Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

mildew question

I am new to this forum and have a question and wondering if this has happened to anyone else's coach. I have an Itasca Horizon 2006 and on the ceiling above the sink I have noticed some dimpling spots. They have started to discolor which I think is moisture inside. We haven't had rain in awhile so I thought this problem wasn't serious, but these spots are getting worse, now I am thinking condensation build up above the ceiling. It is coming from above the ceiling because I can't wipe the spots off! Would love to know if this has happened to any of you and if so how do I fix it?
Thanks in advance for any help.
peggyhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appears there may be water intrusion from above. Unfortunately it may not be leaking at this exact spot. Water can and does flow to the point of least resistance. Open any cabinets to check along with roof seam evaluation. A through inspection should be performed as this may be the tip of the ice berg, so to speak. Hopefully another member has your coach and can offer greater insight? Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
have you been running the rooftop air conditioners? The rooftop AC's are often the source of ceiling water leaks. It can be from the condensate or from water coming through the gasket/sealer surrounding the AC mounts. Please let us know what you do find.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

No rooftop a/c's on a 2006 Horizon. Basement air.

Have the sealants checked on the roof around all vents, TV and radio antenna, etc. Also check the front/rear cap seams on the coach, clearance lights, any protrusion thru the roof and front caps. Then the seams along the roof edge where the awning rail tucks in, both sides.

There is probably a leak from one of these areas from the roof, which is migrating to where you're seeing the spot on the roof.

Once it's sealed, the area should dry out, and the ceiling material can be cleaned to remove the stain.

First order -- find the leak and fix it.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

our ac is in the basement
peggyhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

I agree w/above post. Probably a roof leak which can be anywhere. I used Eternabond to fix my roof leaks. It is a miracle product for RV roof leaks and repairs!!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote