Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #99

No excuse. If your batteries lose to much electrolyte and the plates get exposed, they have everything to gain.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #100

Our batteries will be two years old in July. When the rig was new I removed two oz from each battery, as they were full. They were still above the plates, as two oz is not much. Then put a good 2 oz oil back in each cell. 6 cells on all three batteries, two house and one coach, as these are twelve volt batteries. Then topped back up with a little water, which was very little as they were full to start with. I probably overfilled by a oz or two. Now almost two years later I have not had to add a drop of water, as they stay full and I have no corrosion anywhere. These batteries are plugged in 24-7 when not on the road, which has not been much as of late. I know it works, as I am living proof. and I have not noticed any power loss. I can run the furnace and lights and two or three tvs all night long in 18* temps and not have a power failure. Run geny a hour in the morning and the batteries run everything all day long. Run the geny a hour in the evening and were good for all night again. And we only have the big high output 5 amp solar panel that come standard on most Newmar rigs. Solar is not for me as long as there is gasoline at a pump. go green with gasoline, and formaldehyde in the tank (black) for no stank. Have you hugged you tree today?
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #101

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know how I missed this thread...but glad it started up again.

I put ThermOil in our house batteries because I was having terrible corrosion problems with the batt storage area. I checked the MH's EMS and the inverter/charger was doing it's thing correctly. I remember one of my Uncles told me about an old railroad trick of putting mineral oil in their batteries to minimize acid corrossion. I put the oil in over 4 years ago.

The last time I cleaned, neautralized and painted the MH's batt compartment, I charged all 4 6V batteries and with a hydrometer, checked each cell before I added the ThermOil (as they recommended 4oz per cell)and refilled the fluid level to 1/8th of an inch from the fill tube(also as they recommended).

Unlike others in this thread, I've had to top off battery levels maybe once every 3-4 months. A year ago, I failed to keep up with the levels and allowed the ThermOil to come in contact with the tops(and some, below)of the plates...Uh Oh! I just refilled with distilled water and after a couple of hours on the genny, all was well. Anyway, in the 4 years of having the mineral oil in our batts, their compartment is still like the day I repainted it...well except for the dust and dirt. Our house batteries are original...over 10 years old. I believe in this mineral oil thing enough that when these batteries give up the ghost, I'll be using the stuff.

If anyone decides to give it a try, do make sure you fully charge your batteries and check each cell to make sure you don't have a cell that is below standard.

There's a video that is about the best explanation I've come across...if you're interested. I have no affiliation w/TO.

Irrefutable Proof - Therm Oil

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #102

These are my batteries after 18 months since adding Mineral Oil. Have not added any water to date. Sorry for the upside down pic. Not sure what happened there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	60934  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Geez dennis, I have 'tray' envy.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Geez dennis, I have 'tray' envy.

Thanks, but I owe it all to the Mineral Oil. LOL

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #105

IF.. you have ever worked on or had to deal with wet cell batteries, the addition of a few oz's of mineral oil per cell has a history that started with the inventor of the battery.
As for the makers of batteries, consider.. they have an agenda. They take it for granted that most people NEVER go to the trouble of checking their batteries.
I have not heard of a great many things that can be done with batteries but this is something I have lived with all of my life.
Mineral oil will not mix with sulfuric acid and it will GREATLY reduce vapor along with many of the issues that are created with vapor. It also seals out a good percentage of O2 which reduces sulfation and improves storage life by reducing batter discharge. pc
Old 04-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
WOW! I can't believe that this thread has come back to life.

Thomas Edison was commissioned to build and maintain the battery system for the railroad in NY, if I recall my history correctly. He used mineral oil in his batteries to reduce maintenance expenses. The acid does not react with the oil as one would guess.

Fill the battery cells to their normal level and add enough mineral oil to cover the electrolyte. The oil quantity is not critical because it is inert. It interacts with the function of the battery in the same way grammar's paraffin did on her special jam she made. It simply sealed the air out and kept the jam fresh. Edison knew this. You can find his mineral oil bottles in antique shops. There was a time when even the phone company used this practice.

Oil your wet cell batteries with confidence. Greater men than us already have.

Rick