Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #15

Battery watering system

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
As I see it, it's not so much, what it does for the batteries, it what benefits us, as the owner/operators get from the mineral oil. The oil cuts down on the sulfation of the plates and prevents or at least minimizes the "gassing" of the batteries. The gassing is what causes the acid built-up on the posts, wiring and the battery hold-downs, plus any metals around the batteries. The acid will eat thru the paint and reduce the metals to nothing, if left unchecked. The acid ate thru all my battery hold-down clamps and I had to replace everyone, at a cost of over $60.00.

I added mineral oil to my batteries over a year ago and have had no battery acid corrosion issues since. I also added the automatic water filling system and have had to add very little water since. I was having to clean the corrosion with bi-carb-soda, frequently, but now only spray water on the batteries, to wash off the dirt.
A heads up on battery watering systems if you have newer Interstate 4D-XHD house batteries. See post 3 in this thread.
Batteries

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #16

In my experience if:
1. Your battery charger settings are correct.
2. Your batteries are not overcharging.
3. You do not over fill your batteries.
mineral oil is not useful, (and may be harmful ?).

My original 4 12V house batteries lasted 11 years, (over 75k miles).
The replacements are now 6 years old.

I've always checked the electrolyte level every 3 months, but I only need to add water every 6-9 months.

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (105k mine).

Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #17

curious to know if anyone uses mineral oil in the starting battery. mine is an 8D by deka (same as my house batteries, to be changed out with 6v deep cycle ones soon).
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
curious to know if anyone uses mineral oil in the starting battery. mine is an 8D by deka (same as my house batteries, to be changed out with 6v deep cycle ones soon).
I did them all. All batteries can gas and corrosion can occur. Mine all sit together so what's good for the goose is good for the gander. No corrosion and they have not lost any water in over a year now. They have been saved and now are maintenance free.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Suggest reading this attachment that talks about the difference between Deep Cycle and Starting Batteries. They are designed for specific applications.

Deep cycle battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #20

The mineral oil has nothing to do with the chemistry of the charge-discharge cycle. Mineral oil is an organic compound and will do nothing except float around on top.

It will reduce the loss of water from evaporation. Not evaporation solely from just sitting there, but by being carried out when electrolyte is out gassing.

Mineral oil emulsified in the acid? Not likely. Could be a problem if the level gets so low that the oil covers the plates, just put more water in.

If it works in your application why not?
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Look at the wisdom of the elder Edison. He had some very crude cases for his batteries. Yet, mineral oil was a preferred treatment for the effects of gassing on the surrounding metal components. That is the only thing it will do and does not harm the function of the battery in any manner. How more clear can the link I posted be? I'm not asking for you to believe or trust me. Trust Edison. He was and is a whole bunch wiser than I am.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #22

Even with the hottest summer on record, my level didn't drop at all.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Been on the road now for 3 1/2 months. Just tried to put water in the batteries and they are still full! Only some dust in the battery compartment -- no signs at all of any corrosion. This was one of the best ideas I came across while perusing this website. Highly recommend it.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are two pictures of my batteries after four years with mineral oil in them and NEVER having been cleaned. They lasted one month short of 10 years and even then were doing fine, just that we were headed out on a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road. Batteries were OEM in 2002, oil was added in 2004 and pictures were taken in 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	46582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	46583  

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #25

If you buy new batteries, do you have to remove acid/water before adding mineral oil? Or do just wait till the first time you add water and substitute the oil??
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
I took out 4 ounces of acid from the battery (6 volt) and replaced with 4 ounces of mineral oil. I kept the acid for refill when necessary. I still have most of the acid, as they haven't needed much in the way of refill. Used an old turkey baster to remove the acid and a half gallon plastic milk carton to store and carry with me.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #27

Thermoil

Here is a store bought product. I don't know anything about it just saw it advertised. Probably nothing more than Mineral Oil.

Thermoil.com - Up to 3 times Longer Battery Life! Guaranteed.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #28

Mineral oil is a major ingredient in 3-in-1 oil.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote