Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1

Mileage Check

Hi Folks:
First trip with my new to me Class A motorhome. It was a shakedown in preparation for the "Big Departure" this Winter. Bottom line everything worked great but the driver's seat killed my back. It is a Flexsteel unit not some random junk but it provides zero support for the small of my back. ...and I have never had any back problems and certainly none while driving or riding in a vehicle. I'll fix that issue if I have to throw it out onto the lawn and install a new one.

Ok, mileage:
2002 36' Coachmen on a Freightliner with a Cummins ISB 5.9 in an XC chassis full fresh water load but lightly loaded with equipment. (basement was almost empty).

Maine secondary roads and diesel generator used on site for 3 days yielded 7.1 MPG.

The big surprise was heading home with highway only mileage of 11.1 MPG. I kept the cruise on 57 MPH and it fluctuated between 55 climbing hills and 59-60 going down.

Again strictly highway 269 miles from Waterville, ME to West Springfield, MA.

Hell, my old Corvette gets 15 and I can't even go to the bathroom in it. Well, I suppose could...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That 11.1 sounds pretty impressive.

What kind of MH are we talking about here? You might want to add the year, make and model of your coach in your signature line so others can quickly see what kind of coach you have.

Best of luck with the seat.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #3

thats great ; the secret is in the right foot. Friend of mine has a 60 vette and it is gorgeous. Yes he actually drives it also.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Hi Folks:
First trip with my new to me Class A motorhome. It was a shakedown in preparation for the "Big Departure" this Winter. Bottom line everything worked great but the driver's seat killed my back. It is a Flexsteel unit not some random junk but it provides zero support for the small of my back.
In FRY's Electronics yesterday and noticed a small "pad" that would fix your problem... It sat in the seat at the "small of the bacK" and had a 12V plug which operated both heat and vibration.
I DO have back problems and the SAME seat. After playing with the adjustments for an hour or so, no problem for the last 20,000 miles...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

60vette....turn that cruise off while in hilly terrain...let the coach roll down the hills, so you have more momentum for the next uphill. You will see your MPGs increase. Cruise controls hamper MPG in hilly terrain
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

Others have said it "... if our main concern was fuel milage , we'd be driving a ..."
JMHO.Having, your own bathroom, food preperation, and a known condition/comfort, bed along is well worth the cost of the fuel.
If you take the difference in cost, between an RV site and a hotel room, figure in the savings on your meals, then RV travel days will probably break even with most high mpg vehicles.
Depreciation.. well that's the "Rest of the Story"
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #7

I was in a Walgreen's drug store yesterday and they had lumbar supports for car seats at $10 for two. Looked and felt pretty comfortable in the store. I don't need one, have one of those bead type ($10 at Big Lots) so haven't actually sat on one.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
That 11.1 sounds pretty impressive.

What kind of MH are we talking about here? You might want to add the year, make and model of your coach in your signature line so others can quickly see what kind of coach you have.

Best of luck with the seat.

Rick
Hi Rick:

The year, make and chassis was mentioned in the text but I will put it in my signature block. Good suggestion. I have been hesitant after seeing some folks put their lawnmowers, bowling shoe size and every convention they've attended in the avatar area. Which is fine but not for me.

Damned seat! Very annoying.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

anotherone,
I saw motorhomes passing me had to have been doing 75+.
Hey good for them but I'm retired and in no supreme rush. I am more concerned about damaging my rig by going fast than getting great mileage. I hit a construction area where they had honed the road down in preparation for resurfacing and I nearly went airborn crossing the dip. Can't be doing the interior of the motorhome any good.

Hal and Jim:
I'll try the wedge things for support before I toss the chair but there will be no compromises. Eight and ten hour days in an uncomfortable seat is a deal breaker for me.

SC:
Good tip on the downhill side of the highway - thanks.

Skip:
The most compelling reason I bought a motorhome was the near impossibility of renting a home with my 3 cats. I wanted to spend 3 months in the Keys, on a canal, fishing, exploring the waterways and drinking to excess. I was unable to find a homeowner willing to rent to the 5 of us. I don't blame the owners a bit. Some pet owners can be the most obnoxious, inconsiderate folks when it involves their precious pets (and pain in the ass bratty kids). Incessant barking, cat piss, turds on the beach where Fluffy runs free and etc.
The mileage was a pleasant surprise but way down on the list of importance.

I am grateful to you experienced folks who generously offer your advice and counsel.

60Vette
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Vette View Post
Hi Rick:

The year, make and chassis was mentioned in the text but I will put it in my signature block. Good suggestion. I have been hesitant after seeing some folks put their lawnmowers, bowling shoe size and every convention they've attended in the avatar area. Which is fine but not for me.

Damned seat! Very annoying.
My lawnmower is a really old (like twenty years) Craftsman, green. I only mention it because it gets the same mileage as your MH, right on topic.

Bowling shoe size is the same as my bowling score, which is why I do not list either in my avatar.

We do not get invited to conventions. My wife says it is because I am a smarty pants.

Sorry to hear about your back. I know this sounds strange but I remove my wallet (no it's not that thick) when driving the MH. If I leave it in my back hurts.

The back is a complicated piece of equipment and can be thrown off for the slightest of reasons. Having suffered some of the same I wish you well in finding out why.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #11

hey 60vette,
I grew up in miami and practically lived in the water. Talk about laid back; the keys are as casual as you can get. I have friends there and I will ask about a spot for you , if it exists. Motorhomers dream about being on the water but in reality its hard to find an affordable area down there. If I find out I will pm you.
I found the secret to improved mileage was to simply slow down ; it was painful but I found I enjoyed the trip more and driving was less stressful.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Regarding mileage.

I just spent 2 nights in the woods of No AZ boondocking.

2 nights in a private cabin, fully equipped with hot and cold running everything and a kitchen would be more that the gas used (only 100 mi each way) for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	25122  
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

60Vette,

I have back problems, but by using the adjustments on our flexsteel drivers seat, I can drive ours for 8 hours with no problems. It might take a while, but I suspect if you're willing to spend the time you can find a comfortable seat position. For me it's all the way back, back of seat tilted back to just short of the driver's slide, seat elevation down some, because at 6' 4" I find I need to sit lower than some. Good luck with it.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our Flexsteel seats have air bladders in them for back support, just hit the switch and they are pumped up or air released depending on the switch

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote