Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Mileage and resale consideration - Gasser

OK I know don't buy an RV and worry about resale ( I should know I just took a good beating on a toyhauler sale) - that being said we want a late model class A gasser. One thing that concerns me is that I see that some of the bigger lenders will not finance a gasser with mileage over 60K? I am not worrying about me financing it but the next buyer. I think we will put between 7-10K miles a year on the unit as we take long trips. So immediately I am thinking any thing with about 20K or more miles on it might be out of the question if we want to keep it for a while. Also you have the age limit of 10 yrs to deal with..

Is there a general theory on when to dump a MH so you can attract buyers that need financing?

I find it interesting that on RVT and RVtrader you rarely see gas units with mileage over about 60K for sale?
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Two years ago we purchased a 2004 National SeaBreeze 8321LX 86500 miles on it financing was easy at a FCU so really can’t say if a rule would apply at a FCU or any CU for that matter My all depend on ones credit
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #3

Back around 2005 we financed a 2000 MH with 105,000 miles on it. Price reflected milage. I suspect dealers can get financing on things private parties might have a problem with.

I don't care what kind of engine is involved. I think financing and sales get tough when getting close to 100,000 miles. It seems to be a mental block as the engines all last significantly longer than that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

As ref - just using the Good Sam guidelines
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If that's the case I guess I'm stuck with my 12 year old 65,000 mile coach until a cash buyer comes along.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Terms of the Loans make a difference. A CU may loan on the higher miles but in My looking its a 5 year max or maybe 7 year loan term not the long term 15+ year RV loan some buyers want. Before anyone goes you shouldn't borrow that long a term, which i Might agree with, It does narrow down the buying pool, as the financing becomes more restricted. That in my mind will lower the selling price. Same thing with Service contracts that realistically can't be bought on anything over 100,000 miles

for Anything over 10 years it will be harder to sell as financing is not on the RV as much as the buyer. even at that length of loan will be restricted to just a few years. At least thats what I found out as I talked to lenders 3-4 years ago.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #7

looking at adds - I see a lot of 5 year old rigs with around 30K on them. Maybe they know something.

Its kind of funny - I have a higher tiered boat that is actually gaining value as I bought it at the bottom of the market and the crazy inflation rate of boats has made it almost an investment LOL. I don't see that happening in the RV world..
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #8

A year and a half ago, I paid cash for our 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire DP with 89k miles to live in full-time. There are cash buyers out there for older well built coaches in great condition. Owning a quality coach free and clear is a great feeling and not to be underestimated as a motivation for potential buyers. I don't have any intention of selling our great coach, but if I did, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a buyer.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Good point
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
A year and a half ago, I paid cash for our 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire DP with 89k miles to live in full-time. There are cash buyers out there for older well built coaches in great condition. Owning a quality coach free and clear is a great feeling and not to be underestimated as a motivation for potential buyers. I don't have any intention of selling our great coach, but if I did, I wouldn't worry too much about finding a buyer.
A 400ISL ain't no gasser either!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
OK I know don't buy an RV and worry about resale ( I should know I just took a good beating on a toyhauler sale) - that being said we want a late model class A gasser. One thing that concerns me is that I see that some of the bigger lenders will not finance a gasser with mileage over 60K? I am not worrying about me financing it but the next buyer. I think we will put between 7-10K miles a year on the unit as we take long trips. So immediately I am thinking any thing with about 20K or more miles on it might be out of the question if we want to keep it for a while. Also you have the age limit of 10 yrs to deal with..

Is there a general theory on when to dump a MH so you can attract buyers that need financing?

I find it interesting that on RVT and RVtrader you rarely see gas units with mileage over about 60K for sale?
Beauty is ALWAYS in the eyes of the beholder... no matter how many miles you have on your rig. The better the layout is (we all have our own ideas of better) the more marketable it will be. Example: If the interior has been modified dramatically out of the so called standard layouts of that type of RV's configuration, it's resale-ability will be thusly also "modified." And typically to the negative - fewer buyers and lower offers.

But yes, it is an absolute fact that the more mileage you have on your coach, the less you'll sell it for and the fewer the buyer's it will attract. Irregardless of the fact that our modern day diesels will run 500k miles or more without a major tuneup or overhaul. But it is the automotive industry mentality creeping into the RV industry. Think about this: Which are you more interested in: 1. A five year old vehicle with 20,000 miles; or 2. A similar vehicle with 89,000 miles?

Although, I will absolutely agree with the premise that you should be concerned - or at least reasonable aware - of "that rigs current market trends." It will hopefully be somewhat of an indication of what to expect if you actually have some consideration of your holding-period; how long before you'll upgrade or get out of RVing completely.

All comments point to your first priority being your comfort with whatever you buy: 1. It's layout - to your needs; 2. It's affordability - to your economic situation; 3. It's resalability - if you're NOT planning on a long term hold.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, sale