over 40' it's not hard to get there, especially in coaches with granite floors, etc. Even in my nice but basic coach, I am close to 18,000 pounds on my rear axle with full fuel/water/stuff -- and not being full timers, our basement storage is actually quite empty (as in, you could probably sleep two small kids down there if they misbehaved )

Steve
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The weight is certainly the big thing... but, although I don't own one, I've read many owners report that they are a dream to drive... holding their line on the road effortlessly.

I'll bet that most owners of tag units don't think of their rigs as "recreational vehicles" to take on weekend escapes. They're fully outfitted living quarters and the owners don't want to have to worry about shaving weight or redistributing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Chassis stability, weight distribution, higher weight capacity, higher towing capacity and it looks cool ;o). The tag makes it a dream to drive, very smooth and not affected by semi trucks, wind or road issues.

Most rigs up to 40ft will be over-loaded in short order due to the weight of the rig, fluids and owner items and it doesn't take much. With a tag, that same weight is now distributed over a larger surface thus its safer and less stress on the chassis components. Safety is key for me.

My rig has the ability to carry 10,000 lbs and tow 15,000 lbs. I can bring what ever I want without having to leave something behind. My loaded enclosed trailer is loaded with motorcycles, kayaks, car, bicycles and and other needed items totaling 8000 lbs for my long trips.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #9

In my case I didn't get a unit with the tag. Now I'd like to mount a lift to carry my Harley but I'm already too heavy on the back so not an option for me. It does limit you as to what you can and can't carry or hook up to.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
What's the benefit?

I see having to fit two additional tires when the time comes. More to keep up with. More to maintain. What's the actual purpose of the tag axle? Some people I see seem to think it's awesome to have a coach with a tag.

Help me out. Don't hurt me.
If ya don't ask you will never know, tag does add substantial payload including tongue weight for larger trailers, it adds an extra set of brakes, an extra set of wheels on soft ground, the thing I like the most is the stability, it is nite and day from my single rear axle pusher, you really need to drive one for a few hours to appreciate them.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

It makes for a smoother ride with better handling and stability. We are full timers carrying a lot of stuff I'm not quite ready to give up (stainless steel Panini press, 6 Qt crockpot for the 2 of us, kitchen gadgets that I forgot I even owned until we sold our home....you know, essentials...lol. And it really does look cool, huh?
Diesel Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Drives and rides great. I've owned a 39' coach and now for the past couple of years my tag. Difference at the end of day for a senior citizen is energy left for happy hour.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As of others have stated, the stability of driving, wind drafts, and cross wind handling is not comparable in my opinion compared to my 40' non tag. I also feel more comfortable in braking situations with the extra set of brakes.

I am only a part timer RVer, but I also pull a 10K GVW trailer and you don't even feel the thing behind it other than acceleration.

It also allows the extra carrying capacity, tongue weight, and towing capacity as other pointed out.

Yes you have 2 more tires, on mine about $650 each, so $1,300 over 7 years is $185 annually, which for the added benefits is a small price to pay in my opinion.

I pulled same trailer with my 40' non tag, but I didn't realize what I was missing until I actually owned the tag, and the improved ride is also a nice benefit.

Good luck on your discovery process.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #14

If you want more info, search on "tag" and you'll see more pro's then con's.

Two comments on items not yet mentioned in this thread:

1) A con, loss of one full bay of storage.

2) A pro, usually the drive axle is shifed forward to let the tag fill the normal space of the drive axle. Resulting in a tighter turning radius. (Our 40' tag with IFS front end. Turns tighter then our 28' Foot Bounder with beam front end.)

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote