Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
Mind made up....I think.

Going tomorrow to check out a 2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31 SA and if it works out we more than likely will make the purchase as long as we get a good price. Does everyone have jitters when thinking of making a puchase on this scale? MSRP is more than what my house was, nerves may be kicking in soon and I hope I don't balk at it when the time comes. Are there any suggestions out there to help me get through this? I believe I read a post out there that the guy felt like throwing up during and after the buying process, scares the hell out of me. Someone help me survive this, please.
I keep thinking maybe a less expensive unit would be easier now but not in the long run.

rodallg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our class A it was a lot of money for us.

However, 10 years, 80,000 miles and 48 states later we decided it was a very good decision. We'd do it over again.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you done your price shopping with both local and non-local Tiffin dealers to get a sense of what type of discounts that you might be able to get off of MSRP?

The only time that I felt ill on a purchase (in this case a car) was when I bought with my emotions versus my brain.
2015 Newmar Dutch Star - 4018 (ISL 450hp)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Cody (Australian Shepherd puppy)
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Always let common sense lead the way,you can save boatloads of cash by buying exactly what you want first,trading these beasts in is never a good thing,financially. Take your time,listen to your gut,first time you go camping,sick feeling will go away,good luck,let us know how you made out.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
There has been several purchasing related threads running in the Tiffin section of this website. I suggest you read those first. I'll be happy to give you a few tips, however.
1. Get a current price sheet - this one has been compiled by a board member here: 2016 Tiffin Pricing

2. You should be able to get at least 25% off MSRP and up to 28% is not that uncommon.

3. Don't be afraid to place a factory order for a new one. You get what you want, and it is more profitable for the dealer as it doesn't hit his floorplan loan, and you get your 25% off. Downside, 8-10 weeks for delivery.

4. If you have a trade, don't discuss it until after you have a firm cash price for the unit. And don't fall for dealer addons (paint protection for example).

5. If you don't mind travelling a bit, there are some Tiffin dealers who are just easier to deal with than others: Sherman RV, Sherman, MS; Davis Motorhomes, Memphis, TN; and Martin Ingram RV, Birmingham, AL.
Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Why not buy used?
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Made up mind?

We bought a Tiffin 36LA in May of2014. I am still working out problems related to QC. Really was disappointed in assembly and QC. The dealer was awful at most repairs and we wasted 9 weeks messing with them. If you want to find out who not to go to for your new unit get in touch with me. Also be careful they do not try to add a delivery and PDI fee after you reach a negotiated price. Our dealer very conveniently added on both after we ordered our unit from the show at an "out the door price". From what I hear Davis and Sherman are reputable.
Another thing; I will buy our next motorhome based on where the factory is since serious problems most likely can't be handled by dealers ie: slides, air conditioning(chassis) and roof cracks and more. We are in Western PA so I would rather travel to Indiana than Red Bay. Just things you might want to consider.
The floor plans seem to be copied from one manufacture to another. For instance Fleetwood has a unit almost identical to our LA and our friends have a Fleetwood and had to use factory service do to dealer failure. He told me the factory service was the best he has had and was really impressed with them. Newmar the same.
Tiffin can make a good motorhome. Ours has had problems. Good Luck
HGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #8
Ok after a lot of looking lately we made the deal today on a 2015 Tiffin Allegro Open road 31 SA and will be picking it up next Saturday. Every time I looked at them I was so impressed at the quality of the materials and the build. Can't wait for Saturday to get here
rodallg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's only normal to have jitters, but once you make the plunge, all that's left is to go out and enjoy the new MH. Buyer remorse can really weight on someone. My only suggestion is once you make the decision one way or another, no more second guessing yourself. Plan some trips and make a list of things you want to take with you. Concentrate on making every trip the best. Having fun sure makes spending all that money easier to swallow. ENJOY>>>>

Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote