Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I posted that 400 miles is achievable in a day without really pushing if that's what you would like to do however in practice we will typically like to be off the road within 300 to 330 miles per day.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rvcrazy said <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I totally agree with Captain Bud. What is the hurry? Isn't RVing supposed to be less stressful?

Most of our trips are very short - less than 200 miles. On longer ones, like Dallas to Yellowstone, we like to get a big chunk of miles behind us the first day and then sorta coast. We just came back from a Dallas to Gaffney, SC trip to have some work done at the Freightliner factory. We had planned to pick our way back but the work took longer than planned and we ended up staying at the plant an extra night. The next day, we drove 600 miles. I wouldn't call that day really stressful (although driving through/around Atlanta is always as stressful as it comes in my book). For the most part, the roads were pretty good and the music blasting from the stereo. That's why we like traveling in the RV better than any passenger vehicle, including our customized Econoline van.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general, we like a 300 mile day, but a 400 is doable. On occassion we will do a 500 mile for a first day. Longest day we have ever done was 650 miles and it was a L-O-N-G day. Felt like a whipped puppy the next day.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
We use to drive 500 per day, then I retired, found a place with water available and "Electric" cheap only 401 miles from home, (this is for Dec/Jan travel to Texas). After that first stop its 250 to 300 per day, in fact we use to drive Branson Mo in a day, last year it took me a week to ge home from "South Branson"!

Bruce and Dyanne
RVDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
Could Petro give me an idea how far south is needed to find open (decent) camps.

Making my solo voyage in late Jan 07 and want 32+ so we don't freeze up.
gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #20
Like Petro said, averaging about 50 mph maybe 55 mph (on Interstate) and then depends on how many hours my rear end can take it - usually around 8-9 hours. On a 2 lane road we're probably generally in the 300-350 miles per day. And all in all it will generally depend on the availability of campgrounds, DW usually reads ahead in the Directory and road map to determine our next stop if we are in unfamiliar territory. We'd rather stop an hour early than beat our tail bones to pieces for 2 extra hours. The main thing is to enjoy being out there.
wagonmaster2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #21
We travel from New Hampshire to Florida. It takes us a MONTH!!

Same thing on the trip back.

JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #22
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
We travel from New Hampshire to Florida. It takes us a MONTH!!

Same thing on the trip back.

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've found road maps cut down on random wandering (just kidding . . . sounds like you're stopping to smell the roses!)
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
Since we full time now, we don't travel as many miles/day. We leave out about 10-11am and try to stop about 3-4pm or even earlier. We are just in no hurry most of the time. Just traveled from Destin, FL to Jackson, TN and it took 3 days.

If I was still working and only had a limited amount of time for a trip, I would probably make more miles/day
2006 Travel Supreme Select 45DL24
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 35" tires, 4" lift
jeeprubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:08 AM   #24
We plan our stops around the campgrounds available. Try to keep distance down tyo about 250-300 miles per day. Leave at 8AM and stop about 3PM, with numerous short stops. Why hurry?
PhilRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #25
Why hurry????

Well, this posting should have a caviot...and that should include whether or not you are RETIRED.

As my wife and I BOTH work, and we have kids, we need to MOVE IT when we get off work, and to get to our destinations, we usually drive 600 miles/day at least.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
Could Petro give me an idea how far south is needed to find open (decent) camps.

Making my solo voyage in late Jan 07 and want 32+ so we don't freeze up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are a couple of campgrounds near St Louis that are open. We have stayed at Clarksville TN.
and Litchfield, IL. Some times the water may be shut off but there will be heated showers available and they will be open for business. We usually figure a line east or west of southern IL. If the temps are 20 above or higher when we leave about 5 AM we fill the water tanks and run the furnace while traveling. We have had no problems with freeze up. When the temps are colder than that we leave the coach winterized until we get in temps above 20. We flush the toilet with RV antifreeze and carry about 10 gallons of water in containers in the shower. If the campground we stay in the first night does not have their water turned on yet we just wait until the 2nd night.

Sorry it took so long to answer but I missed your request.

If you are going south in our area please PM me and I or my DW will give you specifics. We keep a log.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #27
When we head south from Michigan I make the most miles the first day after a good nights sleep in my home bed. We usually shoot for 700 to 800 miles the first day. I can usually get into warm enough weather to flush my water system the first day this way. Once on the road I don't sleep that well in campgrounds until I get a few nights to get use to them. So staying one night I don't get much sleep, after day one 400 miles a day is about my max. Road conditions also are a factor in how many miles a day. I say don't try to out drive your comfort range. When road conditions or driving in general becomes tiring it's time to stop. I've seen us hit snow and ice and only make 225 miles at the most

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
For us, it depends on whether we are heading to a destination, or just going on a trip.

On our last long adventure (6,000 miles) we had to be in Wisconsin by a certain date, so we pushed it a few days--it was very tiring.

On our way home, we had no set date to be back so we only travelled 250 to 300 miles a day, and tried to stay at least 2-3 nights every second stop. We also tried to get off the interstates whenever possible. It was a much more relaxing trip back, and we saw a lot more than blacktop.

2007 Winnebago 26P

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote