Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Why not shut the engine off when you stop??

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
we averaged 10. mpg from east coast to west coast and back. 32 ft. class A with a 496 chev. 8.1, traveling 50-65mph. we are not complaining.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #31

I'm bad about that during the summer months in my DP as I will pull into a rest area and leave it running to keep the dash air going, I guess it is one or the other ,, generator or engine..

Terry
Old 12-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Was 10 mpg from your calculations or from the dash readout?? If from the dash readout that average is only the last 50 miles.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
TO USA2SEA:

Here is the message that I sent to you by E-mail incase you didn't get it:

RE: Towing a PT Cruiser

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser with a manual transmission. The base plate is installed behind the front bumper with the attachment points coming out under the bumper. Two holes were drilled (hole sawed) into the plastic front end under the bumper. This is a Blue Ox tow bar, and nothing protrudes under the bumper. The plug for the lights is attached to the bottom of the front license plate holder. I'll send you a picture if you want.

I have a Brake Buddy with the emergency break away switch attached to the front end as well.

If no one notices the front electrical connection, you would never notice the fact that the tow bar is there.

I custom mounted a gravel shield to the Blue Ox tow bar that came from a different supplier. It is mounted low enough to shield the grill of the car. We have towed the Cruiser over 30,000 miles. That included the Winnebago tour to Alaska this year. The only damage is to the front end below the bumper. Even with the shield in place and a mud and gravel mud flap attached to the Winnebago Brave, there was a lot of stone damage to the paint on the under panel below the bumper. Since it isn't metal, it can't rust, and it just looks like road tar. The other area that was paint nicked was both rear doors where the wheel wells flair out. This was due to stones kicked up by the car during the Alaska tour. The only way that I can see to protect the doors is to install the 3M film on the back doors (expensive) or to install wide mud flaps on the front wheel wells of the car.

In case this doesn't get to you, I'll also post this on the forum.

Let me know if you want more info.

Merry Christmas.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 12-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
re:tom n
start with full tank. set trip meter to 0. keep all gas slips. notate each time trip meter zero's. top off tank at station closest to home. notate trip meter. do the math. if you have kept your right foot off the floorboards and allowed the speed demons to blaze away uphill you too can get 10mpg from a stock 496.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks, I know how to calculate gas mileage.

I can't get 10. I have a 5.86 rear end ratio and a few more pounds than you. You have a 4.88 ratio if you have 19 inch tires.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:51 AM   #36

To; Alarm Guy'

I have an 02 41' dp with 400 hp ISL. Because of many tax audits in the past re' business expenses I have kept up the process I used back then, here it is.

I personally man the pump or stand right next to attendant if not able , allowed, to do myself, I would say I do it 95% of the time.

I use a calculator to determine all numbers ,go into the 100ths,ie, 9.53..

When I'm filling up I do so slowly because of the diesel foaming. I don't get below a half tank, 75 gals., because it would take forever, never use the automatic pump handle nor does attendant use it.

I fill to fuel shows at top of fillpipe, not foam, I stop, if fuel is still visible, it's full.

I tow aa 96 Sunfire, 2900 lbs.

Now the important stuff !!

SPEED, is the key. I have learned after driving this coach almost 20,000 miles that I must use cruise control WHENEVER possible, if not this baby takes it's head and when I look down, I've got the needle pinned at 85, don't know actual speed because speedo stops at 85.

When driving between 58-62 mph I get 9.7 mpg
" " " 62-65 " " : 8.5 "

Mpg drops as speed increases.

I use only sythetics in engine and tranny, they say this helps mpg, it did in my Fords

I guess what the solution to better mpg is to allow time to smell the roses when you're traveling in your RECREATIONAL VEHICLE, you're not going to a fire.

Besides, you'll be better company for your co-pilot and also less tired when stopping.
Don't like the price of fuel, try not passing anybody, but keep up with reasonable traffic flow..

Thanks----- AJBJRVERS
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Last trip in the fall: Filled at Ashland, VA, drove to Newburgh, NY towing a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with the generator runing two A/C units non-stop and with 1 stop at the Maryland House on I-95 for dinner. Filled up at Newburgh. Results 400.1 miles, 50.00 gallons exactly. I'd say that's right at 8.0 mpg. I too, am not complaining.
RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Since the engine rebuild we've driven 2000 miles. Break-in tank was 7.1 MPG The last three tanks have been 7.9 8.1 and 7.9 -- all without the car in tow.

Mac
Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #39

What was your reason for the rebuild. A 10 year old MH would normally have under 60,000 miles and that is short of overhual unless there were serious problems.

Just redoing the engine won't necessarily improve mileage. Whatever it gave when brand new is all you can expect .
Old 01-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
What was your reason for the rebuild. A 10 year old MH would normally have under 60,000 miles and that is short of overhual unless there were serious problems.

Just redoing the engine won't necessarily improve mileage. Whatever it gave when brand new is all you can expect . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gordon,

The main purpose of the rebuild wasn't to improve fuel economy; however, as a "fringe benefit" I did hope for (and obtained) a slight improvement. It had a variety of problems, the worst of which was a burned valve.

We traded off a little in fuel economy when we selected the camshaft grind, which we chose for maximum power with stock computer programming, and a modified exhaust system.

We had 74k on it when rebuilt. We put about 16k on it ourselves since August 2004. We're fulltiming, and we travel a lot. Likely we'll put on another 10k minimum each year, and plan to keep it for a long, long time.

Here's a link to our web blog for the complete rebuild story.

Mac
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #41

After reading the repair data I think you made some wise choices.

Seems you found a really good shop .....and that ain't easy.

Happy motoring.....gord
Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #42

We get between 5.75 and 6.5 mpg at 65-70 mph. Funny it seems to get better mileage with the generator going and both A/C's running