Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #29

Is there any danger of battery damage if the level of the electrolyte drops below the tops of the plates, (thereby contaminating the top of the plates with mineral oil)?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Is there any danger of battery damage if the level of the electrolyte drops below the tops of the plates, (thereby contaminating the top of the plates with mineral oil)?
Mel
'96 Safari
Simular to a question I have about this venture. I have done it once with the older batteries that were on the MH. A story within itsself as I got cable messed up, but nevertheless I remember I had the thought that I was removing a significant amount of battery fluid to make room for MO. I now have new battery and I question the removal of 4 joz per cell of battery fluid. I have installed the Pro-Fil system so loss of water is a minimum anyway. did many of you, actually do this to new batteries. I see the idea behind the function but I have mentioned this to a number of folks who should be in the know and they seem to never have heard of the mineral oil addition....certainly plenty of reading on irv2 though and I trust great information, advice, and help here. Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Last year, when I purchased four new 6 volts, I thought the same....that I would have to remove the acid in each cell, before I put the MO in. However, I just added the MO and there must have been room, because I didn't have to.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just waited til the level was down some and added the mineral oil. Also did it to my new Interstate GC-2's last year with the same results: less maintenance needed and no corrosion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #33

Thermoil is probably what Michelin briefly re-badged as their own battery life extender.

Sewing machine oil is probably the same.

There's also a $19.95 automotive finish product called Wipe New. Probably nothing more than Zep or RMP3 in a tiny bottle.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #34

I wonder who decided it should be 4 oz for a 6 volt

Old 09-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I wonder who decided it should be 4 oz for a 6 volt
Good ?
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #36

It works, if that's what you're asking.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It works, if that's what you're asking.
I agree totally have it in mine the question how did the amount you put in each cell come about ?
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #38

Maybe that original battery life extender that came out years ago, used that amount.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
How much MO. That's been answered. All you are doing is preventing the air from making contact with the electrolyte. Lets see: 12OZ bottle of MO and 6 cells (12-V) that's 12 divided by 6 = 2-OZ / cell. Now 6-V 3 cells 12 divided by 3 = 4-OZ. . That's how the amount was determined. If you placing a layer of MO the thickness is not really to important.

Now does it work??? I wouldn't have a clue. I do know this much. If it was of some benefit I believe B+'s would come from the factory with MO in them. Will it do any harm. Perhaps if the plates become exposed because of water loss the MO might interact or at least coat the plates.

ALL B+'s gas. During the normal charging and discharging H and O are lost because the water breaks down. There is a reason why you only ever add water to a B+. That's because it breaks down and is gassed off and passes out through the MO to the outside. I had a professor who told us that one should expect to loose about 1-OZ of water in a battery for every 1,000 miles of driving. I don't know if that was true then or even now.

Will it do any good???? I really doubt it. It's been my experience, (40 years of it) that if you keep the water filled (distilled if your water has a lot of iron in it), annually clean the surface with warm water and baking soda which neutralizes the sulfuric acid, keep the terminals clean, usually the B+s will last just about 59 months on a 60 month B+ and 74 months on a 75 month B+.

TeJay
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Will it do any good???? I really doubt it. It's been my experience, (40 years of it) that if you keep the water filled (distilled if your water has a lot of iron in it), annually clean the surface with warm water and baking soda which neutralizes the sulfuric acid, keep the terminals clean, usually the B+s will last just about 59 months on a 60 month B+ and 74 months on a 75 month B+.

TeJay
See post #24 for your answers, pictures included.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
I live off grid and have 16 L-16 batteries costing well above $3500. My solar advisor said not to use mineral oil or any other additive until after the warranty period was passed. (In fact he said he'd never add mineral oil to any battery but that would start a heated discussion since so many members have had good success with the mineral oil) So I'd think if you have batteries still under warranty you might want to hold off on adding mineral oil or other "additive" to avoid any warranty problem. Just a thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #42

TeJay, I know that you're calling a battery a B+, but where did that come from? The mineral oil I bought from Safeway came in a 16 oz bottle. Why not 3 oz per cell? Who's idea was it to use 4 oz?

If the journey to my destination is bumpy and MO gets on the top of the plates, will it hurt the batteries?