Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #57

just like others questioned the 4 oz mo for each cell of 6v b+, i would think that is too much. if just to prevent from gassing out, shouldn't a few drops of mo to cover up the open surface be enough? please help convince me 4 oz necessary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
The surface of the cell on a 6 volt battery is quite large. i dont have one near me currently but I'm sure someone can due the math. If the surface you were trying to cover was just the size of the cap then sure a few drops would be enough. I'm just guessing but 4 oz in a 6 volt cell is only a 1/4 inch deep.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #59

I don't know how thick it is either, but just guessing that it has to be thick enough to sufficiently dampen the bubbling during a vigorous or equilazation charge.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
I realize that some have said that the use of MO has reduced evaporation and helped reduce the corrosion around the outside of their B+'s. That's great. I am always willing to learn and open to new ideas but 1, 2, 3, or even 10 individuals who achieved good results is not enough for me to try it.

The exchange of air is essential for a standard wet cell B+ to function. Even sealed B+'s still have a vent. Perhaps the MO reduces the bubbles to very tiny ones and that reduces the corrosion effect I don't know. I believe if it were that good some B+ manufacturer would come out with it as part of their B+ and maybe charge you more.

Some people put black pepper in their radiator to stop leaks. I heard that it works. Some even put magnets around their fuel lines to improve fuel mileage. Our school district spent $14,000 to do it on 70 school buses. The administration would never lower themselves to ask their automotive instructor. One simple phone call and I would have only charged them $5,000 for an experts true opinion and they would have saved $9,000.
You're correct. I'm bitter about that one. Because they didn't think enough of my opinion to ask they just wasted $14,000.

TeJay
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay
The exchange of air is essential for a standard wet cell B+ to function. Even sealed B+'s still have a vent. Perhaps the MO reduces the bubbles to very tiny ones and that reduces the corrosion effect I don't know. I believe if it were that good some B+ manufacturer would come out with it as part of their B+ and maybe charge you more.
You are exactly right, TeJay, the MO reduces the size of the bubbles and prevents an explosive (tiny to be sure) event when the gaseous bubbles burst at the surface of the electrolyte. That reduces the spray of corrosive acids, mixed with air, that could, under the right atmospheric conditions escape the cell and accumulate on the metals on the top of the battery. That's basically all it does.

The science is sound, and the use of MO has been around, as mentioned, since Edison.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Note to all the skepticals out there..........IT WORKS. I did my (4)four Interstate 6 volts and no more slobbering.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #63

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Note to all the skepticals out there..........IT WORKS. I did my (4)four Interstate 6 volts and no more slobbering.
See post #24 for pictures of my 4 Interstate U-2200 batteries after 4 years of never having been cleaned. Still using the original battery tie down straps that came on the rig 11+ years ago too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
I put MO in my 4 house batteries last year. The coach is 2003 and I bought it 2 years ago. after the addition of MO it used no water till about 1 month ago, I was checking levels and they had all lost alittle. I got out the hydrometer and checked each cell and found one cell bad,,,very bad, it was causing the charging system to charge at a higher rate I guess and was gassing all the batteries. When I took them in(Interstates 6V) they told me they were 2002 batteries(coach was built late 2002). Guess thats pretty good, they had givin me no trouble and I had checked them with a hydrometer twice a year, along with voltage. The only thing negitive I can say about MO is it does foul up the hydometer and I would have to take it apart and clean it it when the float would start sticking.
John G.
CJScepter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #65

Quote:
wondering how much mo did you put into each cell of 6v b+?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
See post #24 for pictures of my 4 Interstate U-2200 batteries after 4 years of never having been cleaned. Still using the original battery tie down straps that came on the rig 11+ years ago too.
I should post pictures of mine............You could eat off the tops of the batteries.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #67

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
wondering how much mo did you put into each cell of 6v b+?
I siphoned out the acid to the tops of the plates with a turkey baster. Measured and added 4oz. in each cell. Then topped up with acid/water back to the bottom of the ring.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #68

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I should post pictures of mine............You could eat off the tops of the batteries.
Sorry, not even going to consider eating off the tops of ANY battery!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #69

Quote:
I siphoned out the acid to the tops of the plates with a turkey baster. Measured and added 4oz. in each cell. Then topped up with acid/water back to the bottom of the ring.
thanks for the info. i am hesitating on siphoning out portion of acid prior to adding mo. 4oz is not a small amount; reducing acid = reducing ah. but at the same time, i have to believe it works considering so many success stories. wondering if anyone has tried to use less amount of mo, say 1 oz?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I used 2 oz. of MO. I really didn't know how old my batteries were but thought they could be originals,(and they were) I will say corrosion wasn't very bad but the previous owner took care of things pretty well. I thought I would try the MO and do believe it works well.
John G.

CJScepter is online now   Reply With Quote